• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

B1G Recruiting for 2016 Gets Serious

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So even though it was the first time the docs at tOSU had a chance to look at him still shady?

If he is healty, how is a 4 start who had lots of potential not needed?

I'm not getting into it again. We disagree on how that player was treated and the player, his coaches and family fall on my side of the argument. But that more closely resembles over signing than anything Michigan has done under Jim Harbaugh up to this point.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Check Rivals.com. 24/7 Sports will eventually catch up.
So, again, you don't know how recruiting works. At least not how the recruiting sites work. 24/7 uses a composite for their rankings of all of the major recruiting services. Rivals only ranks the classes according to their own metrics. Scout still has michigan at 8th, and ESPN actually has them at 12th.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not getting into it again. We disagree on how that player was treated and the player, his coaches and family fall on my side of the argument. But that more closely resembles over signing than anything Michigan has done under Jim Harbaugh up to this point.
Get real. You fall on the player's side because it was Ohio State.

Fact still remains, he was a 4* player at a position of need. If we thought he was healthy enough to play, he'd be on the roster. There's no reason to not medically clear him, and I haven't seen a single compelling argument that says otherwise.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, again, you don't know how recruiting works. At least not how the recruiting sites work. 24/7 uses a composite for their rankings of all of the major recruiting services. Rivals only ranks the classes according to their own metrics. Scout still has michigan at 8th, and ESPN actually has them at 12th.
I think we can all agree that ESPN is garbage for everything, especially college recruiting.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we can all agree that ESPN is garbage for everything, especially college recruiting.
6-7 years ago I'd agree with you, but they're not that far off. They've invested a lot more into it over the past few years it seems. I mean, none of these rankings are all that amazing. They're just the ones we have. None of them really stand out anymore in terms of accuracy it seems.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, the B10 limits our classes to 28. Unlike the SEC, we cannot sign classes of 30+. The most Michigan could sign is 28. All recruiting experts based on predictions of who's going to be here next year suggest that this class will be around 25.

The NCAA limits classes to 28 max, however what they do is things like early enrollees count on last years class number, not the current year. Those kids count on the previous class, not the current class. That is how teams like Tennessee go over the limits.

The Big 10 rule is not "28", you are allowed to oversign by 3 recruits. So if you have X spots open, you can recruit X + 3.

Illinois had 30 recruits about 5 years ago, and it wasn't against the Big10 rules. Again, all because of what classes they count on etc.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NCAA limits classes to 28 max, however what they do is things like early enrollees count on last years class number, not the current year. Those kids count on the previous class, not the current class. That is how teams like Tennessee go over the limits.

The Big 10 rule is not "28", you are allowed to oversign by 3 recruits. So if you have X spots open, you can recruit X + 3.

Illinois had 30 recruits about 5 years ago, and it wasn't against the Big10 rules. Again, all because of what classes they count on etc.
Hmm, didn't know that. Interesting. I still don't think Michigan could get to 30, I just don't think we'll have the room for that size of a class and would have to do some shady shit to fit them in.

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I wasn't the one who originally said that, but I was curious to the answer of his question.

So if you expect those kids to sign, then it's perfectly questionable to ask how many slots are left. I didn't ask the original question in order to start an oversigning discussion. I asked because if Michigan doesn't have any/many spots left and they've already filled them up with 2 stars, then it's pretty foolish.

The good classes will be signing 7-8 more 4 and 5 star recruits. Does Michigan still have that many spots available? If not, then their class is going to drop like a rock in the future(as my average vs rank posts were pointing out). The alternative is Michigan gets into oversigning territory because 8 more commits = 28 in 1 class.

Honestly, I'm not even sure why you would think the number of recruits in a recruiting discussion was irrelevant.

I don't and didn't.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, in an attempt to get this pissing match back on track, I'd like to point out that with Penn State rising 3 spots, the B1G now claim 4 of the top 9 classes in the nation -

3. Ohio State
6. MSU
7. michigan
9. Penn State

Also not far down -

21. Nebraska
26. Iowa
27. Wisconsin
28. Maryland
31. Northwestern
34. Minnesota

Seeing 10 B1G teams ranked in the top 35 is damn impressive.

Also, am I the only one that feels like, if not for such stringent academic standards, Northwestern could be a real power? Young, talented coach, beautiful campus, sits right by one of the funnest cities in the country.

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, in an attempt to get this pissing match back on track, I'd like to point out that with Penn State rising 3 spots, the B1G now claim 4 of the top 9 classes in the nation -

3. Ohio State
6. MSU
7. michigan
9. Penn State

Also not far down -

21. Nebraska
26. Iowa
27. Wisconsin
28. Maryland
31. Northwestern
34. Minnesota

Also, am I the only one that feels like, if not for such stringent academic standards, Northwestern could be a real power? Young, talented coach, beautiful campus, sits right by one of the funnest cities in the country.

Excellent post, Across the Field! That was the point I was trying to make when I started this thread. I agree that Northwestern could be a real power. But, some universities are unwilling to compromise academic standards.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Excellent post, Across the Field! That was the point I was trying to make when I started this thread. I agree that Northwestern could be a real power. But, some universities are unwilling to compromise academic standards.
Glad we can both agree on something.

I feel like the classes ranked so highly can still stay right around where they are except for Iowa and Northwestern. Neither has a 4*, and both face challenges attracting that level of talent for various reasons. I think Nebraska, Wisconsin, and Maryland all end up with top 25 classes with Minnesota right on the outside, maybe around 30-35. As much shit as I was talking about michigan's class, odds are they end up with more 4-5* commits than 3* commits going forward. Things definitely look good for the B1G right now after so many down years.

Looking back, I wish I would've applied at Northwestern. I'm happy to say I attended Ohio State, but damn, Chicago is a great town. There's an opening in my company right now in Houston, and I received some support to interview for it, but I found out the same position will be opening in Chicago in the next year/year and a half. Needless to say I'm biding my time.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

3. Ohio State
6. MSU
7. michigan
9. Penn State

Also not far down -

21. Nebraska
26. Iowa
27. Wisconsin
28. Maryland
31. Northwestern
34. Minnesota

It certainly is in huge contrast from what normally happens. I think the Michigan State recruiting is the most surprising. It's taken a pretty long time and multiple B10 titles for them to recruit well.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It certainly is in huge contrast from what normally happens. I think the Michigan State recruiting is the most surprising. It's taken a pretty long time and multiple B10 titles for them to recruit well.
They're becoming a big destination for defensive players and RBs. Le'Veon Bell is arguably the best RB in the NFL, and Langford is the heir apparent to Forte. Also have to give them credit for the WR recruiting. Their 2016 class has two of the top 35 WRs in the nation. I'll be interested to see how Damion Terry works out, but they need another QB in 2016 after not taking one in 2014 or 15.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're becoming a big destination for defensive players and RBs. Le'Veon Bell is arguably the best RB in the NFL, and Langford is the heir apparent to Forte. Also have to give them credit for the WR recruiting. Their 2016 class has two of the top 35 WRs in the nation. I'll be interested to see how Damion Terry works out, but they need another QB in 2016 after not taking one in 2014 or 15.
They did have the QB commit that ended up body slamming that school guard and they kicked him out of the class. I think that really screwed up their recruiting on QB. They did land Brian Lewerke in 2015 but they're putting a lot of eggs into a couple baskets.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They did have the QB commit that ended up body slamming that school guard and they kicked him out of the class. I think that really screwed up their recruiting on QB. They did land Brian Lewerke in 2015 but they're putting a lot of eggs into a couple baskets.

I missed Lewerke, he actually doesn't look bad.

Yeah, Jayru Campbell was that little thug. I hope he spends his remaining days in a cell. I know he's like 18, but he appears to be about as loose a cannon as someone can be. Definitely a danger to society.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I missed Lewerke, he actually doesn't look bad.

Yeah, Jayru Campbell was that little thug. I hope he spends his remaining days in a cell. I know he's like 18, but he appears to be about as loose a cannon as someone can be. Definitely a danger to society.

After he did the bodyslam, he assaulted his girlfriend and landed in jail again. Last I heard he was trying to play at some lower level school.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After he did the bodyslam, he assaulted his girlfriend and landed in jail again. Last I heard he was trying to play at some lower level school.
Wow, whatever school that is, good frickin luck. He doesn't seem like the type that takes well to authority.

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glad we can both agree on something.
Looking back, I wish I would've applied at Northwestern. I'm happy to say I attended Ohio State, but damn, Chicago is a great town. There's an opening in my company right now in Houston, and I received some support to interview for it, but I found out the same position will be opening in Chicago in the next year/year and a half. Needless to say I'm biding my time.

I actually was accepted at both Northwestern and Michigan. I'm glad I went to Michigan, but it was a difficult choice that I don't regret at all. I also LOVE Chicago and thought it would be wonderful to go to college there (well, Evanston is close enough). Houston is pretty good, too. My son works for Exxon and just moved there from DC.