• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

BCS was bad? Wait for the "Committee"

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they are doing a playoff, make room for at large bids with the conference champs. USC could lose 3 division games and then beat a currently undefeated Oregon team in the PAC 12 and then take their shot? I think in that case Oregon should get a chance. Same thing could happen in the SEC, ACC, B1G. I would hate to see a 3 loss Nebraska team get a shot over tOSU because of that.

Just a difference of mindsets I guess. I would have no problem with it. In that scenario, all Oregon would have had to do would be to win 1 more game. They didn't. They should be SOL because they lost the one game that mattered at that time. The national champion should be the champion over all other conferences/divisions/and 120+ FBS programs. You cannot be the champion over everyone if you can't be the champion of your conference.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also who gives a shit if the games sellout??? The NCAA tournament in CBB routinely plays in front of half full arenas but they dont fucking care because the money is in the sposorship and the TV. You could play a LSU-Wisconsin 5 vs 12 mathcup and have the stadium half full and it would still be worth more money than any bowl game being played right now aside from the Rose Bowl or the BCS title game.

Yeah there is the answer. Lets have a CFP playoff with half empty stadium. That will look great on tv. Lets leave out the most passionate fans in sports (CFB fans) and give the big F-U...

Man I am on the complete opposite side of the fence as you on this. I watch half the season of CFB in the stands and the other half on my couch. I prefer the stands and think your idea is horse puckey...

Side note... CBB is not and will never be CFB. Both in fan interest and $$$$$$$ Bad argument...

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Notice teams arguing for 16....

Wait

Wait

Now go look at teams arguing for old BCS and 4 team CFP... HEEHEE!

Interesting study there...

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Notice teams arguing for 16....

Wait

Wait

Now go look at teams arguing for old BCS and 4 team CFP... HEEHEE!

Interesting study there...

I would be 100% content with the BCS system if there were 2 undefeated teams every year. Shit gets fishy with multiple teams sitting with the same record though.

I would definitely rather have the BCS than this 4-team popularity contest we are fixing to get now though.

TonyTheGator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be 100% content with the BCS system if there were 2 undefeated teams every year. Shit gets fishy with multiple teams sitting with the same record though.

I would definitely rather have the BCS than this 4-team popularity contest we are fixing to get now though.

Team records are not the best final, or determing, factor to judge teams by when the schedules are not equal. Why should a undefeated Boise team with the 98th ranked SOS get a NC berth over a SEC team that played 5 Top teams, and only lost once?

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agree. Which will make scheduling a huge part of this CFP playoff thing. I saw that the ACC is moving to 9 conference games in 2014? or 2013? Anyways that is a major step in the right direction. SEC needs to jump on board with the PAC, ACC, Big12, and B1G and start scheduling 9 conference games.

There needs to be some common bond in that area...

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Team records are not the best final, or determing, factor to judge teams by when the schedules are not equal. Why should a undefeated Boise team with the 98th ranked SOS get a NC berth over a SEC team that played 5 Top teams, and only lost once?

All things are not equal when comparing Ws and Ls:agree:

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah there is the answer. Lets have a CFP playoff with half empty stadium. That will look great on tv. Lets leave out the most passionate fans in sports (CFB fans) and give the big F-U...

Man I am on the complete opposite side of the fence as you on this. I watch half the season of CFB in the stands and the other half on my couch. I prefer the stands and think your idea is horse puckey...

Side note... CBB is not and will never be CFB. Both in fan interest and $$$$$$$ Bad argument...

Correct. CBB is worth 10.8 billion TV wise and CFB is worth 6 billion. Not even close is correct.

Last edited by a moderator:

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Because they did what they had to do to get there in the first place. Who says those 5 SEC teams were "top" teams? The media? That's the point of having a system like that. There would be zero bias. You know what you have to do from the beginning of the season. Win enough games to have the best division record in your division, win your conference championship game, then go undefeated in the playoffs. Simple as pie. If a Boise team that has the 98th ranked SOS beats 3 other conference champions and all of the others lose....then who the hell is to say they weren't the best in the country? They proved that they were by beating the best each conference had to offer.

bocomo007

Just some guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A 4 team playoff is the worst way they could have done this.

If you look back through the BCS era, there are WAY more questions over 4, 5, 6 than there are between 1 and 2. Rarely do the top 2 teams not get matched up. Watching two SEC teams play two of the 4 remaining conference champions is going to get very old, very quickly.

true

i prefer a six team playoff, with the top two getting a first round bye

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Correct. CBB is worth 10.8 billion TV wise and CFB is worth 6 billion. Not even close is correct.

:laugh3::laugh3::laugh3:

That 6 million is for 3 games homie... CFP games... 3 games

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the advent of the playoff system the NCAA should just get rid of rankings altogether. No real point in having rankings now if you are going to have a committee pick the 4 best teams at year end. All rankings will do is bias committee members to pick one team over another. Especially when preseason rankings make it almst impossible for a team to jump another team if they both go unbeaten ( or lose 1 time each etc etc)

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:laugh3::laugh3::laugh3:

That 6 million is for 3 games homie... CFP games... 3 games

Thanks man. Just made my point. More games=more money. 16 team playoff would net over 40 billion ( maybe more) regardless of whether the games sell out or not.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks man. Just made my point. More games=more money. 16 team playoff would net over 40 billion ( maybe more) regardless of whether the games sell out or not.

Ya cuz I am sure

1 Alabama vs 16 N Illinois

2 Oregon vs 15 Utah State

3 Ohio State vs San Jose State

4 Texas vs Cincinnati

would just be ratings juggernauts huh?

Now....

1 Bama vs 4 Texas

2 Oregon vs 3 Ohio State

would be ratings gold...

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya cuz I am sure

1 Alabama vs 16 N Illinois

2 Oregon vs 15 Utah State

3 Ohio State vs San Jose State

4 Texas vs Cincinnati

would just be ratings juggernauts huh?

Now....

1 Bama vs 4 Texas

2 Oregon vs 3 Ohio State

would be ratings gold...

You entirely miss the point man. The NCAA tournament is worth 10.8 billion not because of Duke vs Niagara but because of the Final 4/Elite 8/Sweet 16 etc. It doesnt matter if Bama plays NIU in a 1 vs 16 game. Its a CFB playoff game and that makes it worth a boatload BECAUSE in order to have the final 4 you have to buy the whole package. A 16 team playoff would be the single most valuable sports TV rights in the world. More than the Super Bowl, more than the world cup. Anything.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also the TV rating for opening games dont really matter, its the rating s for the final 4 games that matter but you cant just purchase those. You have to buy the whole deal AND you arent going to see Bama vs NIU most years, most years its going to be at LEAST 7 really quality games and maybe 1 or 2 non-AQ league teams sneaking in. Last year for example would have been ( using the top 16 in the final BCS rankings before bowls as a guide)

1 ND vs 16 Nebraska
2 Bama vs 15 NIU
3 Florida vs 14 Clemson
4 Oregon vs 13 Oregon State
5 K State vs 12 Florida State
6 Stanford vs 11 Oklahoma
7 Georgia vs 10 South Carolina
8 LSU vs 9 Texas A&M

Tell me that wouldnt have been HUGE. The only game on their that wouldnt have a really good storyline is Bama-NIU and even that one would have been interesting BEFORE the game LOL

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You entirely miss the point man. The NCAA tournament is worth 10.8 billion not because of Duke vs Niagara but because of the Final 4/Elite 8/Sweet 16 etc. It doesnt matter if Bama plays NIU in a 1 vs 16 game. Its a CFB playoff game and that makes it worth a boatload BECAUSE in order to have the final 4 you have to buy the whole package. A 16 team playoff would be the single most valuable sports TV rights in the world. More than the Super Bowl, more than the world cup. Anything.

Yes. But the opening Thursday through Sunday games of NCAA hoops gets HUGE ratings. I am sorry. I just dont see the point of watching the FLoridas, Bamas, LSUs, tOSUs, Oregons, so on beating the shit outta 12-16 seeds. And you have to admit. That would happen. Giving these teams 3 weeks or so to prepare for a game they are actually interrested and vested in?

And NCAA hoops is a much more even playing field from 2 seeds to 15 seeds. CFB there is a huge seperation between a 1 or 2 in Nation vs 15 or 16.