• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bawstun vs Dodgers: the World Series of Gluttony

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed the Buckner days are over, hence my comment that we now expect to win instead of wondering how they will blow it this time. But those tough years make this current situation so much sweeter in sort of the "we kind of feel as if we paid the price and now we deserve this" way.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're right. Flashbacks to the glory days of 2014-16, when they would have the lead the whole game just to cough it up after the 2 minute warning.

Only the 65 yard FG to lose to Carolina a few weeks back really qualifies this year.

while not a huge football fan, it does sound like the giants have been doing that as long as I can remember them playing football (which around 1992ish).

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
YEAH!

And yet...I'd trade places...

Seriously though, I'm not sure I would. I got into baseball when I lived in Boston in '96, and became a very big Red Sox fan. For years I'd go to Boston for one NYY/BOS game a season. When they won in 2004, it was fucking awesome and I loved it. After winning in 2007, I noticed that the franchise and its fanbase were starting to remind me a lot of the Yankees.

I was initially attracted to the Red Sox because they were the cursed underdogs, and perhaps most importantly, the Anti-Yankees. Now you can hardly tell the difference, so fuck them.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know many hate the Red Sox and Boston by instinct but this is a pretty exciting Red Sox team. It's a fun team to watch.
I agree. If one truly likes the game, you have to like SOX baseball.

Darth_Tom

a.k.a. theseeker88
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cautiously optimistic is still the phrase I use for this team. Kimbrel giving me anxiety is the reason why I use cautiously optimistic lol

Pure Steel

Hoopla Cash
$ 102.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When the Red Sox win this, I wonder if they give Dave Roberts a WS ring.....

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously though, I'm not sure I would. I got into baseball when I lived in Boston in '96, and became a very big Red Sox fan. For years I'd go to Boston for one NYY/BOS game a season. When they won in 2004, it was fucking awesome and I loved it. After winning in 2007, I noticed that the franchise and its fanbase were starting to remind me a lot of the Yankees.

I was initially attracted to the Red Sox because they were the cursed underdogs, and perhaps most importantly, the Anti-Yankees. Now you can hardly tell the difference, so fuck them.

That's the problem with consistently winning. The fans start acting like they are entitled to win championships.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the problem with consistently winning. The fans start acting like they are entitled to win championships.

I agree.

But with NYY and BOS and their respective payrolls, it's even worse. For a long time, I'd heard "such-n-such-Indians-star-player is going to look good in a Yankees uniform," from Yankees fans. After 2007, I remember hearing "Grady Sizemore will look great in a Red Sox uniform" a few times.

In summation, fuck the Yankees and their fans, fuck the Red Sox and their fans, and most of all, fuck Grady Sizemore.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree.

But with NYY and BOS and their respective payrolls, it's even worse. For a long time, I'd heard "such-n-such-Indians-star-player is going to look good in a Yankees uniform," from Yankees fans. After 2007, I remember hearing "Grady Sizemore will look great in a Red Sox uniform" a few times.

In summation, fuck the Yankees and their fans, fuck the Red Sox and their fans, and most of all, fuck Grady Sizemore.

True to a good extent.

The good news is that there really aren't dynasties in baseball anywhere near like they're used to be. I grew up hating the Yankees (starting in the 60's) because they were always in the World Series.

The Red Sox have had a very good run in the last 10+ years with 4 Series but quite a number of different teams have won recently. And then there are the years the Red Sox were pathetic.

Basketball and football are much worse.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree.

Have the Yankees or Red Sox been notably unique in getting big name FAs?

The Yankees biggest recent acquisition was via a trade for Stanton. The Red Sox haven't really been a huge FA player EXCEPT for a few years after they last their last WS when Cherington started spending like a drunken sailor.

The only really big FA signings the Red Sox have done are Manny, Price, and JD Martinez although Martinez is a little strange because it seemed like no one else was all that interested in signing him.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True to a good extent.

The good news is that there really aren't dynasties in baseball anywhere near like they're used to be. I grew up hating the Yankees (starting in the 60's) because they were always in the World Series.

The Red Sox have had a very good run in the last 10+ years with 4 Series but quite a number of different teams have won recently. And then there are the years the Red Sox were pathetic.

Basketbally will always be lopsided. No way around that.

Football has one remarkably good team in the Patriots, otherwise it is pretty diverse. In the last 10 years we have had 9 different Super Bowl winners.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Basketbally will always be lopsided. No way around that.

Football has one remarkably good team in the Patriots, otherwise it is pretty diverse. In the last 10 years we have had 9 different Super Bowl winners.

It's really hard to repeat in football. That's what has been saving it.

nynasty

nynasty
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,181.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True to a good extent.

Right, for all the gnashing of teeth on the payroll imbalances, MLB hasn't seen a repeat World champ in 18 years. And counting.