• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bawstun vs Dodgers: the World Series of Gluttony

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You got me.

I’m so mad that a fuckwit is saying dumb shit on the internets that my face is red, my hands are shaking, and my back hurts.

Grrrrr.
Mad? You are in a spittle-flying rage. Little fists pounding on the keyboard.

williewilliejuan

Giant Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AT least this one was funny. You are getting better and at least getting away from your absurd argument that Boston and L.A. are not in the Series because of money they spent.

The Giants payroll and record should tell you that just spending money doesn’t make you win shit.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear you, and you're absolutely right that it seems like at least 60% of the post-season field are the same teams most years.

But then I look at Tampa, Minnesota, Pittsburgh, Oakland. All teams with relatively low payrolls who have fielded pretty competitive teams, year in, year out. No they don't make the playoffs every year, but they've consistently above the curve due to good drafting and smart front offices. So I think there is something to be said for that. I mean, Tampa had the lowest payroll in baseball this year, and in the second half they were about the toughest out there was. I know they gave the Yankees and Astros all they could handle anyway.
It is fun to root for teams like the Rays and the Twins, and for those of us who don't have a dog in the fight, the underdog will do just fine.

The problem is that I don't want to see MLB become pro sports equivalent of participation awards -- the process is set up to help the bad teams, inexact as it is ... so there isn't more that can be done without insulting the fans of the big market teams.

As a long suffering fan, we delight in small miracles and individual awards, but the yawn is long now on how much the top teams have in payroll.

IN any case, I want all the series to go 7 games. Get my money's worth until my bore-ass college basketball team hits the wall.

I need to cheer for somebody else. All my teams suck.

Maybe these guys.

harlem-globetrotters.jpg

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But then I look at Tampa, Minnesota, Pittsburgh, Oakland. All teams with relatively low payrolls who have fielded pretty competitive teams, year in, year out.

You’re trying to piss me off, aren’t you, motherfucker?

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Giants payroll and record should tell you that just spending money doesn’t make you win shit.
Injuries simply decimated them this year. Anybody who was anybody on that team had a long term injury. Never seen anything like it.

williewilliejuan

Giant Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Injuries simply decimated them this year. Anybody who was anybody on that team had a long term injury. Never seen anything like it.

That’s one way to look at it. You could also look at nearly $60MM wrapped up in Mark Melancon, Jeff Samardzjia and Hunter Pence. Two guys they should never have signed and one who just can’t stay on the field any longer.