• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

B1G Recruiting for 2016 Gets Serious

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michigan's 2016 recruiting class is now ranked #7 nationally--right behind Michigan State on one site and Alabama on another.

Reported on College Sports: Rivals.com and other sites:

Four-Star Devery Hamilton chose Michigan over Stanford and Maryland.

"First and foremost, Michigan is a great academic school," said the 6-foot-6, 270-pound Hamilton. "I think Forbes ranked it as the No. 1 public university in the country. In terms of football tradition, they have the Big House and there is a lot of tradition behind the program. The coaching staff is brand new so it's a fresh start. Coach (Jim) Harbaugh and Coach (Tim) Drevno are really great coaches. They've been really successful looking at what they did with the 49ers and back at Stanford."

With academics played a huge part in his decision, Michigan went the extra mile to show Hamilton everything at its disposal.

"I met a professor from the business school," he said. "He was very open and inviting. He seemed like a nice person. I also talked to a pediatric oncologist at their hospital. He was very friendly. Both of them made sure that, if I was interested in going into either one of those fields, Michigan had the resources to point me in the right direction."

Michigan now has four 2016 offensive linemen committed. That has a lot to do with the coaching staff emphasizing that it is a position of need.

"I talk to Coach Drevno almost every day on Twitter," Hamilton said. "I call him at least twice a week. That's the main person I've been talking to. My parents talk to Coach Harbaugh a lot and I've talked to him a few times also. It's mainly those two that I communicate with.

"I think the people that they have so far are great offensive linemen," he said. "I can't choose my school based on somebody else's commitment. I definitely feel like the people that are committed are great people."

- See more at: Rivals.com Football Recruiting - Michigan gets four-star OL Hamilton

Guess who said this about academics and MI athletes.

“College football needs Stanford. We’re looking not for student athletes but scholar-athletes. No other school can carry this banner. The Ivy League schools don’t have enough weight [because of their low athletic level]. Other schools which have good academic reputations have ways to get borderline athletes in and keep them in.
Michigan is a good school and I got a good education there,” he said, “but the athletic department has ways to get borderline guys in and, when they’re in, they steer them to courses in sports communications. They’re adulated when they’re playing, but when they get out, the people who adulated them won’t hire them.”

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

“College football needs Stanford. We’re looking not for student athletes but scholar-athletes. No other school can carry this banner. The Ivy League schools don’t have enough weight [because of their low athletic level]. Other schools which have good academic reputations have ways to get borderline athletes in and keep them in.
Michigan is a good school and I got a good education there,” he said, “but the athletic department has ways to get borderline guys in and, when they’re in, they steer them to courses in sports communications. They’re adulated when they’re playing, but when they get out, the people who adulated them won’t hire them.”

I don't have to guess: Jim Harbaugh said it. He was Stanford's coach at the time. He also later recanted this statement saying it was off base.

Harbaugh likes to recruit players who are both smart and talented athletically. What's your point?

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't have to guess: Jim Harbaugh said it. He was Stanford's coach at the time. He also later recanted this statement saying it was off base.

Harbaugh likes to recruit players who are both smart and talented athletically. What's your point?
Of course he recanted. First the said what he really thought and meant every word, then the panties got in a bunch at MI so he "recanted".
He said what he meant and even Meyer had a comparison of MI to tOSU players with their respective majors. What Harbs said was 100% correct.

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course he recanted. First the said what he really thought and meant every word, then the panties got in a bunch at MI so he "recanted".
He said what he meant and even Meyer had a comparison of MI to tOSU players with their respective majors. What Harbs said was 100% correct.

Okay. What does this have to do with Devery Hamilton and his reasons for choosing Michigan?

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay. What does this have to do with Devery Hamilton and his reasons for choosing Michigan?
Well a football player discussed MI academics and I thought I would post a quote about MI academics from someone who would have good knowledge of said MI academics and football players. Seems relevant.

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well a football player discussed MI academics and I thought I would post a quote about MI academics from someone who would have good knowledge of said MI academics and football players. Seems relevant.

If not a slightly off-topic jab. . . . I'd say a player who is considering pediatric oncology as a career choice doesn't quite fit the profile of a player who is borderline academically and just squeaks by. And, if he chose Michigan because he believes the academics are strong, he's making a good choice (one that is well supported by many sources). I wonder how many academically borderline athletes Ohio State recruits.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If not a slightly off-topic jab. . . . I'd say a player who is considering pediatric oncology as a career choice doesn't quite fit the profile of a player who is borderline academically and just squeaks by. And, if he chose Michigan because he believes the academics are strong, he's making a good choice (one that is well supported by many sources). I wonder how many academically borderline athletes Ohio State recruits.
All of them.

I do not know first hand about MI academics, I just took the word of someone who does.

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All of them.

I do not know first hand about MI academics, I just took the word of someone who does.

Let's see. You took the word of a then rival coach, who graduated from Michigan years before he made that comment and who, by his own admission, lacked a clear understanding of what a general studies degree entails and who has since recanted. Okay.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's see. You took the word of a then rival coach, who graduated from Michigan years before he made that comment and who, by his own admission, lacked a clear understanding of what a general studies degree entails and who has since recanted. Okay.
Took the word of a "Michigan man" who was still admired by the fans and had strong ties to the university. He spoke from experience.

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Took the word of a "Michigan man" who was still admired by the fans and had strong ties to the university. He spoke from experience.

Well, that must be a first.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When we're Stanford and Michigan rivals?

GoBlueNavyNuke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Two things:

One, Stanford is a better academic school than Michigan. No shame in admitting that, and so is Harvard, Yale, and a handful of other school. And "handful" is the operative word, because Michigan a public school with a prominent athletic program, they will dip the academic standards for athletes, but that doesn't mean the lower themselves to Ohio State's level.

Two, even if we say Harbaugh was accurate when he many that statement several years ago, that doesn't mean it was true when he was a player, nor does it mean it is true now. At most you can say that Harbaugh was trying to remind Michigan on who they are, and now that he is the coach he will make sure the program will be held to that standard.

So your point???????

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't Hoke do that same thing?

Hoke had a couple of great O-line classes, much of which we're relying on now to really help the team. They should be Juniors and Seniors now -- about the time you expect OL to blossom.

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kingston Davis and Dytarious Johnson from Alabama both chose Michigan. Michigan's recruiting class for 2016 has jumped to #7 nationally--right behind Alabama at #6. So, I'd wish you good luck, but I wouldn't mean it.

Yeah man, I bet Saban has the entire staff working in shifts now.

lebowski-leads-o.gif

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two things:

One, Stanford is a better academic school than Michigan. No shame in admitting that, and so is Harvard, Yale, and a handful of other school. And "handful" is the operative word, because Michigan a public school with a prominent athletic program, they will dip the academic standards for athletes, but that doesn't mean the lower themselves to Ohio State's level.

Two, even if we say Harbaugh was accurate when he many that statement several years ago, that doesn't mean it was true when he was a player, nor does it mean it is true now. At most you can say that Harbaugh was trying to remind Michigan on who they are, and now that he is the coach he will make sure the program will be held to that standard.

So your point???????

Who could've guessed you'd go back to this classic dud.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kingston Davis and Dytarious Johnson from Alabama both chose Michigan. Michigan's recruiting class for 2016 has jumped to #7 nationally--right behind Alabama at #6. So, I'd wish you good luck, but I wouldn't mean it.
You mean those two kids who didn't have an offer from Alabama? Gee, wonder why they chose michigan over Bama. Hmm...:scratch: