• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Big12 to David Boren:

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only reason NU is in the B1G is b/c Texas and ND turned down their invites the 1st time around. Remember the B1G had to "settle" for their 3rd choice in Nebraska. All it takes is one phone call from our AD to Delany and he's blowing a load in his pants and extending that invite again....
...but Donghorn Neckwork?

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas will never come to the B1G unless they bring in three other schools to form a voting block. Texas is not man enough to go by itself to any conference because for some reason, most of the conferences want to screw Texas over. If you really think that the PAC 12 with Larry Scott or the B1G Jim Delany or the ACC and John Swofford or the SEC are going to bend over backwards for Texas demands, think again. Some have already tried that and been burned big time by Texas, they won't do it again. Which is exactly what Larry Scott told Texas in 2011.

Texas will ALWAYS keep the RRSO with Oklahoma, it is the only game that they have left that makes Texas relevant. Oklahoma knows this. Oklahoma has already forced Texas to meet demands in 2011, time to do it again.

In 2011, Deloss Dodds and William Powers got on the airplane and made promises to Oklahoma to keep them happy. Looks like those promises might have been broken by the new administration and it has irked Boren to the point to start shaking it up again.

I think Boren is playing his hand quite well. Supposedly, Boren was on an airplane, he left the Big 12 meeting, when the KSU President spoke up. The Kansas President was not even in that meeting, he was in another meeting.

After that, Bowlsby was shown in a photo at an Oklahoma basketball game, talking with Boren at Courtside. Bowlsby had to go to him, not vice versa.

kap1959

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas will never come to the B1G unless they bring in three other schools to form a voting block. Texas is not man enough to go by itself to any conference because for some reason, most of the conferences want to screw Texas over. If you really think that the PAC 12 with Larry Scott or the B1G Jim Delany or the ACC and John Swofford or the SEC are going to bend over backwards for Texas demands, think again. Some have already tried that and been burned big time by Texas, they won't do it again. Which is exactly what Larry Scott told Texas in 2011.

Texas will ALWAYS keep the RRSO with Oklahoma, it is the only game that they have left that makes Texas relevant. Oklahoma knows this. Oklahoma has already forced Texas to meet demands in 2011, time to do it again.

In 2011, Deloss Dodds and William Powers got on the airplane and made promises to Oklahoma to keep them happy. Looks like those promises might have been broken by the new administration and it has irked Boren to the point to start shaking it up again.

I think Boren is playing his hand quite well. Supposedly, Boren was on an airplane, he left the Big 12 meeting, when the KSU President spoke up. The Kansas President was not even in that meeting, he was in another meeting.

After that, Bowlsby was shown in a photo at an Oklahoma basketball game, talking with Boren at Courtside. Bowlsby had to go to him, not vice versa.

This is a cute post.

Wheat

High Plains Drifter...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
boy, sure a whole lot of whorn angst in here, lmao!~

you boys need to lighten up...

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cincinnati
South Florida
Notre Dame
Colorado State
Central Florida
Well, the one in the middle definitely brings more television demand revenue than increasing the conference divisor would create. I'm not sure ND wants to take a cut in pay though.

I doubt any of the others would bring in the same or more.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I CAN be sure of is this:

Texas fans wont be whining and bitching after it's all done.
Well of course they won't. They can more than make up any lost TV revenue from BMDs and tee shirt, etc sales if need be. Like Jerry Jones, $$$ ain't their problem and wasn't prior to the LHN. Like JJ, wins are the problem.

The frickin' Cowgirls averaged 92,000 fans for a 4-12 team.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Board of Regents love David Boren so he isn't going anywhere until he decides to retire on his own. He is the strongest President the University has had since George Cross who led OU for 25 years. George Cross was quite a man. As a young man, I had the privilege of spending a lot of time with him and a group of other OU alums who got together on Friday afternoons just to have drinks and visit for a couple of hours. I have my issues with David Boren but I and everyone else who knows him will admit one thing: he's smart as hell and his sole focus is OU. Boren's hot button is improving the academics at OU and he is pissed off/frustated to the nth degree with the University's lack of funding to accomplish everything he wants to do on the academic side.

So if you are a president in another P5 conference right now do you like what you see from Boren as a potential peer? Will your conversations that you want kept private remain private when it comes to him if he deems it ok to tell the world?
He may well be hurting OU's chances at a move somewhere rather than helping it iyam if that is indeed his goal.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So if you are a president in another P5 conference right now do you like what you see from Boren as a potential peer? Will your conversations that you want kept private remain private when it comes to him if he deems it ok to tell the world?
He may well be hurting OU's chances at a move somewhere rather than helping it iyam if that is indeed his goal.

David Boren was the longest serving chairman of the U.S. Senate Select Committee on Intelligence there has ever been and he currently serves as co-chair of the nonpartisan U.S. President's Intelligence Advisory Board. I had an opportunity to speak privately for a few minutes with former CIA Director Robert Gates about 15 years ago when he spoke at OU and he had the highest praise for Boren's discretion. I doubt another conference would seriously question Boren's judgement about when it's proper to talk and when to keep a secret. He can see the conference is suffering from bureaucratic atherosclerosis so he isn't hesitating to cut through all the BS from the commissioner's office on down through everyone else who doesn't want to rock the boat.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boren is just striking the same refrain-even though he may have good motives in seeking to increase revenues for the school side of the equation- yet it's still the same: comes down to Texas being the problem/cause/whatever.

Hell, let everybody go wherever they think they can go. Then, when it turns out to not be as rosy as they thought it would be, they can then blame someone else besides Texas. Oh wait, they'll still be blaming Texas. And the Huskers will still be singing the same tune even though it's now out of date, so I guess we'll never see the end of it...

Just keep the RRSO, and I'm good. I don't care where we go anymore. Someone ought to start a movement, form a new conference, pick a bunch of power programs, sell it to the TV honchos, and go with it.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well, yeah I guess Texas is happy? Not sure. They are happy with the money they get, I'd assume. But are they happy only having one blue blood to play every year in conference? I'm not so sure.

Of course, they play some big programs in OOC scheduling, but that does not count for this discussion.

but they will get money wherever they go, so I don't think it's a big deal.

Texas will be important wherever they go, because they have a large following. Just like the other big time schools/programs. All this talk of having to be the 'top dog' is overrated imo. And those people, who believed that, are long gone. The BMD's have some say, but if the program can win some games, they'll shut up.

As opposed to what?? Playing two some of the time in conference?? NU was the only other blue blood ever in the B12 besides ya's and OU. An you guys didn't play them every year.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is Iowa State.

They should give all their profit to the big boys in the conference (UT,OU,WVU) and let them disperse the revenue as they see fit.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As opposed to what?? Playing two some of the time in conference?? NU was the only other blue blood ever in the B12 besides ya's and OU. An you guys didn't play them every year.

No, I forgot about WVU. They were good for the conference, no doubt about it.

You make good points, I'm thinking about all the talk I heard around these parts when Aggies went to the SEC. They pounded us for our home schedule, whereas they had Bama/LSU/Florida, etc.

Some Texas folks were looking at their season tickets, and where you had, one recent year, no exciting big names coming to town. Kansas, Rice, Baylor, Tcu, etc.

Not belittling WVU at all, or rather didn't mean to.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I should not have used 'blue blood' as I forgot we nailed down the definition a while back...I meant big time programs, big draws, the kind that fill the seats.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I forgot about WVU. They were good for the conference, no doubt about it.

You make good points, I'm thinking about all the talk I heard around these parts when Aggies went to the SEC. They pounded us for our home schedule, whereas they had Bama/LSU/Florida, etc.

Some Texas folks were looking at their season tickets, and where you had, one recent year, no exciting big names coming to town. Kansas, Rice, Baylor, Tcu, etc.

Not belittling WVU at all, or rather didn't mean to.

I didn't take it as you belittling WVU. I just really want this conference to stay together because I am worried for my boys being let out in the cold.

I understand you guys are frustrated with people complaining and OU peeps frustrated with stays quo. But us WVU people just want to stay together.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't take it as you belittling WVU. I just really want this conference to stay together because I am worried for my boys being let out in the cold.

I understand you guys are frustrated with people complaining and OU peeps frustrated with stays quo. But us WVU people just want to stay together.

I've been in the 'just stay together' crowd for five years now. The main reason is this: I believe Texas does not really fit in the other places, geography-wise and the differing personality/people-wise. I mean, the PAC is so damn far away, two time zones, plus their nature toward football is a little different; SEC is the deep South, which Texas is not; B1G is cold and now East Coasty...Texans just are not any of those.

So I'd rather, in a perfect world, stay where we are, and get some other programs to come in. Arkansas was a long time Texas foe, but other that A&M, there is no one really else in this area to ad.

And yes, it has gotten old listening to people rail on the past, and how big bad bully Texas ruined everything. I just have never seen how Texas had that much power, for example over a place like Nebraska? They are a CFB powerhouse, and yet we were the bullies? I just have never understood that, and I'm tired of rehashing it.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't matter if OKLAHOMA is frustrated with the status quo.
They might even be right. I actually agree with most of OKLAHOMA's positions.
The issue is not whether OKLAHOMA is right or wrong.

OKLAHOMA agreed NOT to speak out on the official business details (right or wrong).
They signed off on the official policy like everyone else after K-State told them to shut the fuck up.

K-State sat Boren down and told him not to speak up again.
He agreed and everyone bound themselves to that contract.

Boren lasted about 1 week....before he broke the rules and possibly a verbal contract.
I hope K-State proposes a penalty enforcement fine against Oklahoma next time Boren runs his mouth.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good point.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boren is just striking the same refrain-even though he may have good motives in seeking to increase revenues for the school side of the equation- yet it's still the same: comes down to Texas being the problem/cause/whatever.

Hell, let everybody go wherever they think they can go. Then, when it turns out to not be as rosy as they thought it would be, they can then blame someone else besides Texas. Oh wait, they'll still be blaming Texas. And the Huskers will still be singing the same tune even though it's now out of date, so I guess we'll never see the end of it...

Just keep the RRSO, and I'm good. I don't care where we go anymore. Someone ought to start a movement, form a new conference, pick a bunch of power programs, sell it to the TV honchos, and go with it.
I'm thinking this will happen eventually...unless the power programs don't mind subsidizing others so they can have less taxing schedules. After all, they subsidize the meat they pay to come in for ass whoopin's like my Miners.