• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bears pick up 5th-year option on Floyd

Nelly

Respectin' hoes, nationwide
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's face it, you generally don't take an edge rusher, especially at #9, to cover receivers or play in the flats.
But when he was drafted, they also talked up how versatile he was, and how he can play all over the field which was huge for an outside linebacker type. They knew he wasn't a killer edge rusher yet but hoped they could develop that alongside what they thought there were getting, which was his ability to play the flat and disrupt the short passing game over the middle, along with being able to pursue backs and receivers in the short area. In that space of the game, he's passed with flying colors.

Other than the injuries, the Bears have gotten about what you'd expect of him considering his skillset coming out of college. Hopefully he stays healthy through training camp and to start the season to get off on the right foot, then maybe we'll see a little more sack production. He doesn't strike me as more than an 8 sack per season type of guy though.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mine was a general statement, largely applicable to taking an edge rusher with your 1st pick, especially when it's at #9. But I have also defended the play of Floyd on a number of occasions, specifically calling out his versatility in how the Bears use him. It's also why when I started this thread I said it was a no brainer picking up his option.

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Floyd has another year like the last 2 or 3 (very little sacks, great coverage, great run defense) he won't be re-signed. His job is to get to the QB, the other stuff is just icing. The homers can spin it however they want but up until now he's been a disappointment.

End of thread.