• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Browns get Watson

cwerph

Go Bucks!
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is hard to read comments for people trying to defend, its cringe worthy to read and embarrassing for them to say. They completely disrespect those 22 women treating them all like money grabbers, acting like all the women were hookers and not professional therapists or something similar. And they say how Watson is innocent because he didn’t go to jail, as if that is how it works, they pretend so obtuse to think any different. But they know the court system is a rigged system and those same people will complain about so and so should of went to jail. Right, OJ was guilty, but Watson wasn't.
Just curious - did you read the Watson legal team's response? I know that BOTH sides file allegations, but if they have proof that some of these 22 bragged about what they did with Watson, accepted multiple appointments with him, never complained or called the cops, etc., it makes me at least wonder. Curious that several of them killed all of their social media accounts. Wonder what was on some of them.

Dee Haslem is the gatekeeper. She is huge into women's rights and other crap like that. If she was convinced after the investigations the team did, it at least gives me pause.

I have no idea if Watson did what was alleged, but neither do you, and we will probably never know. The alleged victims will all settle for a piece of that $45 bonus and sign iron-clad NDA's. Watson will start some sexual abuse victims' charity and pour some $$$ into it as will the Browns.

In the meantime, Steelers fans can give Browns fans advise on how to root for a creepy QB.

The league will suspend him for 8 games, he will appeal during the suspension and the will probably reduce it to 6. That is the precedent they set with Roethlisburger.

cwerph

Go Bucks!
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For next season, beyond that? Meh.
They've already converted it to a small base with a large signing bonus. These Ivy Leaguers know how to manipulate the cap.

BTW they have done that with about 10 players.

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 30,055.69
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They've already converted it to a small base with a large signing bonus. These Ivy Leaguers know how to manipulate the cap.

BTW they have done that with about 10 players.
I know, I read about it.

They can see what he does next season and if it isn't great.....let him walk.

UnrealTerm04

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He didn't have much of a running game and their defense was decimated with injuries.

My point exactly... Just because they picked up Watson doesn't mean they will be a powerhouse.

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 30,055.69
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point exactly... Just because they picked up Watson doesn't mean they will be a powerhouse.
Nobody said they would be but they are way better with Watson than Mayfield.

The Browns have Hunt and Chubb at RB and a solid defense.

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its years away, but when the time comes, how the hell can Cincinnati pay both Burrow and Chase while fielding a competitive team seeing this contract... It doesn't help its Cincinnati. Not exactly a market that has a truck full of money.

Hmph...
I was thinking about that today. Watson is going to a competitive div. Burrow or Watson? Don’t trust the Ravens QB to get over the hump, and Steelers are in QB quagmire.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
It is hard to read comments for people trying to defend, its cringe worthy to read and embarrassing for them to say. They completely disrespect those 22 women treating them all like money grabbers, acting like all the women were hookers and not professional therapists or something similar. And they say how Watson is innocent because he didn’t go to jail, as if that is how it works, they pretend so obtuse to think any different. But they know the court system is a rigged system and those same people will complain about so and so should of went to jail. Right, OJ was guilty, but Watson wasn't.

The fact of the matter is a grand jury didn't even feel there was enough evidence for there to be criminal charges. So the evidence brought forth was flimsy enough that a 12 person grand jury didn't feel it was worth even being put to trial. That by no means makes him innocent but again it doesn't make him guilty either and in the eyes of the law he's just not guilty not innocent.

What I disagree with personally is the notion that even after he was cleared criminally that he should be treated as if he's guilty. That teams should take some moral high ground and not sign him based on accusations that were investigated, evidence brought before a grand jury, and dismissed afterwards. I mean when is it ok for him to move on with his life? What's the expiration date on the accusations?

And I'm not saying all these women are lying gold diggers and Watson is innocent but he could also be innocent as well and we simply don't know because most of these kinds of cases end up being "he said, she said" deals with little in the way to prove it.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I assume you're reading this somewhere else because no one here is defending him on that level.

Seems a little strong to compare him to OJ though.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Are we supposed to treat him as guilty until proven innocent? That's not how things work (even though the NFL issues punishment based on it's own findings, which may be challenged in future negotiations as it seems inappropriate). The fact that none of the 22 accusations had enough evidence to bring charges, but are now in civil court does taint those accusations to some degree, but the final outcomes are yet to come.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are we supposed to treat him as guilty until proven innocent? That's not how things work (even though the NFL issues punishment based on it's own findings, which may be challenged in future negotiations as it seems inappropriate). The fact that none of the 22 accusations had enough evidence to bring charges, but are now in civil court does taint those accusations to some degree, but the final outcomes are yet to come.

I'd definitely bargain something like having a committee or something on these punishments. Given he was found innocent (not charged) in a court of law to turn around and then suspend him well after the fact is a bit excessive. Either the court result matters or it doesn't. The facts on this have been laid out for quite some time. He should definitely face suspension but it also should have been last year.

I'm not saying I'm going to be upset or anything over him being suspended...(because he should be) though.

But yes at the risk of repeating myself the timeline has been well drawn out past a reasonable point.

justanidiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is just all that is wrong with the NFL. Cannot have owners crying poor when they guarantee 230 million dollars to a guy they have never met, a guy the do not know when or if he will be available to play.
Cleveland said they did their due diligence by hiring a private detective to investigate, but the PI did not interview even 1 of the 22 women.
To me its pretty simple, they have a plan to get out of this, but that plan does not include having a quarterback in place. but guaranteeing 230 million dollars to this guy, maybe they don't.

cwerph

Go Bucks!
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is just all that is wrong with the NFL. Cannot have owners crying poor when they guarantee 230 million dollars to a guy they have never met, a guy the do not know when or if he will be available to play.
Cleveland said they did their due diligence by hiring a private detective to investigate, but the PI did not interview even 1 of the 22 women.
To me its pretty simple, they have a plan to get out of this, but that plan does not include having a quarterback in place. but guaranteeing 230 million dollars to this guy, maybe they don't.
Dee Haslem sits on the committee that investigates sexual assault accusations. They did interview at least some of the women, reportedly.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dee Haslem sits on the committee that investigates sexual assault accusations. They did interview at least some of the women, reportedly.
Yeah you don't know what to believe from reports. I mean look at "reports" in FA. It's all he said, she said. I'm over all of it

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW Berry and Stefanski didn't talk to Buzbee personally bc they didn't want anything leaked during the interview and trade process.

cwerph

Go Bucks!
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah you don't know what to believe from reports. I mean look at "reports" in FA. It's all he said, she said. I'm over all of it
Two women willing to be interviewed were upset by the manner in which NFL investigators questioned them. If this goes to depositions, it will probably be lots worse for them.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was my initial reaction, but who are you going to root for? Every team in the league has scumbags.

I don't root for players, I root for laundry. I was 9 the last time the Browns won the championship (before they renamed the game for a children's toy and started marketing the crap out of it). I've been with them for almost 60 years and have undoubtedly rooted for some pretty unsavory characters (both on the Browns and the Buckeyes).

I'm not rooting for a church choir and anyone who thinks their team is "clean" is fooling themselves.

I have always been a Browns fan and always will. But that doesn't mean I have to like Watson.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd definitely bargain something like having a committee or something on these punishments. Given he was found innocent (not charged) in a court of law to turn around and then suspend him well after the fact is a bit excessive. Either the court result matters or it doesn't. The facts on this have been laid out for quite some time. He should definitely face suspension but it also should have been last year.

I'm not saying I'm going to be upset or anything over him being suspended...(because he should be) though.

But yes at the risk of repeating myself the timeline has been well drawn out past a reasonable point.

He hasn't truly been found innocent; he hasn't been tried at all (not charged yet). Civil charges have been filed (I believe?)

He was essentially held out last year due to this activity, which should count towards any potential suspension. Unless further evidence comes to pass, I'm not sure what any suspension is based upon; are accusations enough to bring punishment? Certainly not legally.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that it is shaky to argue against Watson for alleged crimes that were never pursued and certainly never proven. What would concern me if I was a Browns fan has more to do with Watson's judgment or his interests.... I mean, even if the relations were legally and consensually approved, the dude obviously has some sort of weird ass controlling kink. Far be it from me to comment on what floats a man's boat, but the behavior itself is bizarre and makes me wonder about his future decision making - Particularly under stress, which is what this season and subsequent seasons should be for him.

The other issue I have is distraction. Yes, maybe Watson pays 22 of them and they all sign NDAs and never talk.... But maybe one or more of them balk at the payoff and decide they can make more selling their stories on the open market. And maybe it's even weirder than we think or have heard. These are the types of distractions that can hit in the middle of a season and cause issues. I refuse to believe Colin Kapernick wasn't worth employment because his kneeling was a distraction, if we can't acknowledge that TMZ's endless details of Watson's sexual exploits won't be a distraction.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that it is shaky to argue against Watson for alleged crimes that were never pursued and certainly never proven. What would concern me if I was a Browns fan has more to do with Watson's judgment or his interests.... I mean, even if the relations were legally and consensually approved, the dude obviously has some sort of weird ass controlling kink. Far be it from me to comment on what floats a man's boat, but the behavior itself is bizarre and makes me wonder about his future decision making - Particularly under stress, which is what this season and subsequent seasons should be for him.

The other issue I have is distraction. Yes, maybe Watson pays 22 of them and they all sign NDAs and never talk.... But maybe one or more of them balk at the payoff and decide they can make more selling their stories on the open market. And maybe it's even weirder than we think or have heard. These are the types of distractions that can hit in the middle of a season and cause issues. I refuse to believe Colin Kapernick wasn't worth employment because his kneeling was a distraction, if we can't acknowledge that TMZ's endless details of Watson's sexual exploits won't be a distraction.

Distraction is a concern, but there is no distraction bigger than having a giant hole at QB. Rodgers' views didn't affect his record-setting new contract. Roethlisberger's issues faded as the team had success. NFL teams will get past those issues. Cleveland has a strong roster and now has a proven entity at QB. Once any suspension actions are complete, it is on in Cleveland.