• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bill Russell is the GOAT

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trojan, the years before were tied to two items, one was failing to trade away stars like Bird/Parish in their twilight years, and the sad death of Bias and our Captain Reggie Lewis.

Pitino years caused the 2001 to 2005 demise. he traded away future picks and signed contracts for players past their prime. It took Boston 5 more years to clean that up. They were more focused on marketing and filling seats then the product.

I think you now know why I tell you that what I see in LA is what I saw then in Boston. Total dis-organization and no plan. That said, even at our worse we never made quite the blunders that are taking place now. Looks like Danny learned from the past.

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the record, MJ is the GOAT. Bill is second in my book.

Next Level down is Bird/Magic

After that many can debate. I do think Lebron is not far away from Bird/Magic status.

4thstreet

You should pay me for being here!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,850.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Totally Irrelevent - You're just blowing smoke out your ass to take it away from and give it to Lebron

wrong IMO

If you're gonna add his rings to his legacy,then by the same logic shouldn't Henri Richard with his above average stats,and being a Hall of Famer-along with his 11Stanley Cup rings be in the G.O.A.T class for the NHL?

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Norris Cole is the GOAT. 2 years 2 titles. He's coming for you Bill!!! 25 years from now Norris Cole will be handing out the finals mvp trophy.

Why not Derek Fisher instead ?? he has 5 titles as a starting PG, Cole is just a back up scrub!

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

After that many can debate. I do think Lebron is not far away from Bird/Magic status.

Career stats:

MJ - 30.1 ppg, 6.2 rpg, 5.5 apg, 2.3 steals per game, 0.8 blocks per game

Magic - 19.5 ppg, 7.2 rpg, 11.2, apg, 1.9 steals per game, 0.4 blocks per game

Bird - 24.3 ppg, 10.0 rpg, 6.3 apg, 1.7 steals per game, 0.8 blocks per game.

Considering that assists mean made baskets and only counting each assist as 2 points, MJ was responsible for approx. 40 of his teams team's ppg, Magic for 42 of his team's ppg and Bird 36 of his team's ppg.

I'd say that Magic and Bird have just as strong a case as MJ.

TheDangerousKitchen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Career stats:

MJ - 30.1 ppg, 6.2 rpg, 5.5 apg, 2.3 steals per game, 0.8 blocks per game

Magic - 19.5 ppg, 7.2 rpg, 11.2, apg, 1.9 steals per game, 0.4 blocks per game

Bird - 24.3 ppg, 10.0 rpg, 6.3 apg, 1.7 steals per game, 0.8 blocks per game.

Considering that assists mean made baskets and only counting each assist as 2 points, MJ was responsible for approx. 40 of his teams team's ppg, Magic for 42 of his team's ppg and Bird 36 of his team's ppg.

I'd say that Magic and Bird have just as strong a case as MJ.

Jordan separates himself (from Magic and Bird) on the Defensive end, as he was vastly superior. Jordan is also regarded as the greatest / most clutch Playoffs / Finals performer.

Brahmsian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rick Pitino was Boston's coach from 1997-2001. What happened from 1986 to 1997 and from 2002-2007? Was Pitino such a horrible coach that he prevented the Celtics from winning titles for 10 years BEFORE he became your coach and an additional 5 years after he left?

My less than photographic memory appears to have failed me. He WAS a terrible coach, however.

I believe he also was an assistant GM or de-facto head of scouting for some of those years, so his personnel decisions could have been partially responsible for some of the poor results after he left. Then again I could just be grasping at straws.

The time before he became our coach he couldn't have been responsible for, I'll grant you that.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Russell is probably the 2nd to 3rd best Celtic. Certainly behind Bird. He just isn't on that level. I know it's hard for some of the guys (that actually watched him play) to accept. I realize that. I hope you guys can find happiness, I really do.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wrong IMO

If you're gonna add his rings to his legacy,then by the same logic shouldn't Henri Richard with his above average stats,and being a Hall of Famer-along with his 11Stanley Cup rings be in the G.O.A.T class for the NHL?

I don't write legacies - historians do and history has already judged Bill Russell as one of the G.O.A.T. That was not my doing - you can bitch and whine all you want to, but it's not going to change the fact that history has already placed Russell in the top five players ever if not the best ever. Perhaps you should go back and watch some of those games and learn for yourself why so many call him that

4thstreet

You should pay me for being here!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,850.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't write legacies - historians do and history has already judged Bill Russell as one of the G.O.A.T. That was not my doing - you can bitch and whine all you want to, but it's not going to change the fact that history has already placed Russell in the top five players ever if not the best ever. Perhaps you should go back and watch some of those games and learn for yourself why so many call him that

I,m typing slow,so you can understand.Not once did I mention where he should be placed on list.

I stated how many teams in league when he played,and that his amount of rings,should have no bearing because of it.
:L

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I,m typing slow,so you can understand.Not once did I mention where he should be placed on list.

I stated how many teams in league when he played,and that his amount of rings,should have no bearing because of it.
:L

By now I would have thought you was smart enough to figure it out - you are correct in pointing out that championships alone does not make a player one of the greatest. Some of those role players would be Robert Horry, Derek Fisher and many others. What makes Bill Russell one of the greatest of all time is the fact that he was both a great player in leadership position and a championship winner. Russell did it all - and he has done more then Lebron has done. As I have said before - the many experts, critics and etc have placed Bill Russell at the top in that list. A bunch of wannabe Heat fans simply cannot take that away

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By the way - only Bill Russell has 11 rings in the NBA - no other player comes close.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By the way - only Bill Russell has 11 rings in the NBA - no other player comes close.

He play games by himself or is basketball a team sport? HE didn't win shit, his teams did. He had very talented teammates as well.