• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

B1G Recruiting for 2016 Gets Serious

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually was accepted at both Northwestern and Michigan. I'm glad I went to Michigan, but it was a difficult choice that I don't regret at all. I also LOVE Chicago and thought it would be wonderful to go to college there (well, Evanston is close enough). Houston is pretty good, too. My son works for Exxon and just moved there from DC.
I'm in the energy sector myself. Hard to beat Houston in terms of opportunities in that industry. It isn't a bad place, but holy hell, is it humid. I was down there last July in full suit and tie. I basically swam through the parking lot into our office.

Good for your son, Exxon is a fantastic company. I've been working with them as a customer for some time.

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm in the energy sector myself. Hard to beat Houston in terms of opportunities in that industry. It isn't a bad place, but holy hell, is it humid. I was down there last July in full suit and tie. I basically swam through the parking lot into our office.

Good for your son, Exxon is a fantastic company. I've been working with them as a customer for some time.

Yes, I was just there for a visit. It was lovely in the evening but quite hot and humid during the day.

My son used to work for Procter and Gamble both in Cincinnati and around the world.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No school can publicly discuss student grades/test scores/etc. It's called FERPA and it's the law!

A school can't disclose grades publicly, sure, but you know when a student is turned down for academics (ie you have a recruit who is in your class, then they aren't, and when interviewed by "insiders," they will tell you why).

And schools can disclose grades and test scores GENERALLY. They are just not tied to individual people.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And schools can disclose grades and test scores GENERALLY. They are just not tied to individual people.
Since the original question was about disclosing disparity results for individuals, FERPA applies.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since the original question was about disclosing disparity results for individuals, FERPA applies.

Not really. If admissions rejects a recruit and they wind up on another D1 team immediately, that's clear evidence that you had a recruit who met NCAA standards but was rejected by your admissions. Just in the last two classes, five Wisconsin recruits have acknowledged this happened: Mohammed Barry (Nebraska), Craig Evans (Michigan State), Rohan Blackwood (South Florida), Chris Jones (Toledo) and Sam Madden (Georgia).

If your school is turning down kids for academics and they meet NCAA standards, you know it. Has it ever happened to Michigan, or are they simply making stuff up about their supposedly high standards for football players?

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And for the record, the article I linked to does mention that Michigan requires the most high school credits of any B1G school, so they got that going for them. It still doesn't address the GPA and ACT requirements, though.

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And for the record, the article I linked to does mention that Michigan requires the most high school credits of any B1G school, so they got that going for them. It still doesn't address the GPA and ACT requirements, though.

I'm not sure. I do know that GPA and ACT/SAT scores have a lower threshold for athletes. But, I also know that Michigan typically doesn't recruit athletes that don't meet the minimums for athletes no matter how good they are. Michigan also does not recruit junior college athletes as a matter of University policy.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Michigan signs around 30 this year btw. I've said so even back when he first became Michigan coach and had to hear about how Michigan doesn't oversign from Michigan fans. He had 17 last year because that was all he could get in the short time. He'll have a huge class this year with more time.

It's common for new coaches to come in and have huge classes their first years and higher attrition as they try to mold the teams into what they want/need for their system.

But don't sit here and tell me you aren't oversigning or doing those things when you clearly are. You just don't want to admit to being hypocrits.

And I don't even this this was the first time I called it. That what, 7 or 8 months in advance?

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would he seem worried? Michigan has more verbals and still sits behind them by 5 spots in the rankings. Michigan is basically Kentucky from a couple years ago. Michigan has what 10 more spots to fill, if they do that at their current average star ranking Michigan might not even finish in the top 20.

Do those words taste pretty good now?

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as what you are in the eyes of the average 17/18 year old, you might as well be Nebraska or Washington. You have a lot of ground to make up in order to get back to where you once were. I'm not saying you are exactly the same as Washington and Nebraska, it was simply a comparison to two other teams who were once great but have fallen off dramatically, like michigan has.

Right now, if you expect you just have high 4* and 5* kids flocking to your program, you're going to be extremely disappointed.

Not so much.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do those words taste pretty good now?

You are only in the top10 because you oversigned.

You're average star rating isn't in the top10.

Additionally, you dumped lower star players right before NSD.

So what part of "if they do that at their current average star ranking Michigan" do you not understand?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmm, didn't know that. Interesting. I still don't think Michigan could get to 30, I just don't think we'll have the room for that size of a class and would have to do some shady shit to fit them in.

when you are right you are right.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3