• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

B1G Recruiting for 2016 Gets Serious

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kingston Davis and Dytarious Johnson from Alabama both chose Michigan. Michigan's recruiting class for 2016 has jumped to #7 nationally--right behind Alabama at #6. So, I'd wish you good luck, but I wouldn't mean it.

Only difference is Bama didn't offer either of those players:

Kingston Davis - Yahoo! Sports

Dytarious Johnson - Yahoo! Sports

Looks like Dytarious Johnson was offered by South Alabama and Alabama State though, so I guess that's close.

And also it should be noted Khalid Kareem had an offer from Michigan.

Khalid Kareem - Yahoo! Sports

Alabama State Rank:
Kingston Davis: 24th
Dytarious Johnson: 28th

Michigan State Rank:
Khalid Kareem: 2nd

My point is that Harbaugh is getting 2nd and 3rd tiers players from the South, while Saban just got one of the best players in Michigan....edge Bama.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You mean those two kids who didn't have an offer from Alabama? Gee, wonder why they chose michigan over Bama. Hmm...:scratch:
Not only that but Johnson doesn't have an offer outside of Michigan from a Power 5 school. Davis' recruiting profile is a little more impressive -- and based on his offer sheet I could see him jumping up in the rankings.

Davis holds offers from Mich, LSU, Florida, Nebraska, Vandy, Louisville, Mississippi, and Miss St.

That's pretty darn good. I could see him end up as a high 3, low 4 star kind of player.

But, no, Alabama doesn't care.

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You mean those two kids who didn't have an offer from Alabama? Gee, wonder why they chose michigan over Bama. Hmm...:scratch:

My point is that the road between Alabama and Michigan runs both ways.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point is that the road between Alabama and Michigan runs both ways.

Except comparing the situations is totally different. Michigan wanted the kid that just signed with Bama. Bama could give two shits about the kids from Alabama that went to Michigan...and all of that is reflected in scholarship offers.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I'm disappointed as to how many 2/3 star kids we have, I still think Harbaugh can get a pretty good class. If we can get at least 10 four star kids in there and at least one five star I'll be satisfied and it should lead to a top 15 class.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not only that but Johnson doesn't have an offer outside of Michigan from a Power 5 school. Davis' recruiting profile is a little more impressive -- and based on his offer sheet I could see him jumping up in the rankings.

Davis holds offers from Mich, LSU, Florida, Nebraska, Vandy, Louisville, Mississippi, and Miss St.

That's pretty darn good. I could see him end up as a high 3, low 4 star kind of player.

But, no, Alabama doesn't care.
I'd be a bit concerned about Davis. I wouldn't be shocked if he flipped to LSU.

⚡️KingDavis™ @_King_LD
Just received an offer from LSU as an ATH!!
1f42f.png
#GeauxTigers

1:46 PM - 5 May 2015

Seems to be a bit excited for a guy who is hard committed to michigan.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After they're already committed? I know they're thankful, but he seems really pleased with it.
Yeah, I'm sure if you went through some of your commitment's twitter -- they would have similar stuff.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two things:

One, Stanford is a better academic school than Michigan. No shame in admitting that, and so is Harvard, Yale, and a handful of other school. And "handful" is the operative word, because Michigan a public school with a prominent athletic program, they will dip the academic standards for athletes, but that doesn't mean the lower themselves to Ohio State's level.

Two, even if we say Harbaugh was accurate when he many that statement several years ago, that doesn't mean it was true when he was a player, nor does it mean it is true now. At most you can say that Harbaugh was trying to remind Michigan on who they are, and now that he is the coach he will make sure the program will be held to that standard.

So your point???????

Just out of curiousity, has Michigan ever had a recruit pass NCAA clearinghouse standards but get rejected by admissions for academic reasons? This has happened to the Badgers at least ten times over the last four years, but to my knowledge it hasn't happened to Michigan once. I thought Michigan was fairly notorious as a school which had minimal academic requirements for athletes.

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just out of curiousity, has Michigan ever had a recruit pass NCAA clearinghouse standards but get rejected by admissions for academic reasons? This has happened to the Badgers at least ten times over the last four years, but to my knowledge it hasn't happened to Michigan once. I thought Michigan was fairly notorious as a school which had minimal academic requirements for athletes.

Michigan does not discuss these situations publicly. But, I'm sure it has happened. Also, academically borderline athletes at Michigan find the going very tough and have washed out academically even with all the help available to them. Michigan is no more notorious than Wisconsin in this regard.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michigan does not discuss these situations publicly.

If I was a meeeechegan fan I wouldn't wanna talk about the football program in public either!

laughingsmiley.gif

Well I better get outta here...:bolt:

:car:

Last edited:

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand how recruiting works just fine.

Its pretty evident you don't when you're comparing what Harbaugh has gotten in Alabama, the same as what Saban got in Michigan.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well since the 17th, Michigan has nabbed 3 four star players, 2 top 150 prospects. Up to 8 four stars in the class on rivals. Things are looking up. At this point, based on the rankings last year, that should almost guarantee us a spot in the top 20. Assuming the class is shooting for 25, the final 5 could make or break a top 15/top 10 finish.

The updated Rivals rankings are OSU 3, MSU 5 and Michigan 6. But the average star ranking of Michigan is still pretty low considering the low-end of our class. What's sad is that you take those 5 or so players off the bottom of our class and it looks a heck of a lot better.

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its pretty evident you don't when you're comparing what Harbaugh has gotten in Alabama, the same as what Saban got in Michigan.

I didn't say it was the "same."