• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bill Russell is the GOAT

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I believe it. I just believe it is you who posses it.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^ Irrational, illogical iteration

I think your Khazarian brain has been overworked, sir. Probably due to your other genetic deficiencies. I do apologize. I know it must be difficult to have that bestowed upon you and have no say in the matter.

Am I Blue Through it All?

Herald of the Apocalypse
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am sure this topic has been beaten to death by now. For my part, Russell may have been the smartest man ever to lace them up. First point center ever to play the game. I doubt he is the greatest player ever in many peoples eyes because his physical abilities (while exceptional) were not commensurate with his accomplishments.

Personally, I think Oscar was the best ever closely followed by Wilt. But hey, it is all just opinion.

HuskerCradle2Grave

Big Red in the Big Ten!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So far the only 2 arguments i have read are offense and why havent i seen him play.

His offense was well above average for the era. You havent seen him play because you havent tried. There is not a ton of footage but there is footage. Especially of him dunking over a player after taking it coast to coast. He was a world class athlete and he would have been great in any era. You can not give scientific advances to the modern era, had russell been born in the 80s he would have had them too. Ok if you do not want to give him credit for them but then you can not weigh his numbers against the modern era either because the game advanced. There has been no player as dominant as bill russell ever, and it is not close. Add in his intangibles and world class athleticism and he is the goat.

His offense was mediocre at best. Career 45%FG shooter. As a center. That is embarrassing..

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His offense was mediocre at best. Career 45%FG shooter. As a center. That is embarrassing..

Please read the entire post, that I have posted twice because you seem to ignore the important part. Compare his FG% among the players of his time. It is WELL ABOVE AVERAGE!!!

THE GAME EVOLVES!!! You can't really think that we could take people from the Roman Empire and expect them to operate a car with out them learning how?

It is the same in basketball, training improves and rules change.

HuskerCradle2Grave

Big Red in the Big Ten!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please read the entire post, that I have posted twice because you seem to ignore the important part. Compare his FG% among the players of his time. It is WELL ABOVE AVERAGE!!!

THE GAME EVOLVES!!! You can't really think that we could take people from the Roman Empire and expect them to operate a car with out them learning how?

It is the same in basketball, training improves and rules change.

Actually, not so much.

Tom Heinsohn, PF/SF, FG% .405
Bob Cousy, PG, FG% .375
Bill Sharmon, SG, FG% .426
Sam Jones, SG/PG/SF, FG% .456
John Havlicek, SG/SF, FG% .439

All teammates of Bill. A center with a worse FG% than a SG/PG/SF? Come on man. That sucks.

And for the record, in the 50's Bill's FG% was comparable to the league. But starting in the 60's (in Bill's prime) he wasn't even close. And never once in his career was he a top ten scorer. Face it. His offense was weak...

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1st he had the 2nd highest FG% on the best team in the league so who's point are you trying to make?

Next his is FG% was pretty consistent his entire career.

In his 1st 4 years he was 5th, 3rd, 2nd and 4th in FG%. Seeing how his FG% did not drop significantly I assume a lot of better shooters came into the league, or a rule change. (Only one I found though was in 1964 to widen the lane which should aid in SGs getting into the lane and make centers move more on O.)

He also averaged 4.3 apg and his PER was top 10 for 8 of his seasons. His PER is also 96th all time.

Bill Russell is no offensive legend but he is still well above average.

MI Nightmare

Slow Roller
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,317.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Jordan
2. Chamberlain
3. Magic
4. Russell
5. Abdul-Jabbar

_Xer0_

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wilt Chamberlain is the greatest player the NBA has EVER seen.

_Xer0_

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i would take Ben Wallace in his PRIME over Bill Russel and i'm dead serious.

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
View attachment 8024

Not sure if trolling...

attachment.php

:wtf:

_Xer0_

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would take the time to explain it, but I do not cast pearls before swine. Research on your own how Russell revolutionized the game. There are several sources.

i've read enough of it and have seen enough to form my conclusion.

Russell is/was massively overrated.