• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Broncos 2016 Draft

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ps. From what I've heard there really isn't any bonifide standout LTs in this draft and your going to have to convert a RT you hope can make that transition to LT.

I would agree with this for the most part.

IMO there are a ton of good RT's in this draft, but you almost have to get them in the first few rounds OG's we can get some good ones later if we wait at the position.

But IMO we also don't really need a LT, we have Clady who will re-structure. I think we may target someone like Taylor Decker to play RT and move Sam to OG.

I wouldn't be shocked if we shop Vazkey too. He is a good player but doesn't exactly fit the zone scheme... We will see. I think we can do a lot of different stuff at OL this year that may not include HAVING to spend a lot of early picks on the area. I just don't want Schofield at RT... Ryan Harris actually wouldn't be bad at RT, just don't want to depend on him at LT. Clady coming back and re-structuring will allow us a lot of possibilities with current player and perhaps a draft pick early on. As much as our OLine sucked and as much as everything thinks we should load up in the draft on OL I don't think we need to. I think one early wouldn't hurt but without knowing what we do in FA yet I also feel like we aren't leaps and bounds away from at least having a decent OL. If Sam plays longer then 5 weeks this year we might be feeling a bit better too as he would be developing. When you throw in Clady and Sam's injuries with Garcia coming on late in the year we may not be as far off on the OL as many think.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would agree with this for the most part.

IMO there are a ton of good RT's in this draft, but you almost have to get them in the first few rounds OG's we can get some good ones later if we wait at the position.

But IMO we also don't really need a LT, we have Clady who will re-structure. I think we may target someone like Taylor Decker to play RT and move Sam to OG.

I wouldn't be shocked if we shop Vazkey too. He is a good player but doesn't exactly fit the zone scheme... We will see. I think we can do a lot of different stuff at OL this year that may not include HAVING to spend a lot of early picks on the area. I just don't want Schofield at RT... Ryan Harris actually wouldn't be bad at RT, just don't want to depend on him at LT. Clady coming back and re-structuring will allow us a lot of possibilities with current player and perhaps a draft pick early on. As much as our OLine sucked and as much as everything thinks we should load up in the draft on OL I don't think we need to. I think one early wouldn't hurt but without knowing what we do in FA yet I also feel like we aren't leaps and bounds away from at least having a decent OL. If Sam plays longer then 5 weeks this year we might be feeling a bit better too as he would be developing. When you throw in Clady and Sam's injuries with Garcia coming on late in the year we may not be as far off on the OL as many think.

To add to that everybody has to remember that with Sambrailo, Garcia, Paradis, and Schofield all of them this was the first year of getting any kind of NFL snaps in an actual game. I have listened to Schlereth talk about Kubiak's ZBS and he said that really it takes 1-2 years before you actually feel comfortable with what you are doing. We saw that as the year went on at least run blocking wise they improved. A ZBS requires all 5 players to work in unison. It is not so much about winning 1-on-1 battles but having the timing down with the guy next to you to set up the combo blocks while moving sideways and knowing when to peel off to the 2nd level. It is why we need a different style of OL compared to many teams with athleticism and great foot work more important than brute strength.

You are right Vasquez is kind of the odd man out. I honestly wouldn't mind us trading him and using some of that money to bring back Mathis as he is a good fit. That gives us some nice options then on the inside of possibly Garcia, Mathis, Paradis, Sambrailo (depending what we do at the tackle spot). I wouldn't mind an inside combo of any of those 3 guys or even continue with the rotation like we did this year to keep a guy like Mathis healthy. Bring back Harris to back up both OT spots again and Clady at a discounted rate then go out and draft a RT in the early rounds. Lots of guys I like for that RT spot in the early rounds. Then I would use a late round pick on my guy Willie Beavers who needs a year or two to develop and I think he could become a great LT in this league.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I made the comment quite awhile ago that because the LT draft was weak that Denver should resign Clady and that move right there would make Elways decision for the O line much easier. It gives you more flexibility and options with getting Sam back and the draft. Like you both reiterated too, if Clady is our LT, I think Denver could work the current players out just fine and not have to go 1st or even 2nd rd on a O lineman and have the luxury of best available or D need like interior, if Malik walks. Clady is a big key IMO as to how things unfold for Elway and the O line going forward.

nflbronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So at our draft position in RD 1 DL talent will be strongest option?

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It all depends on who we lose or gain to FA. If Malik walks then that position is certainly a logical consideration. If Malik and Oz are still on team and they retain Clady, I think Denver would be in position to go best available with maybe a little more enfice on O line in there depending on who they keep there. Going to be interesting for sure ;)

SpiritOf77

Lucas707
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Taylor Decker would fit perfectly with the Broncos, if for no other reason, to see all the confused combinations of his name we'd get from Mingo

Taylor Decker
Eric Taylor
Jordan Taylor
Taylor Norwood
Eric Jordan
Steven Tyler

SpiritOf77

Lucas707
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously

Decker's name has come up a lot lately, and I think he's be a great pick for the Broncos

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just kill it, Johnny!

: drops the mic :

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Taylor Decker would fit perfectly with the Broncos, if for no other reason, to see all the confused combinations of his name we'd get from Mingo

Taylor Decker
Eric Taylor
Jordan Taylor
Taylor Norwood
Eric Jordan
Steven Tyler

Eric decker?

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To add to that everybody has to remember that with Sambrailo, Garcia, Paradis, and Schofield all of them this was the first year of getting any kind of NFL snaps in an actual game. I have listened to Schlereth talk about Kubiak's ZBS and he said that really it takes 1-2 years before you actually feel comfortable with what you are doing. We saw that as the year went on at least run blocking wise they improved. A ZBS requires all 5 players to work in unison. It is not so much about winning 1-on-1 battles but having the timing down with the guy next to you to set up the combo blocks while moving sideways and knowing when to peel off to the 2nd level. It is why we need a different style of OL compared to many teams with athleticism and great foot work more important than brute strength.

You are right Vasquez is kind of the odd man out. I honestly wouldn't mind us trading him and using some of that money to bring back Mathis as he is a good fit. That gives us some nice options then on the inside of possibly Garcia, Mathis, Paradis, Sambrailo (depending what we do at the tackle spot). I wouldn't mind an inside combo of any of those 3 guys or even continue with the rotation like we did this year to keep a guy like Mathis healthy. Bring back Harris to back up both OT spots again and Clady at a discounted rate then go out and draft a RT in the early rounds. Lots of guys I like for that RT spot in the early rounds. Then I would use a late round pick on my guy Willie Beavers who needs a year or two to develop and I think he could become a great LT in this league.

Exactly more great points.

Beavers is a target on my draft board for Denver.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It depends how the draft board falls. We are so early in the draft process that honestly I would bet at least 1/3rd of the guys they have going in the 1st round right now will not and some surprise guys will rise quickly. Happens every year. Thankfully though for the Broncos this year it does look like DL and OL have some decent names where we would be picking 1st round. There are some linebackers though that could fall too that I could see the Broncos going after if Trevathan leaves. Jaylon Smith is a great example in I have seen him as a top-15 pick clear into the 2nd round. His talent before injury was easily 1st round though so I could see Elway looking at him as a major value pick just like the last few drafts where he has gone with the guy that is falling for a minor red flag.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carroo claims his ankle is good enough to roll at the combine now.

(Bad choice of words there aye?) lol

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So @Draft Crazy any thoughts on Kenneth Dixon? I've watched a couple of his games and while I see some major red flags like his pass blocking ability and that he likes to dance a bit too much in the backfield I honestly felt like I could see a bit of Clinton Portis in the kid. He has that great combination of quickness/speed/power/wiggle that you like to see in a RB. He lead all college football with averaging 3.7 yards after contact this year. He is a great receiver out of the backfield as well.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So @Draft Crazy any thoughts on Kenneth Dixon? I've watched a couple of his games and while I see some major red flags like his pass blocking ability and that he likes to dance a bit too much in the backfield I honestly felt like I could see a bit of Clinton Portis in the kid. He has that great combination of quickness/speed/power/wiggle that you like to see in a RB. He lead all college football with averaging 3.7 yards after contact this year. He is a great receiver out of the backfield as well.
I know. Not DC but I like the kid as a replacement for Hilman which is what I'm guessing your thinking. Not your " bell cow " back at NFL level though.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know. Not DC but I like the kid as a replacement for Hilman which is what I'm guessing your thinking. Not your " bell cow " back at NFL level though.

I'm thinking a little bit of a replacement for Hillman but he is bigger than Hillman by quite a bit. Hillman is 195 lbs. where Dixon is 215. So I can see him being that more bell cow guy. Yes at first I think he would be more the 2nd guy in behind Anderson but I do think he can turn into that 20-25 carry guy. I see him being able to run between the tackles a lot more than Hillman.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm thinking a little bit of a replacement for Hillman but he is bigger than Hillman by quite a bit. Hillman is 195 lbs. where Dixon is 215. So I can see him being that more bell cow guy. Yes at first I think he would be more the 2nd guy in behind Anderson but I do think he can turn into that 20-25 carry guy. I see him being able to run between the tackles a lot more than Hillman.
I will 2nd that notion of Dixon being stronger between tackles than Hilman plus he's been complimented on great vision as well, which Hilman struggled with more often than not.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will 2nd that notion of Dixon being stronger between tackles than Hilman plus he's been complimented on great vision as well, which Hilman struggled with more often than not.

Vision honestly was 1 of my 2 main problems with Hillman. This past year he worked on one of them in his fumbling issue. I was taught when playing RB that when you get into a crowd you have 2 hands on the ball and always try to carry the ball with the outside arm making it much hard to get it punched out. He always loved running through a crowd though with only one arm on the ball. Drove me nuts. He did do better this year.

Vision though where I would see this huge cut back lane for him to pick up at least 4 yards and instead he always thought he could beat guys to the outside for the big play. Just look at his individual carries in the playoffs and you see teams knew when he was in force him back into the middle because he struggles to see the hole to hit.

I appreciated Hillman this year much more than before and wish him well but we can definitely upgrade over what he brought to the table. To me Dixon adds that perfect combo of speed/strength and hopefully vision like you said to really do well in Kubiak's system. Seems like once he sees a hole he really does a great job of sticking his foot in the ground and boom he is gone 0-60 in 2 steps. Guys really struggled to take good angles on him which usually suggests a sneaky speed that players just don't expect.