• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Big12 to David Boren:

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Transform that LHN network to the Big12 network pick up

Houston
Temple (Philly)
UCF (Orlando)
USF (Tampa)

And roll with it then. Get 5 top 20 TV markets and draw up a tv deal, let's see what happens.
I can't see Orlando and Tampa folks wanting to watch UCF/USF vs Iowa State or TCU more than watching UF, FSU or Miami regardless of who those teams play.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
O
I can't see Orlando and Tampa folks wanting to watch UCF/USF vs Iowa State or TCU more than watching UF, FSU or Miami regardless of who those teams play.

What about 10 years from now? I think that's the angle Boren is talking about (trying to play along with him here and be open to his ideas). Didn't stop the BIG from adding Maryland and Rutgers, they wanted a footprint in those tv markets above anything else.

Awful lot of people in those Demographics, a new generation could be swayed towards the Big12 rather than SEC or ACC. That's a passionate part of the country when it comes to CFB. Temple and Philly... Honestly , I don't see it happening but, never know. Other than geography I like Houston as an add more than Cincy or UConn ect.. And there is Tulane in New Orleans, little bigger "project" IMO but every conference has there doormats. Everyone wants to bang on KU right now and they ARE awful but it wasn't that long ago that they were Orange bowl champions, can't say that about the Indiana's, NCState's and Boston Colleges of the world. Maybe we can afford a "reach" school like that:noidea:.

Really need to be in the meeting room with those consultants to know how close or far away some of these schools really are as far as being a legit possibility.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still don't understand why Boren wants a network. Cable TV will be a thing of the past soon, and no chance espn or fox will throw a bunch of money at another conference network. OU needs to count their blessings they're getting 5mil a year from Fox, because a big 12 network would net around 1 mil a year ala pac 12 network.

I'm not saying I don't believe you but do you have anything as far as a link to back that up? I've seen that claim before and tend to believe it but not sure I've seen a study/article on it. I think Stampede had something in it once but I don't remember for sure.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
O

What about 10 years from now? I think that's the angle Boren is talking about (trying to play along with him here and be open to his ideas). Didn't stop the BIG from adding Maryland and Rutgers, they wanted a footprint in those tv markets above anything else.

Awful lot of people in those Demographics, a new generation could be swayed towards the Big12 rather than SEC or ACC. That's a passionate part of the country when it comes to CFB. Temple and Philly... Honestly , I don't see it happening but, never know. Other than geography I like Houston as an add more than Cincy or UConn ect.. And there is Tulane in New Orleans, little bigger "project" IMO but every conference has there doormats. Everyone wants to bang on KU right now and they ARE awful but it wasn't that long ago that they were Orange bowl champions, can't say that about the Indiana's, NCState's and Boston Colleges of the world. Maybe we can afford a "reach" school like that:noidea:.

Really need to be in the meeting room with those consultants to know how close or far away some of these schools really are as far as being a legit possibility.
I guess anything is possible but I'm beginning to think the current 10 will have their Tier 1 and 2 share go down when the divisor becomes 12 instead of 10. But, it may be worth it to get to 12 if that is what is needed.

But, I'm old school and more interested in the quality of football than the revenue. Old fashioned, huh?

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess anything is possible but I'm beginning to think the current 10 will have their Tier 1 and 2 share go down when the divisor becomes 12 instead of 10. But, it may be worth it to get to 12 if that is what is needed.

But, I'm old school and more interested in the quality of football than the revenue. Old fashioned, huh?

Boren also told us all that the TV money would increase proportionately if new members are added.
It won't be the same money with 12 at the trough.

Funny. It was like some kind of secret until he told the world.
Wonder why people didn't want that info out there.
All of a sudden, any team you add pulls their own weight.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boren...

Funny. It was like some kind of secret until he told the world.
Wonder why people didn't want that info out there.
All of a sudden, any team you add pulls their own weight.

if that's the case, then just get the best two athletics programs and roll with it.

Let me edit that: get the best two Football programs, and roll with it.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if that's the case, then just get the best two athletics programs and roll with it.

Then it would have to be BYU and who?

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well, what if we formed a Big12 network first out of LHN before doing anything else, with provisions for increase in money if we add valuable programs...

Then, ask some of those ACC schools ( who are still waiting on their conference network) if that GOR is as iron clad as people think?

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt any of the listed expansion candidates make us more money.

The Big 12 is already overpaid and has been for 5 years.
The Network deals acknowledge that they overpaid the Big 12 to stop the expansion and chaos.

It was done on purpose.
The Networks believed giving extra money to a smaller footprint was cheaper than all the existing deals being voided by a mad rush to grab Big 12 teams.

Expansion would have to first handle the overpayment. The Networks wont just give a raise for new markets.
The pay raise is already built in.....It is almost like an advance on payroll.

Any real raise would have to be a perfect candidate not the shoddy choices readily available.
No team like that exists unless the big 12 can somehow raid the ACC.

The only other way would be if OU and TEXAS threatened to leave and openly extorted extra money for lesser expansion candidates from ESPN and FOX.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt any of the listed expansion candidates make us more money.

The Big 12 is already overpaid and has been for 5 years.
The Network deals acknowledge that they overpaid the Big 12 to stop the expansion and chaos.

It was done on purpose.
The Networks believed giving extra money to a smaller footprint was cheaper than all the existing deals being voided by a mad rush to grab Big 12 teams.

Expansion would have to first handle the overpayment. The Networks wont just give a raise for new markets.
The pay raise is already built in.....It is almost like an advance on payroll.

Any real raise would have to be a perfect candidate not the shoddy choices readily available.
No team like that exists unless the big 12 can somehow raid the ACC.

The only other way would be if OU and TEXAS threatened to leave and openly extorted extra money for lesser expansion candidates from ESPN and FOX.

Yeah, you guys should do that.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or, we do nothing at all..... make a fortune from being overpaid.
And we see our league have both a CFB playoff team and a #1 seed in the NCAA

As long as the CFB is available, top bowl game affiliations are available, and multiple NCAA basketball berths, the Big 12 is still quite prestigious.

Expansion is a waste of time right now. There is not an obvious choice unless we raid the ACC.
All the leftover candidates don't have the facilities, geography, fan base, and market saturation to make sense.

And I am not sure any ACC team is really all that interested.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or, we do nothing at all..... make a fortune from being overpaid.
And we see our league have both a CFB playoff team and a #1 seed in the NCAA

As long as the CFB is available, top bowl game affiliations are available, and multiple NCAA basketball berths, the Big 12 is still quite prestigious.

Expansion is a waste of time right now. There is not an obvious choice unless we raid the ACC.
All the leftover candidates don't have the facilities, geography, fan base, and market saturation to make sense.

And I am not sure any ACC team is really all that interested.

I'm all for that but I don't want instability among certain members to have the conference implode and my teams on the outside looking in the P4/5 conferences. That's my only concern.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm all for that but I don't want instability

There is no real instability.

1) All the expansion candidates out there today will still be there in 5 years.
The Big 12 is not pressed to grab them today. There is no interest from anyone else. NO RUSH.

2) 6 of the 10 Big 12 teams cannot go anywhere. Nobody will take them even with partners.

3) OKLAHOMA and WVU would need partners as their TV market and academics are not fits with certain leagues.
That is the dirty secret that drives OKLAHOMA nuts.

4) Only KANSAS/TEXAS have the TV markets and academics to be valuable as solo or partners.
But, the Horns and Jayhawks are the two biggest supporters of not doing anything. They are a strong lockstep voting block who represent the leaders of the status quo faction. With Kansas and Texas completely happy, the stability is just fine.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm all for that but I don't want instability among certain members to have the conference implode and my teams on the outside looking in the P4/5 conferences. That's my only concern.

and that's a true concern. Who's giving the impression right now of instability? Boren is a mouthpiece for who and how many?

as to the question/point above: is a conference network the panacea everyone believes it is?

I don't know the answers to those questions. But I'm pretty sure Texas would be willing to roll LHN into a conference network, as long as they keep the contract from espins...don't know that for sure of course.

I'm just not sure the conference network is going to be the secret to making everybody's dreams come true. In fact, I bet programs like Baylor, ISU, etc. are ecstatic about the way things are right now. I mean as soon as the current tv contract was signed, Baylor started building their new stadium.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just an idea but maybe if the conference allowed OU to start the Locker Room Channel. Cameras in the locker rooms, showers, everything ---- but we pixelate the faces to safeguard anonymity. Yea we'll even do it in the men's locker rooms for the ladies' viewing pleasure. Gotta think OU could make some money on that.......maybe even pull in some viewers who are fans of teams outside the Big 12. Just trying to think outside the box here.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and that's a true concern. Who's giving the impression right now of instability? Boren is a mouthpiece for who and how many?

as to the question/point above: is a conference network the panacea everyone believes it is?

I don't know the answers to those questions. But I'm pretty sure Texas would be willing to roll LHN into a conference network, as long as they keep the contract from espins...don't know that for sure of course.

I'm just not sure the conference network is going to be the secret to making everybody's dreams come true. In fact, I bet programs like Baylor, ISU, etc. are ecstatic about the way things are right now. I mean as soon as the current tv contract was signed, Baylor started building their new stadium.

My only concerns is the B12 breaking up. I really don't care about the LHN or a B12 network. I just want to make sure my boys remain in a P5 conference. That's all

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My only concerns is the B12 breaking up. I really don't care about the LHN or a B12 network. I just want to make sure my boys remain in a P5 conference. That's all
Legit concern. But I think WVA will have a spot in one of the 4 mega conferences when it comes to that along with the Okie schools, Texas and Kansas...even though Kansas sucks in football. Can't say the same for ISU, Baylor, TCU, Tech and K-State...even if they are better than Purdue, Wake, Wazzou, etc.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will be interesting to see what money the B1G gets in the new contract, and if that money can be used to dislodge a couple of teams from their current conferences.

Fox Sports just bought Michigan State rights for $10,000,000 per year for 15 years. Texas has to pay their agent, IMG, something like 30% of what the LHN contract pays, Michigan State gets 100% of the money as no agent was involved.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will be interesting to see what money the B1G gets in the new contract, and if that money can be used to dislodge a couple of teams from their current conferences.

Fox Sports just bought Michigan State rights for $10,000,000 per year for 15 years. Texas has to pay their agent, IMG, something like 30% of what the LHN contract pays, Michigan State gets 100% of the money as no agent was involved.

I doubt they get any of the B12 teams unless it's Kansas/KSU. I would doubt OU or Texas would want to go in that direction. IMO I think if the B12 breaks up it's either to go west or east......PAC or SEC

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boren speaks.

Shit starts happening.

Hmm. :think: