• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bears pick up 5th-year option on Floyd

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heard from the stands of Soldier Field as Leonard Floyd comes out of the tunnel:

"Your sack numbers are so bad that I called a dude a monkey!"

Sounds like one of those old "This week's sign of the apocalypse" comments in Sports Illustrated.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like how Howard being the 3rd leading rusher since entering the league, is "according to me". :laugh:

Whattatard.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Says who? And name a team in recent history that has had 3 "great" pass rushers.
Hell, in this day and age, you're lucky if you have two great ones, let alone three. But that aside, we have one of the best front seven overall in the league.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bears run 3 down linemen and 1 OLB rushing on most passing situations. They don't rush 5 and they have this dude named Mack. When is it, exactly, when Floyd is suppose to rush the QB?

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bears run 3 down linemen and 1 OLB rushing on most passing situations. They don't rush 5 and they have this dude named Mack. When is it, exactly, when Floyd is suppose to rush the QB?

When they go to nickel, which they are in often, they often only have 2 down linemen.

Floyd rushes the QB a lot. He started out the first half of the season never getting home on the QB but got a lot better down the stretch.

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the kind of bullshit ignorant fans spout all the time here. Floyd has low sack numbers, and there's a couple clips here and there of Floyd dropping in coverage so naturally, he must not rush the passer a lot. Floyd rushers the passer 95% of the time i would guess. So many idiots.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the kind of bullshit ignorant fans spout all the time here. Floyd has low sack numbers, and there's a couple clips here and there of Floyd dropping in coverage so naturally, he must not rush the passer a lot. Floyd rushers the passer 95% of the time i would guess. So many idiots.

Grrr...if only your degree in football translated to an income and attracted women.

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Grrr...if only your degree in football translated to an income and attracted women.

Oh no. Another anonymous poster on the scary internet is attacking me personally again. How will I ever get over this....fart.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll take that bet. No way on earth has Floyd rushed the QB for 95% of the snaps. No way.
tenor.gif

tenor.gif

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to find the actual percentage. My guess would be somewhere in the 60-70% range, but that would be tops. If anyone knows where we could research this, that would be great because now that BS brought it up, it would be a good stat to find out.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to find the actual percentage. My guess would be somewhere in the 60-70% range, but that would be tops. If anyone knows where we could research this, that would be great because now that BS brought it up, it would be a good stat to find out.
Not that this is definitive er what have you...
Chicago Bears: Where are the Leonard Floyd sacks?

"With that in mind, Floyd has spent about a quarter of the Bears pass attempts against playing off of the ball. In that regard, he has shown well, as highlighted in the play here. Floyd drops back into the middle of the field. He follows Fitzpatrick and reads the crossing route. He explodes and gets his hand on the pass to knock it away. This is why you deploy him in coverage.

However, in his pass rush attempts, there has been another deployment that has also caused his lack of sacks.

With Khalil Mack and Akiem Hicks on the same side of the center, the Chicago Bears have a lot of power in that matchup. Vic Fangio understands that and has loaded up on that side with his power.

With that in mind, he has had Leonard Floyd play more of a contain role. Floyd will not rush hard, but instead look to trap the quarterback into staying in the pocket with Mack and Hicks reigning down on them."

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So that indicates about a 75% pass rushing stat, which is at least more in line of what I was figuring, altho that still seems to be a bit high. I'd like to see the official stat and I'm sure there's one out there. I only challenged BS just based on watching the games. I have no idea what the real number is.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So that indicates about a 75% pass rushing stat, which is at least more in line of what I was figuring, altho that still seems to be a bit high. I'd like to see the official stat and I'm sure there's one out there. I only challenged BS just based on watching the games. I have no idea what the real number is.
I highly doubt it's 95% for ANY OLB...or even interior linemen for that matter.

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I was disputing the argument implying Floyd hardly ever rushing the passer. 95% was just a guess which i even said but the point being he rushes a lot more than implied.

A fairer statistic would be how much Floyd rushes the passer comparatively to Mack. I bet they aren't that far apart.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was disputing the argument implying Floyd hardly ever rushing the passer. 95% was just a guess which i even said but the point being he rushes a lot more than implied.

A fairer statistic would be how much Floyd rushes the passer comparatively to Mack. I bet they aren't that far apart.
Fair enough. I've stated previously that based on when we took Floyd and what just about every Bears fan expected once he was taken with the #9 pick (and traded up for to boot), I agree that his performance to date has been less than expected, at least from a sack standpoint. Let's face it, you generally don't take an edge rusher, especially at #9, to cover receivers or play in the flats. But for whatever reasons, the Bears have incorporated this into Floyd's game and to be honest, he's played this hybrid role pretty well. I'm expecting a big year from him. If he disappoint, I'll be the first to take him to task for it.

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough. I've stated previously that based on when we took Floyd and what just about every Bears fan expected once he was taken with the #9 pick (and traded up for to boot), I agree that his performance to date has been less than expected, at least from a sack standpoint. Let's face it, you generally don't take an edge rusher, especially at #9, to cover receivers or play in the flats. But for whatever reasons, the Bears have incorporated this into Floyd's game and to be honest, he's played this hybrid role pretty well. I'm expecting a big year from him. If he disappoint, I'll be the first to take him to task for it.

No question Floyd played the passing game well. He played the running game very well as well. But he does rush the passer a lot and he doesn't get there. Sorry there's no window dressing allowed. He's in about as good of a situation to rush the passer and pick up sacks and the dude does not.

If his sack numbers stay where it has been this upcoming year, he will be gone. As he should be.