• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bengals Practice Squad

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And if you're the Bengals you use your first rounder on a guy who won't even play that season.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Torrey Smith and Brandon Marshall weren't the number true number one on their teams last season. Also to compare either of those players to AJ Green is a huge stretch. Their production can be replaced by a high pick in a year or two. AJ's can't be replaced. Also teams in general don't use 1st rd picks to replace players at the "least important position on the team" that they lost in FA. They use it on players they sees as key building blocks in their team's future

If the Bengals let Green go, sign a kicker, LB, run stuffer, they can afford to use a late 1st rounder on a position of luxury.

Kingspoint

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would trade AJ for Alex Mack right now
We can trade him for two Firsts and use the money saved to sign Mack and still have $6M per year to spend elsewhere.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good grief..... Let's forget all about the fact that we're the Bengals for a second and just assume that our team might have an interest in trading AJ.

What team would trade two firsts for AJ Green? A guy that they would immediately need to pay a huge extension. You guys just got done saying how many good receivers are coming out of college. Those two firsts could be used on two superstars that don't cost as much money combined as a new AJ contract.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good grief..... Let's forget all about the fact that we're the Bengals for a second and just assume that our team might have an interest in trading AJ.

What team would trade two firsts for AJ Green? A guy that they would immediately need to pay a huge extension. You guys just got done saying how many good receivers are coming out of college. Those two firsts could be used on two superstars that don't cost as much money combined as a new AJ contract.
Depends. You have a point, but if a team feels that it is a WR away from being a Super Bowl team, then they may trade simply because you are trading for a known quantity with Green over unknown quantities in rookies. As we've discussed with QB's (and any draft pick), you just never know how guys will translate into the NFL. So, a team may trade for Green because he's that good, but also because they KNOW he's that good in the NFL. There's no guesswork involved, and no hoping that your pick is the pick that pans out and isn't a bust.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends. You have a point, but if a team feels that it is a WR away from being a Super Bowl team, then they may trade simply because you are trading for a known quantity with Green over unknown quantities in rookies. As we've discussed with QB's (and any draft pick), you just never know how guys will translate into the NFL. So, a team may trade for Green because he's that good, but also because they KNOW he's that good in the NFL. There's no guesswork involved, and no hoping that your pick is the pick that pans out and isn't a bust.

I just can't imagine it.... The only players worth 2 first rounders are quarterbacks and they aren't normally available..... You just screw up your future too much to gamble on one player making the difference.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point is, though, teams do just that all the time.

Granted, it happens more in the draft (trading up) than with trading actual players, which just doesn't happen often in the NFL period. While you're right that the likely-hood of it happening is small, my point still stands that a team could, and would, trade for a player like AJ if they felt they could A: Pay him, and B: He puts the team over the top. Yes, they could draft a WR, but there can be learning curves and risks associated with the pick (as every pick), and trading for a known quantity would be more beneficial to that team who thinks that AJ could put them over the top.

Again, the chance is remote, I do a agree.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Granted, it happens more in the draft (trading up) than with trading actual players, which just doesn't happen often in the NFL period. While you're right that the likely-hood of it happening is small, my point still stands that a team could, and would, trade for a player like AJ if they felt they could A: Pay him, and B: He puts the team over the top. Yes, they could draft a WR, but there can be learning curves and risks associated with the pick (as every pick), and trading for a known quantity would be more beneficial to that team who thinks that AJ could put them over the top.

High value on draft picks though..... Particularly first rounders. They are cheap for 5 years. And you're right, Buffalo recently did this with Sammy Watkins. But it's hurt them in some ways given that they are so limited at the qb position and couldn't fix it without a first round pick.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let them. WR is the least important position on a team. I'd take that money and sign some players at positions of big need or trade him.

That is ridiculous. It you give yourself a crap WR core (take last years playoff game against Indy) you are left with 8 f'n guys stacking the box on Jeremy Hill. Hill is a damn good RB, but he is not that good to go against that every time, and once in a while you will have to throw the ball to get first downs. If you go too far one direction from balance, you are hurting your offense.

Yeah great, spend the damn money on defense. This way we can lose more than 50% of our games 10 to 6, 14 to 10, 6 to 3, 13 to 0, etc.

If the offense can't move the ball because 8 guys are stacked in the f'n box, and your QB is average at best with no WR who demands any attention other than a shitty backup press coverage, then you are not going to move the ball. With that scenerio you are not going to score and it doesn't matter how good the damn defense is unless they can manage 7 to 14 points a game to help offset your shitty offense.

You need talent at WR to offset your shitty QB, otherwise there is no passing threat and the running game is up shit creek before it even carries the ball once during a game.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Everyone has the same salary cap, so why can other good teams afford their 15 million dollar WR's like Dallas, Detroit, Denver, Atlanta and Cincinnati can't?

It isn't like AJ Green doesn't get catches and yards. Guy has had over 1000 yards every single year he has played in the NFL, is in the pro-bowl every year, can be a stretch the field type player and a possession type receiver. He is a mismatch nightmare for some defenses. Even with f'n Andy Dalton throwing him the ball they are still one of the best young QB-WR combos to ever start a career. AJ will drop a few passes, and he will cause some INT's. He still helps this offense more than most of you are giving him credit for.

I just want Tubbs here to be prepared when the Bengals wind up signing him to his mega deal, because I can see Tubbs whining and bitching until the cows come home. He will try to diminish the deal with, "that is not the way I would do it, or other good teams don't sign 15 million dollar WR's", etc.

AJ Green is getting signed. He may not get signed this year, but he will be franchised and by the following year he will get his mega deal. AJ Green is not going anywhere.

These other WR's were only signing 5 year deals. I would almost prefer they tag Green next year, and then sign him to a 5 year mega deal after that, so we get his services for 6 years instead of 5.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone has the same salary cap, so why can other good teams afford their 15 million dollar WR's like Dallas, Detroit, Denver, Atlanta and Cincinnati can't?

It isn't like AJ Green doesn't get catches and yards. Guy has had over 1000 yards every single year he has played in the NFL, is in the pro-bowl every year, can be a stretch the field type player and a possession type receiver. He is a mismatch nightmare for some defenses. Even with f'n Andy Dalton throwing him the ball they are still one of the best young QB-WR combos to ever start a career. AJ will drop a few passes, and he will cause some INT's. He still helps this offense more than most of you are giving him credit for.

I just want Tubbs here to be prepared when the Bengals wind up signing him to his mega deal, because I can see Tubbs whining and bitching until the cows come home. He will try to diminish the deal with, "that is not the way I would do it, or other good teams don't sign 15 million dollar WR's", etc.

AJ Green is getting signed. He may not get signed this year, but he will be franchised and by the following year he will get his mega deal. AJ Green is not going anywhere.

These other WR's were only signing 5 year deals. I would almost prefer they tag Green next year, and then sign him to a 5 year mega deal after that, so we get his services for 6 years instead of 5.
Everyone has the same cap, but not everyone has the same contracts on the books, or spends the money the same way.

For what it's worth, I think they will get it done, and I think that it will be a non-issue with regards to the cap.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Bengals let Green go, sign a kicker, LB, run stuffer, they can afford to use a late 1st rounder on a position of luxury.
that was supposed to say sign a center

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just can't imagine it.... The only players worth 2 first rounders are quarterbacks and they aren't normally available..... You just screw up your future too much to gamble on one player making the difference.
Do you not remember when the Redskins offered 2 firsts for Chad Johnson

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is ridiculous. It you give yourself a crap WR core (take last years playoff game against Indy) you are left with 8 f'n guys stacking the box on Jeremy Hill. Hill is a damn good RB, but he is not that good to go against that every time, and once in a while you will have to throw the ball to get first downs. If you go too far one direction from balance, you are hurting your offense.

Yeah great, spend the damn money on defense. This way we can lose more than 50% of our games 10 to 6, 14 to 10, 6 to 3, 13 to 0, etc.

If the offense can't move the ball because 8 guys are stacked in the f'n box, and your QB is average at best with no WR who demands any attention other than a shitty backup press coverage, then you are not going to move the ball. With that scenerio you are not going to score and it doesn't matter how good the damn defense is unless they can manage 7 to 14 points a game to help offset your shitty offense.

You need talent at WR to offset your shitty QB, otherwise there is no passing threat and the running game is up shit creek before it even carries the ball once during a game.
I'll let Seattle know that great defense and running the ball isn;t the way to win and they need to change.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also I'm not whining at all. I'm giving an opinion, you are the one that sounds like you are getting upset and worked up over there.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you not remember when the Redskins offered 2 firsts for Chad Johnson

Two relevant issues here:

1) That was BEFORE the last collective bargaining agreement which completely swung things in the direction of low pay/low risk high reward rookie players and ultimately led to many GMs devaluing high priced vets.

2) That was Dan Snyder. I'm not sure we should consider the Redskins a member of the NFL - They seem to be around mostly for comedic purposes.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two relevant issues here:

1) That was BEFORE the last collective bargaining agreement which completely swung things in the direction of low pay/low risk high reward rookie players and ultimately led to many GMs devaluing high priced vets.

2) That was Dan Snyder. I'm not sure we should consider the Redskins a member of the NFL - They seem to be around mostly for comedic purposes.

I agree that it isn't likely and I don't think we would get that much for him. I'd trade him for less than that too honest;y. I'd take a deal similar to what the Saints got for Graham.

BKBroiler9000

Glass Eater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AJ Green isn't going anywhere. This discussion is pointless. This is the Bengals. Mike Brown and Marvin Lewis run the show. Somebody could offer 5 1st rounders for Green and they wouldn't do it.

For the record, I'd trade AJ for a pair of 1st rounders tomorrow. I think he's a tremendous talent. He could put up historic numbers with a legitimate NFL QB. But his overall value has been overrated by our fans. WRs are a luxury. Not a must have.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AJ Green isn't going anywhere. This discussion is pointless. This is the Bengals. Mike Brown and Marvin Lewis run the show. Somebody could offer 5 1st rounders for Green and they wouldn't do it.

For the record, I'd trade AJ for a pair of 1st rounders tomorrow. I think he's a tremendous talent. He could put up historic numbers with a legitimate NFL QB. But his overall value has been overrated by our fans. WRs are a luxury. Not a must have.
Exactly.