• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

BCS - Essentially got it right?

rolltide14_0

~V--I--P~
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,833.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but you are only looking at one side of the coin. You also have to add pts for winning 11 games vs a harder schedule. You can simply deduct for a worse loss. To go to the extreme. Lets say LSU beats TCU, Bama, A&M, Florida, and South Carolina this yr, but lose to Miss State a mediocre MissState. Do you keep them out of the title, because Ohio State played an inferior schedule, but only lost to Michigan?

I think you gotta look a couple more things...

Not only did Alabama's only loss come to the #1 team in OT, but lets be honest, if Bama's kickers show up for that game, we win in regulation and there is no argument over us going, then it's LSU fussing with Okie st. fans. If we miss 1 or maybe 2 field goals, then I don't use this as an excuse, but hell I think we missed 4 or 5.

Then you have to see the fact that Alabama didn't have a close game all season other than that game, only ONE team scored 21 points on Alabama, only 2 others scored 14, the rest were held under 14 points.

Okie St. gave up 30+ points to both the Ragin' Cajuns and Tulsa. They beat a 7-6 Texas A&M team by ONE point, and finally lose to 6-7 Iowa St.

Yes, their SOS is better, but I'm not sure it makes up for losing to ISU, nearly losing to a lousy A&M team, and giving up 30+ to two other shitty teams.

I feel like we're beating a dead horse, none of us are gonna change our opinions. I'm out on this one.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then Michigan should have gone to the national title game in 2006 since they had the better loss and it was against the number 1 team by a field goal in over time?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then Michigan should have gone to the national title game in 2006 since they had the better loss and it was against the number 1 team by a field goal in over time?

Michigan got screwed by how late in the season the loss came. If Alabama had lost to LSU in a conference championship or last game of the season, no way would they have went in 2011.

But otherwise, yes.

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aint gonna lie. I hate the BCS, always have, always will. The argument can be made rather easily that its better than what we had before, but when it comes down to it, everything then and now is about a persons opinion with a vote.

The only difference now is the final game is decided on the field, but it still took winning a beauty pageant to get there.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not only did Alabama's only loss come to the #1 team in OT, but lets be honest, if Bama's kickers show up for that game, we win in regulation and there is no argument over us going, then it's LSU fussing with Okie st. fans. If we miss 1 or maybe 2 field goals, then I don't use this as an excuse, but hell I think we missed 4 or 5.

Then you have to see the fact that Alabama didn't have a close game all season other than that game, only ONE team scored 21 points on Alabama, only 2 others scored 14, the rest were held under 14 points.

Okie St. gave up 30+ points to both the Ragin' Cajuns and Tulsa. They beat a 7-6 Texas A&M team by ONE point, and finally lose to 6-7 Iowa St.

Yes, their SOS is better, but I'm not sure it makes up for losing to ISU, nearly losing to a lousy A&M team, and giving up 30+ to two other shitty teams.

I feel like we're beating a dead horse, none of us are gonna change our opinions. I'm out on this one.

Yeah, overall team power is a factor as well.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

-

Couple things.
FGs: none of those kicks were even a coin flip to make. Bama had 2 bad kickers and I think one of the kicks was inside the 45. I thought attempting those kicks was poor judgement

Def: OSU actually finished quite high in advanced Defensive rankings that yr, mostly based of a phenomenal turnover rate. Ranking strictly on yards is a poor metric. You have to consider the style of play and pace.

I am not saying OSU was better than Bama, just that under the previous precedents Bama should not have been there. Remember I am a big backer of a playoff and this is at best a debatable decision and at worse a questionable one.

TonyTheGator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have never had a problem with the BCS. There will always be controversy in selections, but at least the BCS gave us a game to crown the winner. With the new playoff, there will be even more controversy, as more teams will have an argument to be selected for the playoff. Then, if you expand to more teams in the playoff, it will make more even controversy. Personally, I'm happy with the BCS, but I won't cry about a 4 team playoff, as long as my Gators are in it when they deserve it.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couple things.
FGs: none of those kicks were even a coin flip to make. Bama had 2 bad kickers and I think one of the kicks was inside the 45. I thought attempting those kicks was poor judgement

Def: OSU actually finished quite high in advanced Defensive rankings that yr, mostly based of a phenomenal turnover rate. Ranking strictly on yards is a poor metric. You have to consider the style of play and pace.

I am not saying OSU was better than Bama, just that under the previous precedents Bama should not have been there. Remember I am a big backer of a playoff and this is at best a debatable decision and at worse a questionable one.

Points given up > turnovers.

And I think most people would say OSU deserved a chance in 2011 and support a +1 for that year. I know I do. But I draw a line when people claim OSU deserved to be there over Alabama.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have never had a problem with the BCS. There will always be controversy in selections, but at least the BCS gave us a game to crown the winner. With the new playoff, there will be even more controversy, as more teams will have an argument to be selected for the playoff. Then, if you expand to more teams in the playoff, it will make more even controversy. Personally, I'm happy with the BCS, but I won't cry about a 4 team playoff, as long as my Gators are in it when they deserve it.

16 teams tops. Nobody outside the top 16 has a remotely legitimate claim on the National title so who cares what they gripe about. It's not about eliminating controversy anyway. It's about more compelling games at the end of the season.... games that people aside from fans of the colleges involved might have an interest in. Games that mean something other than bragging rights. There's a reason that every other sport at every level has some sort of playoff system to decide these things and none of them are pushing to scrap it to emulate D-1 CFB.

TonyTheGator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
16 teams tops. Nobody outside the top 16 has a remotely legitimate claim on the National title so who cares what they gripe about. It's not about eliminating controversy anyway. It's about more compelling games at the end of the season.... games that people aside from fans of the colleges involved might have an interest in. Games that mean something other than bragging rights. There's a reason that every other sport at every level has some sort of playoff system to decide these things and none of them are pushing to scrap it to emulate D-1 CFB.

16 team playoff? Sure thing. Just cut the regular season to 10 games, and then find the sponsors who are going to put up enough money to make sure none of the teams lose money.

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Florida got in that title game, even though there was cry for Michigan to go for a rematch, and they clearly showed they deserved the spot.

Name one crowned champ that shouldn't have been there under the BCS system. I can't think of any.

There have been some teams that had cases for belonging in the game, but I don't there were any situations where the 2 teams in the game were undeserving.

Nebraska. They lost by almost 40 in their final regular season game, failed to even qualify for their CCG and then got beat by Miami in the BCS Title Game in an absolute blowout.

Absolutely that team did not deserve to be in that game.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disagree re: the BCS!! First of all, almost every season, there has been at least 1 team that had just as strong (if not stronger) an argument to be in the NCG as one or both of the teams in the game!!

There has also been a split NC in the BCS era!! They also seemed to have to change the "formula" almost every year!!

I think the 4 team playoff is a step in the right direction. I'd prefer 8 (I think it'll eventually get there) and I think 16 is too many!!

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No championship in any sport ever without a tournament barring a sport like boxing where it's not season based is legitimate.

Not a single time.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The OP's point mirrors my longstanding opinion.

We can debate about whether the BCS put the top 2 teams into the game.
Putting a wrong team into the title game is a different argument.

The OP never suggested the BCS was perfect in selecting the two teams.
He is merely suggesting the BCS crowned the best team with remarkable consistency.

Before the BCS, there was always considerable arguments about who was #1 even after the bowls.
The BCS champion has been almost impossible to argue against from 98-12

I don't remember a single incidence where the #1 ranked team after the BCS game felt like a fraud.
Conversely it seemed like every other year the pre-BCS crowned a champ that just did not feel right.

Only 2003 USC (in my opinion) had any traction at all. The rest were weak arguments at best.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Please elaborate on these "advanced" rankings. Any team that gives up 24 or more points in 10 of it's 13 games and over 33 points in 4 games is not "quite high" in any defensive rankings, saying otherwise is just trying to polish a turd and makes any point you are trying to make sound idiotic.

There are plenty of legit reasons you can make for Okie Jr'd inclusion, but the play of their defense is not one of them.

Last edited by a moderator:

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oregon got a bit of a raw deal in 2001. #2 in both polls. Nebraska #4 I believe. Colorado beat em pretty good and the Buffs won the conference but the Huskers got the bid.

Worked out well for Oregon cuz I don't think anyone was beating 2001 Miami.

THe Ducks ended up curb stomping Colorado so it worked out ok.

:noidea:

Blame Chris Simms for 2001 debacle. I do. You know you should, and want to.

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No championship in any sport ever without a tournament barring a sport like boxing where it's not season based is legitimate.

Not a single time.

Your formula is just a formula to crown an end of season tournament champ.

We want to find a season champ... so we need a formula that really respects every game in the regular season and also gives a chance for only the truly deserving teams to prove they are the champ on the field.

Baseball has such a system... and I have been lobbying for a 4-team playoff since 2000/20001. Anyone here can verify the veracity of this.

A 4-team playoff respects every game of the regular season, lets in teams that may have a legit argument as to being the best of the season, and doesn't let in poseur teams that don't.

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nebraska. They lost by almost 40 in their final regular season game, failed to even qualify for their CCG and then got beat by Miami in the BCS Title Game in an absolute blowout.

Absolutely that team did not deserve to be in that game.

CHRIS SIMMS DID THIS. 2001 Big12 CCG. 4 Turnovers in one half. #neverforget

PhilSimms11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The BCS was a step in the right direction. Too many times we had #1 and #2 playing in different bowl games before the BCS. However, it's time to improve on it again. A 4-team playoff is another step in the right direction, but we're not there yet. I want to see either 16 with the 10 conferences or a split of the "major" conferences (ACC, Big 10, Big XII, SEC) from the "minors" (AAC, C-USA, MAC, MWC, SBC) with an 8-team playoff in each group.