• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bill Russell is the GOAT

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was one SOB on the boards and I usually watched the "game of the week" or whatever it was called back then.

Lakers vs. Celtics....Knicks vs.Celtics...OMFG!
:yahoo::suds::clap:

I bet it was awesome. The Lakers Celtics games with Magic and Bird were always so exciting. I couldn't wait for the game to start. I was always afraid Larry would do something to beat them in the end.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough. I hear ya. I saw some of the Showtime Laker/Celtic games when I was a kid. All the Bird-vs-Magic sensation was fun to play around with, but both squads had very complete teams. Damn those matchups were fun to watch.

Agreed.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Showtime vs Beantown will never be matched.

So unbelievably perfect in every sense.

It was meant to be.

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So far the only 2 arguments i have read are offense and why havent i seen him play.

His offense was well above average for the era. You havent seen him play because you havent tried. There is not a ton of footage but there is footage. Especially of him dunking over a player after taking it coast to coast. He was a world class athlete and he would have been great in any era. You can not give scientific advances to the modern era, had russell been born in the 80s he would have had them too. Ok if you do not want to give him credit for them but then you can not weigh his numbers against the modern era either because the game advanced. There has been no player as dominant as bill russell ever, and it is not close. Add in his intangibles and world class athleticism and he is the goat.

4thstreet

You should pay me for being here!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,850.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So far I have heard a lot of If Russell had been on this team.... If Russell hadn't had those players..., Nothing but IF THIS AND IF THAT. I get it that some in here don't like Russell - but he still has more championships than any other player ever to have played the gam and he is still better the Lebron

How about mentioning that there were only 8 teams in the league when he joined,and 14 his last year.

Damn near impossible to repeat these days with so many teams.

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh and the teammate argument but every team that is dominant has had a great team and russell still shined on that squad.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[/B]

How about mentioning that there were only 8 teams in the league when he joined,and 14 his last year.

wow. never thought of that.

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[/B]

If anything that makes it more impressive in a way, there were still a ton of colleges playing basketball but only the cream even got a job. Every game would be like an allstar game.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Showtime vs Beantown will never be matched.

So unbelievably perfect in every sense.

It was meant to be.

In the 80's, one of my closest friends was a die-hard Celtics fan. We found a pub that we used to go to that had close to a 50/50 ratio of Lakers fans and Celtics fans.

You could get a 32 oz. mug of beer for 2.00 and they always had a free happy hour buffet during Lakers/Celtics games.

It was awesome. The trash talk was epic and there was never a fight. After the game, there was usually a live band or DJ and the place would fill with women.

Damn I miss those days sometimes!!

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[/B]

Totally Irrelevent - You're just blowing smoke out your ass to take it away from and give it to Lebron

ThruTheEyesOfRuby

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the 80's, one of my closest friends was a die-hard Celtics fan. We found a pub that we used to go to that had close to a 50/50 ratio of Lakers fans and Celtics fans.

You could get a 32 oz. mug of beer for 2.00 and they always had a free happy hour buffet during Lakers/Celtics games.

It was awesome. The trash talk was epic and there was never a fight. After the game, there was usually a live band or DJ and the place would fill with women.

Damn I miss those days sometimes!!

Whew.. I could imagine. Now *that*... is the stuff of life. That must have been a shitload of fun.

If it wasn't for those Laker/Celtic matchups I saw as a kid I don't know if my interest in the NBA today would be what it is. I always hope that some rivalry will aspire to that.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Totally Irrelevent - You're just blowing smoke out your ass to take it away from and give it to Lebron

It is totally RELEVANT. I don't see how you could say such a thing. The competition was nowhere near what it is today.

:wtf:

Brahmsian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not jealous in the least. I have too much respect for the Celtics to be jealous.

Besides, since the 70's, the Lakers have the advantage.

11 NBA titles for the Lakers to 6 for the Celtics.

Head to Head for NBA titles since the 70's also favors the Lakers 3-2.

The Lakers didn't have Rick Pitino demonstrating that he was a better recruiter than coach for any of those years. The Celtics, unfortunately, did.

That has to affect the stats.

THANK GOODNESS the Celtics canned Pitino! I wish they'd done it earlier!

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whew.. I could imagine. Now *that*... is the stuff of life. That must have been a shitload of fun.

If it wasn't for those Laker/Celtic matchups I saw as a kid I don't know if my interest in the NBA today would be what it is. I always hope that some rivalry will aspire to that.

Unfortunately if the cba works as stated these dynasties and rivalries are a thing of the past. The cba may be aiding competitive balance but it is certainly watering down the product.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Each team had the same opportunity that the other teams had - Totally irrelevent

disgraced.gif.pagespeed.ce.RB8yPeKda4.gif

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers didn't have Rick Pitino demonstrating that he was a better recruiter than coach for any of those years. The Celtics, unfortunately, did.

That has to affect the stats.

THANK GOODNESS the Celtics canned Pitino! I wish they'd done it earlier!

Rick Pitino was Boston's coach from 1997-2001. What happened from 1986 to 1997 and from 2002-2007? Was Pitino such a horrible coach that he prevented the Celtics from winning titles for 10 years BEFORE he became your coach and an additional 5 years after he left?

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SoCal resident being envious of the Celtics. Hardly unprecedented.

Dad? Is that you? :pound: You sound just like my Dad. He lived in LA during the glory days of the Lakers and was a die-hard Boston fan. Can you tell I have practice with this shit? :D

Flauge

Still a Heat fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Norris Cole is the GOAT. 2 years 2 titles. He's coming for you Bill!!! 25 years from now Norris Cole will be handing out the finals mvp trophy.