• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

BCS was bad? Wait for the "Committee"

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you thought we had bitchin and moaning in the BCS just wait til the end of the 2014 season. A hand selected committee of 14 to 20 people will choose which 4 teams play in the College Football Playoff. NCAA hoops does the same but gets 68 teams to choose from and we hear complaining about that.

Take 2012s season for example,

ND in
Bama in

Then it gets muddled. Florida has the best argument for team 3 with its reg season resume.

Next likely candidates are Oregon, Stanford, and K State.

Oregon lost one game in OT to Stanford but didnt win its conference.

Stanford beat Oregon, won the PAC but had two losses one of which was to an avg Washington team.

K State lost to an avg Baylor team. BADLY.

So not going homer I go Oregon, but I know there is a good reason to complain from Stanford and K State fans.

Just like 2011, Oregon won the PAC with 2 losses, but Stanford lost only one (to Oregon). Would have went with Stanford over Oregon in 2011.

Do you think you should have to win the conference to be in the playoff? I dont. SEC will likely always have there CC in the CFP. But it gets very messy from there. Thoughts?

Berkeley_Blues

Retired Experience Junkie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A 4 team playoff will be a major mess as a couple major conf champs will get excluded each year.

A 8 team playoff with 4 1st round byes would be far better imho. This would leave room for all major conf champs plus the best 2nd place team plus an undefeated, top 10 Non AQ.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A 4 team playoff will be a major mess as a couple major conf champs will get excluded each year.

A 8 team playoff with 4 1st round byes would be far better imho. This would leave room for all major conf champs plus the best 2nd place team plus an undefeated, top 10 Non AQ.

How do you have an 8 team playoff with 4 1st round byes??? Then you have 2 games (remaining for teams) two winners leaving 6...

How bout 12 with 4 1st round byes? Then you have 8 after 1st roound of games...

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they way i see it...it will be a new agrument that will be fun to agrue about instead of the BCS which is like beaten a dead horse by now...

I cant wait!!:yahoo:
Ya, me neither actually. The message boards will be eaten up by conferences putting one team in... Conf champ with 2 losses or one loss non conf champ...

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Plus all conferences arent created equal. With this setup you would have had FSU in over potentially aTm or Georgia...

The All major Conference Champ argument should be quickly discared as a thought...

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No matter how many teams it's made up of, there will always be someone 'left out'. #5, #9, #17 ad nauseum.

My guess is that the committee will go out of it's way to justify making the field include each major conference -1.

Last season the B-one-G would have been left out.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No matter how many teams it's made up of, there will always be someone 'left out'.

My guess is that the committee will go out of it's way to justify making the field include each major conference -1.

Last season the B-one-G would have been left out.

So you woulda had an Indy in ND, Bama, and who???

K State? and Oregon or Stanford. Ya see that is why I have an issue with this. FLA reg season resume justifies them as an in over K State. SEC is far tougher than any other conference....

The one loss non conf champ vs two loss conf champ is the huge question I have...

Droopdog51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it will be 2 SE teams and the top 2 from the other major conferences. Sorry, I think there is too much hype for the SEC. Some would say that is justified and some wouldn't. Not making a comment on that. Just saying that is how it will most likely be.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it will be 2 SE teams and the top 2 from the other major conferences. Sorry, I think there is too much hype for the SEC. Some would say that is justified and some wouldn't. Not making a comment on that. Just saying that is how it will most likely be.

Well if you have won the last 7 NATTYs there is one hell of an argument for getting 2 teams in. until some team in another conference knocks em off that is how it should be.

I dont get the whole let the best 4 conf champs in. That is such a bad argument IMO. Do you want the 4 best teams? Or do you want a mediocre conf champ in???

Last year I go Bama, Domers, FLA or Georgia, and Oregon.

Berkeley_Blues

Retired Experience Junkie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do you have an 8 team playoff with 4 1st round byes??? Then you have 2 games (remaining for teams) two winners leaving 6...

How bout 12 with 4 1st round byes? Then you have 8 after 1st roound of games...

Excuse me. I meant to say 8 teams with top 2 teams getting 1st round byes. But 12 teams with 4 1st round byes is good as well.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Excuse me. I meant to say 8 teams with top 2 teams getting 1st round byes. But 12 teams with 4 1st round byes is good as well.

Well even then sir, you have 2 first round byes with 6 left (3 games) leaving you with 5 teams left...

TonyTheGator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been against a playoff from the beginning, despite the bitching & moaning about the BCS. Being 55 years old, I have watched CFB for longer than most of you, and have heard all the moaning about the different systems. With the old bowl system, the people wanted a champion that won it on the field, so the BCS CG was born. I liked it, and still do. The participants are selected by the polls that use human observation, opinions, and emotion; & and computers are used to help check the selective opinions and emotions. A 4 team playoff with a selection committee is just going to add more human "emotion" into the process. More teams, & fans, will have reason to bitch & moan about not getting into the playoff, and there will be accusation after accusation of "homerism" against the committee members. Be careful what you wish for.

TonyTheGator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I sure hope you cook the burgers, instead of charge for them. :laugh3:

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you woulda had an Indy in ND, Bama, and who???

K State? and Oregon or Stanford. Ya see that is why I have an issue with this. FLA reg season resume justifies them as an in over K State. SEC is far tougher than any other conference....

The one loss non conf champ vs two loss conf champ is the huge question I have...

oops, forgot about ND. LOL @ me.

Last year they likely would have had...

Alabama
Notre Dame
Stanford

Not sure about the fourth, but between K. State or Fla St.

I don't think Louisville would have gotten consideration due to Big East perception.

I'm just saying I don't expect this committee to use a lot of common sense in selection. I think the priority will be in spreading the grease to as many pockets as possible. "Last year we omitted this conference, this year we'll inc ude them and omit another" type shit.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been against a playoff from the beginning, despite the bitching & moaning about the BCS. Being 55 years old, I have watched CFB for longer than most of you, and have heard all the moaning about the different systems. With the old bowl system, the people wanted a champion that won it on the field, so the BCS CG was born. I liked it, and still do. The participants are selected by the polls that use human observation, opinions, and emotion; & and computers are used to help check the selective opinions and emotions. A 4 team playoff with a selection committee is just going to add more human "emotion" into the process. More teams, & fans, will have reason to bitch & moan about not getting into the playoff, and there will be accusation after accusation of "homerism" against the committee members. Be careful what you wish for.

Tony, I completely agree with you. I think the shit storm is going to hit hurricane force coming up here. CFB fans (me included) will find things to bitch about. But the grass isnt always greener on the other side type of thing is what I am thinking.

The BCS IMO didnt have too many misses. How many times was the best CFB team not crowned NATTY champs in the BCS era... An argument for one can be made and that is it...

We are heading into some grey territory here IMO.

And who the heck are these "committee" folks? Are they going to give ranking updates weekly on where they are leaning? I think they should.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oops, forgot about ND. LOL @ me.

Last year they likely would have had...

Alabama
Notre Dame
Stanford

Not sure about the fourth, but between K. State or Fla St.

I don't think Louisville would have gotten consideration due to Big East perception.

I'm just saying I don't expect this committee to use a lot of common sense in selection. I think the priority will be in spreading the grease to as many pockets as possible. "Last year we omitted this conference, this year we'll inc ude them and omit another" type shit.

So to play devil's advocate you go with Stanford (2 loss team) over Oregon (1 loss)? Stanford did beat Oregon in OT by 3. But Stanford also lost to a very avg UW team. Ya see this is what I mean. Let the arguments begin... I think we will be asking for the BCS back in 2 years....

So if you had FSU or KSU, Bama, ND, Stanford... Do you think those were the 4 best CFB teams last year?