• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bawstun vs Dodgers: the World Series of Gluttony

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Red Sox haven't really been a huge FA player EXCEPT for a few years after they last their last WS when Cherington started spending like a drunken sailor.

lolz

Only a fan of a team that spends like the Red Sox could say that with a straight face.

David Price - $217MM (2nd largest AAV for a starting pitcher in the history of MLB)
JD Martinez - $110MM (7th largest AAV for an OF in the history of MLB)

Both Dumbrowski signings.

nynasty

nynasty
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,181.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have the Yankees or Red Sox been notably unique in getting big name FAs?

The Yankees biggest recent acquisition was via a trade for Stanton. The Red Sox haven't really been a huge FA player EXCEPT for a few years after they last their last WS when Cherington started spending like a drunken sailor.

The only really big FA signings the Red Sox have done are Manny, Price, and JD Martinez although Martinez is a little strange because it seemed like no one else was all that interested in signing him.

Yankees were determined to reset their luxury tax penalty-like the Sox did last year.

I have a feeling that now that that's done, they're not going to be #6 in payroll for long.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right, for all the gnashing of teeth on the payroll imbalances, MLB hasn't seen a repeat World champ in 18 years. And counting.

For the record, I don't mind the payroll imbalances, in fact I like it.

I don't like listening to crotch-sniffing Yankees fans tell me how great Lindor will look in pinstripes.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yankees were determined to reset their luxury tax penalty-like the Sox did last year.

I have a feeling that now that that's done, they're not going to be #6 in payroll for long.

Yep. For all the "it's not our fault your owner doesn't want to spend money on your team" nonsense I've heard from Yankees fans, based on payrolls as a percentage of revenue, even old George was a bit stingy.

The Yankees' revenues are nearly 20% more than the 2nd place Dodgers. That's outrageous.

nynasty

nynasty
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,181.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the record, I don't mind the payroll imbalances, in fact I like it.

I don't like listening to crotch-sniffing Yankees fans tell me how great Lindor will look in pinstripes.

LOL

Machado's the new flavor of the month. Especially now that it looks like Didi's gonna miss some serious time, and he can be had with just cash.

Speaking of Lindor though, would probably benefit you guys to buy out some of his arb years and lock him up. Such a talent.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Machado's the new flavor of the month. Especially now that it looks like Didi's gonna miss some serious time, and he can be had with just cash.

I hate that fuck. I hope he ends up in pinstripes for a fuckton of money. That'll show him!

Speaking of Lindor though, would probably benefit you guys to buy out some of his arb years and lock him up. Such a talent.

Yeah, ya think?

He's been absolutely unresponsive to efforts extend his contract. I'm pretty sure he's think free agency or bust, and I can't blame him. He'll make a SHITLOAD on the FA market if he keeps up this pace.

Indians practically invented early extensions back with Sabathia and the aforementioned twat, Grady Sizemore.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right, for all the gnashing of teeth on the payroll imbalances, MLB hasn't seen a repeat World champ in 18 years. And counting.
To some end, I don't buy this argument as a legit reason to assume parity in the sport. The usual suspects are in post-season most years. There are a lot of franchises that are content staying in a resemblance of contention in the middle of September. Those teams -- and I root for one -- will make post-season once a decade and that's that.

I don't blame the NYYs or the Bostons for that, but it's a misnomer to say there's competitive balance because it's rare to repeat. The post-season is the objective. Winning the W.S. is a product of being good enough for a dozen games.

The argument that the mediocre teams just need to be smarter is a nice crutch but the haves are separating themselves from the pack at an astonishing rate now. Nobody is going to reverse that.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think most would agree in '86, the Mets were the better team. 108 wins, +130 run differential to Boston's 95 wins +80 run differential.

Clearly not the case this year.

Mets were +205. Sox were +98

nynasty

nynasty
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,181.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To some end, I don't buy this argument as a legit reason to assume parity in the sport. The usual suspects are in post-season most years. There are a lot of franchises that are content staying in a resemblance of contention in the middle of September. Those teams -- and I root for one -- will make post-season once a decade and that's that.

I don't blame the NYYs or the Bostons for that, but it's a misnomer to say there's competitive balance because it's rare to repeat. The post-season is the objective. Winning the W.S. is a product of being good enough for a dozen games.

The argument that the mediocre teams just need to be smarter is a nice crutch but the haves are separating themselves from the pack at an astonishing rate now. Nobody is going to reverse that.

I hear you, and you're absolutely right that it seems like at least 60% of the post-season field are the same teams most years.

But then I look at Tampa, Minnesota, Pittsburgh, Oakland. All teams with relatively low payrolls who have fielded pretty competitive teams, year in, year out. No they don't make the playoffs every year, but they've consistently above the curve due to good drafting and smart front offices. So I think there is something to be said for that. I mean, Tampa had the lowest payroll in baseball this year, and in the second half they were about the toughest out there was. I know they gave the Yankees and Astros all they could handle anyway.

nynasty

nynasty
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,181.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mets were +205. Sox were +98

OK. Serves me right for trying to do math in my head. LOL

Point stands. The better team won the '86 world series, and I think the same is about to happen in '18.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cletus, will you stop that infernal sniveling! Can someone please take the shovel away from Cletus?

If you demonstrated even a tenuous grasp on what has actually transpired between us, I might be offended by this.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you demonstrated even a tenuous grasp on what has actually transpired between us, I might be offended by this.
Cletus, please, we are begging you. Your inane drivel gives me a headache

Indrid Cold

Member In Black
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Red Sox should get some credit for generating so much revenue in a fairly small metro area, something like the tenth biggest in the US.
Of course, their tremendous fanbase extends to Maine, NH, Vermont, RI, CT, and Western MA....but that's hardly a bad thing, right? Shit, the cubbies aren't even popular in Southern Illinois...

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Red Sox should get some credit for generating so much revenue in a fairly small metro area, something like the tenth biggest in the US.

Fuck that, Ingrid. They're 5th in revenue and as you said, they're not just Boston's team, they're new england's team.

I'll give them a lot of credit for winning four championships in fifteen years, but not for their revenue.

We still on for camping this weekend?