• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Browns get Watson

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watson will have all the money he ever thought possible.
Now comes the hard part.
Me? I don't think he will handle what lies ahead well, but he'll be rich.
Money solves everything.

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't wait to see the DeShaun Watson to Kareem Hunt pass play, it's called the masseuse kicker

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Insane if true …

A QB under 30 that has put up the numbers that Watson has so far getting a contract that big is hardly insane. Look at what Kirk Cousins got. Now realize that Watson is 3x the QB that Cousins is.

The contract is perfectly in line with the expectations that come with a QB like Watson.

Battlelyon

Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The contract is perfectly in line with the expectations that come with a QB like Watson.
Now Watson will face pressure unlike ever before. If the Browns don't win, people will be ready to pounce on him. People are already pouncing on him, he better hope Godell suspends him to give him time to get some of the heat off.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes, don't play football for a year, spend some time in court.... and then get one of the dumbest contracts in NFL history.

The amount per year makes sense... but FULLY guaranteed? If he gets injured or doesn't return to form (or now that he's paid just mails it in) the Browns are literally in the cellar through 2027. It was a very Browns esque thing to do.

And his 2020 season was great don't get me wrong, but 2018-19 were good, but nothing that blows my socks off.

Battlelyon

Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is hard to read comments for people trying to defend, its cringe worthy to read and embarrassing for them to say. They completely disrespect those 22 women treating them all like money grabbers, acting like all the women were hookers and not professional therapists or something similar. And they say how Watson is innocent because he didn’t go to jail, as if that is how it works, they pretend so obtuse to think any different. But they know the court system is a rigged system and those same people will complain about so and so should of went to jail. Right, OJ was guilty, but Watson wasn't.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, don't play football for a year, spend some time in court.... and then get one of the dumbest contracts in NFL history.

The amount per year makes sense... but FULLY guaranteed? If he gets injured or doesn't return to form (or now that he's paid just mails it in) the Browns are literally in the cellar through 2027. It was a very Browns esque thing to do.

And his 2020 season was great don't get me wrong, but 2018-19 were good, but nothing that blows my socks off.
If he forgets how to play football, yes, it was a very questionable decision by the Browns. Literally every player has an injury concern.

The problem with your opinion is if the Browns don’t get Watson their rebuild for the last 4 years is GONE. Baker was already set on leaving and even if he stays and plays well they either get nothing for him next year if he isn’t good or they give him $40M/$45M/ year if he does play well. If move off Baker you have a bridge QB this year, at best Matt Ryan but Keenum or Mariota is more likely. In 2023 you draft a QB, even if you hit on that QB in a big way, which is very unlikely, you don’t compete for 3-4 years. By this time your core and young players are 5 years older.
The Browns aren’t a destination for FA’s- they have to build through the draft to win. This was a rare opportunity. We can talk about off the field issues bc it’s legit but this is about football. I have said before I will never root for the guy personally but this is a business and the goal is to win. He’s 26 in his prime- this is an easy move to go for considering where the Browns have been for the last 30 years. Who cares about fully guaranteed LOL if you don’t make this move you are in the shitter for the next 4-5 years at least and it’s total possible it never works out and they start from scratch AGAIN. You just aren’t thinking about this from the Browns perspective.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he forgets how to play football, yes, it was a very questionable decision by the Browns. Literally every player has an injury concern.

The problem with your opinion is if the Browns don’t get Watson their rebuild for the last 4 years is GONE. Baker was already set on leaving and even if he stays and plays well they either get nothing for him next year if he isn’t good or they give him $40M/$45M/ year if he does play well. If move off Baker you have a bridge QB this year, at best Matt Ryan but Keenum or Mariota is more likely. In 2023 you draft a QB, even if you hit on that QB in a big way, which is very unlikely, you don’t compete for 3-4 years. By this time your core and young players are 5 years older.
The Browns aren’t a destination for FA’s- they have to build through the draft to win. This was a rare opportunity. We can talk about off the field issues bc it’s legit but this is about football. I have said before I will never root for the guy personally but this is a business and the goal is to win. He’s 26 in his prime- this is an easy move to go for considering where the Browns have been for the last 30 years. Who cares about fully guaranteed LOL if you don’t make this move you are in the shitter for the next 4-5 years at least and it’s total possible it never works out and they start from scratch AGAIN. You just aren’t thinking about this from the Browns perspective.

Again, was fine with the trade. It was the contract that baffled me.

You're also now stuck with Cooper's ridiculous contract as well.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,053.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that on it's face, the guaranteed money in the contract is mind boggling to say the least. It is just such a huge risk but it is something the Browns had to do to get Watson there and it was obvious they wanted him badly as that piece of the puzzle to get a SB. Watson wasn't going there without that deal, plain and simple.
On the other hand, paying Mayfield 40-45 mil wasn't going to work either because they don't believe in him. Drafting another QB is pointless. The Browns never seem to get that right so here they are. If this gets them to a SB in the next 2 years, it's a huge win. So the possible reward of that may well be worth the risk.
Only time will tell on all of these big offseason moves. The NFL landscape is definitely shifting. The star players are setting the terms more than ever before.

Ickey Shuffle

Do you have a minute to talk about Joe Burrow?
Supporting Member Level 1
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The star players are setting the terms more than ever before.

Its years away, but when the time comes, how the hell can Cincinnati pay both Burrow and Chase while fielding a competitive team seeing this contract... It doesn't help its Cincinnati. Not exactly a market that has a truck full of money.

Hmph...

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A QB under 30 that has put up the numbers that Watson has so far getting a contract that big is hardly insane. Look at what Kirk Cousins got. Now realize that Watson is 3x the QB that Cousins is.

It’s still insane !! Even if it’s the norm in the NFL, that’s the most guaranteed money ever, correct me if I’m wrong ..

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,053.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its years away, but when the time comes, how the hell can Cincinnati pay both Burrow and Chase while fielding a competitive team seeing this contract... It doesn't help its Cincinnati. Not exactly a market that has a truck full of money.

Hmph...
The cap will be going up and up. There's a lot of money out there. They will figure it out. Burrow is the only one worth worrying about right now and even that is a year or more out. Chase is 3 years away.

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Browns getting Watson doesn't necessarily mean they are going to be a powerhouse. His last season with the Texans, he had a 70% completion and 4823 yards 33 TDs and 7 INTs. Great numbers, but the Texans were 4-12. I get that he didn't have much to work with, but nothing is guaranteed.
Garbage time stats. Watson needs to prove he can lead a team.

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s still insane !! Even if it’s the norm in the NFL, that’s the most guaranteed money ever, correct me if I’m wrong ..

As long as the cap keeps going up, that’s a record that’s going to get broken at least a couple more times…

cwerph

Go Bucks!
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have you seen our qb room dude? Baker might be an upgrade. Plus he makes funny commercials. Work with me here.
One of the great positives for Browns fans is we won't be watching commercials for every football game from preseason to the superbowl with our QB in them.

cwerph

Go Bucks!
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you thin the league will suspend Watson for the entire season?

Personally as a Browns fan I can't root for him. He's a scumbag.
That was my initial reaction, but who are you going to root for? Every team in the league has scumbags.

I don't root for players, I root for laundry. I was 9 the last time the Browns won the championship (before they renamed the game for a children's toy and started marketing the crap out of it). I've been with them for almost 60 years and have undoubtedly rooted for some pretty unsavory characters (both on the Browns and the Buckeyes).

I'm not rooting for a church choir and anyone who thinks their team is "clean" is fooling themselves.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they will either bring back Landry and or sign Will Fuller to be the #2. Maybe draft a guy in the 2nd round

Browns do have 2 picks in the 3rd round and 2 picks in the 4th round- and will likely at least get a 3rd- if not more for Baker.

If Wentz can get 2 3rd round picks- Baker should get something comparable.

I hope they trade up for Chris Olave. Browns need a lot of d-line help though.
Wentz isn’t a one year rental.

Plus, he’s a better QB.

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 20,713.97
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Browns getting Watson doesn't necessarily mean they are going to be a powerhouse. His last season with the Texans, he had a 70% completion and 4823 yards 33 TDs and 7 INTs. Great numbers, but the Texans were 4-12. I get that he didn't have much to work with, but nothing is guaranteed.
He didn't have much of a running game and their defense was decimated with injuries.