• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

B1G Recruiting for 2016 Gets Serious

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, how many spots does Michigan have available? You have 20 recruits already, the SEC doesn't allow more than 25.

So 3 more spots?
Unless you are Tennessee then you can average 30 a year?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michigan will comply with the rules of the B1G. Are you looking at the number of players for 2015 or 2016?

You have 20 for the 2016 class right now. You know, the class we have been discussing for this entire thread?

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they are taking spots from more talented players that want to go to Michigan, why did Michigan offer them spots?
Well, if you ask Jim Harbaugh he'll say that they earned an offer at one of his camps; which is conflicting for me. On the one hand, I have to trust that Harbaugh is a good evaluator of talent, probably more so than most recruiting gurus. On the other hand, the fact that not only recruiting gurus but other coaches haven't taken notice still concerns me.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless you are Tennessee then you can average 30 a year?

Early enrollees and they can't seem to keep them at the school.

That's why I don't understand all the Tennessee hype. "They ranked so high in recruits" and I'm thinking - did you see how many they recruited?

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michigan didn't have as many spots on the roster for the 2015 class. Fewer players left the team, which was quite young. Michigan does not oversign or grayshirt--the B1G doesn't allow it and has stricter rules than the SEC. The rules for the 2016 class do not kick in until after national signing day next year.
I know it was not you but wasn't there a whole thread created about how Meyer was oversigning? You should educate your fellow MI fan on this.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, how many spots does Michigan have available? You have 20 recruits already, the SEC doesn't allow more than 25.

So 3 more spots?

It's really unknown right now. We have a bunch of 5th year seniors next year that may or may not be here after this year and a bunch of 1 year scholarships awarded to walk ons. The general consensus is that we have 25 spots but could change, especially with attrition. The B10 allows classes up to 28 (assuming you have room).

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, if you ask Jim Harbaugh he'll say that they earned an offer at one of his camps; which is conflicting for me. On the one hand, I have to trust that Harbaugh is a good evaluator of talent, probably more so than most recruiting gurus. On the other hand, the fact that not only recruiting gurus but other coaches haven't taken notice still concerns me.
I thought those camps weren't about recruiting? That's what many of the Michigan slappies were telling us.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought those camps weren't about recruiting? That's what many of the Michigan slappies were telling us.
If you'll see my post like a million posts ago, I stated pretty clearly something along the lines of, "Yes they're about recruiting, what else would they be for?"

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not spinning, you guys are. I'm putting it in perspective. You can look at the names of the teams I put out and see the difference. Want a list of the teams in the top50 with averages lower?

13. Kentucky
15. Duke
20. Florida
24. Texas Tech
26. Iowa
28. Northwestern
29. Wisconsin
31. Wake Forest

I'm just looking at the current rankings. I'm not trying to justify anything at this point.

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have 20 for the 2016 class right now. You know, the class we have been discussing for this entire thread?

That's right. The class that will not become final until NEXT February. You know, on NSD.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not necessarily. Michigan has 8 four star recruits. Alabama has 8 four star recruits and 1 five star. If we're ranking based on the number of highly rated kids, and not just total number of kids (highly rated or not) there are only 6 teams with 8 or more four star recruits right now. Michigan is one of them. It's very unlikely that most of the teams you list surpass our number of four star recruits.

I'll put it another way - look at past top recruiting classes of the past.

It's really unknown right now. We have a bunch of 5th year seniors next year that may or may not be here after this year and a bunch of 1 year scholarships awarded to walk ons. The general consensus is that we have 25 spots but could change, especially with attrition. The B10 allows classes up to 28 (assuming you have room).

Do you actually know what over signing is and how it works?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's right. The class that will not become final until NEXT February. You know, on NSD.

Yeah, and you have 20 spots taken already. So how many more spots do you have available if you aren't going to oversign?

I'm starting to think you and M&B aren't able to follow the conversation.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll put it another way - look at past top recruiting classes of the past.

Do you actually know what over signing is and how it works?

I have looked at those classes -- go back and look at some of my recent comments. I said that right now our class with the current numbers of 2, 3 and 4 star kids would definitely put us in the top 20. It's certainly not an actual top 10 class at this point. But they could close it out to be.

Unfortunately, Jim H is keeping everything pretty close to his chest as far as who's in and who's out. In January there were rumors of a few kids who would be out of football because of injuries and we still have no idea who they are. And, as mentioned, we have a bunch of 5th year guys who may or may not be back. So actual numbers are hard to figure out.

I'm beginning to think you don't know what over signing is? You can sign as many kids as you have room for. Over signing implies that you signed more than you have room for and you need to figure out how to cut kids to make the cap. If we have 25 spots open and fill those 25 spots, that's not over signing. If things get sketchy after the season, I'll be the first to call it out.

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, and you have 20 spots taken already. So how many more spots do you have available if you aren't going to oversign?

I'm starting to think you and M&B aren't able to follow the conversation.

No player is officially committed until he signs an official LOI and enrolls. Players are able to decommit until that point. So, the fact that Michigan now has 20 commits doesn't mean all of those 20 commits will be there in the end.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No player is officially committed until he signs an official LOI and enrolls. Players are able to decommit until that point. So, the fact that Michigan now has 20 commits doesn't mean all of those 20 commits will be there in the end.

:L

So Michigan doesn't intend for all 20 of them to be there?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have looked at those classes -- go back and look at some of my recent comments. I said that right now our class with the current numbers of 2, 3 and 4 star kids would definitely put us in the top 20. It's certainly not an actual top 10 class at this point. But they could close it out to be.

Unfortunately, Jim H is keeping everything pretty close to his chest as far as who's in and who's out. In January there were rumors of a few kids who would be out of football because of injuries and we still have no idea who they are. And, as mentioned, we have a bunch of 5th year guys who may or may not be back. So actual numbers are hard to figure out.

I'm beginning to think you don't know what over signing is? You can sign as many kids as you have room for. Over signing implies that you signed more than you have room for and you need to figure out how to cut kids to make the cap. If we have 25 spots open and fill those 25 spots, that's not over signing. If things get sketchy after the season, I'll be the first to call it out.

So as long as you have a reason for why the kids are cut, it's not oversigning?

Can you point out the kids from Alabama that were kicked out or cut and it wasn't with reason? Because our "excessive attrition" all comes from legitimate sources.

You basically just described what happens at Alabama. Injuries, transfers, kids get in trouble with the police, NFL draft, graduation, etc.

And oversigning is not so much about the number of kids signed, it's about the attrition. So you sit here and you talk about you are about to have excessive attrition, but then at the same time you claim you know what oversigning is.

No team enters the season with more than 85 on the roster.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So as long as you have a reason for why the kids are cut, it's not oversigning?

Can you point out the kids from Alabama that were kicked out or cut and it wasn't with reason? Because our "excessive attrition" all comes from legitimate sources.

You basically just described what happens at Alabama. Injuries, transfers, kids get in trouble with the police, NFL draft, graduation, etc.

And oversigning is not so much about the number of kids signed, it's about the attrition. So you sit here and you talk about you are about to have excessive attrition, but then at the same time you claim you know what oversigning is.

No team enters the season with more than 85 on the roster.

The problem is over signing a class and then kicking kids out of the class or off the team to make room. If you're, say, aware of a current injury in February and sign a kid to fill that spot -- that's not over-signing. That's just preparing for the inevitable. Again, attrition is fine. But attrition due to signing a too big class and then scrambling to make room is wrong. You're never going to go a year and keep everyone on the team, it just doesn't happen.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is over signing a class and then kicking kids out of the class or off the team to make room. If you're, say, aware of a current injury in February and sign a kid to fill that spot -- that's not over-signing. That's just preparing for the inevitable. Again, attrition is fine. But attrition due to signing a too big class and then scrambling to make room is wrong. You're never going to go a year and keep everyone on the team, it just doesn't happen.

:L

Ok, so you don't know what oversigning is.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michigan didn't have as many spots on the roster for the 2015 class. Fewer players left the team, which was quite young. Michigan does not oversign or grayshirt--the B1G doesn't allow it and has stricter rules than the SEC. The rules for the 2016 class do not kick in until after national signing day next year.

I remember a thread being created about Meyer for kicking a kid off who was not medically cleared. Isnt this what you are saying Harbs will do? Are you going to start a thread about Harbs and how horrible he is? I really doubt you will, I am guessing you will have a reason its ok.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about if you tell a kid in January that he is not cleared to play and then sign a kid to that spot, is that OK?