• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

At a glance: 2019 The Ohio State Buckeyes 2019 College Football Schedule

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First paragraph: Valid points, teams change year to year. I still don’t expect tOSU to drop more than a game regular season though.

Second paragraph: You’re full of shit, you just won’t admit I had him.
I'm hopeful. I think long-term, it's going to work out very well with Day. I'm hoping for Lincoln Riley, but with the smarts to maintain an actual defensive coaching staff and not a collection of mops in a bucket wearing team colors.

What does "had him" mean?

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where has the Jet Sweep Pass been?

Here.... Jesus

You're telling me I don't remember the 2014 season? Give me a break.

I agreed with much of what you said, so not sure what the argument is?

My only comment was they took more shots downfield in 2014 because they had the premiere deep in CFB that year. Another good point from the article you posted — they also had the best blocking back in Zeke to help with pass pro.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again - feel free to show your work at any time.

Did you miss the thread where you were nominated as one of the biggest homers?

And not one, not two, but three people calling you out in this thread?!?

Is everyone lying? Or.........if the shoes fits, wear it.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm hopeful. I think long-term, it's going to work out very well with Day. I'm hoping for Lincoln Riley, but with the smarts to maintain an actual defensive coaching staff and not a collection of mops in a bucket wearing team colors.

What does "had him" mean?

Truthfully I think you’ll be fine defensively. Sure last year was a disaster. But defensively overall these last 20 years you guys are pretty damn good.

He actually believed me when I said you’d lose 4 games. He was willing to bet me this. I wasn’t serious yet he was.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Truthfully I think you’ll be fine defensively. Sure last year was a disaster. But defensively overall these last 20 years you guys are pretty damn good.

He actually believed me when I said you’d lose 4 games. He was willing to bet me this. I wasn’t serious yet he was.
I'm extremely hopeful that the change in faces will make the difference we need, especially at LB. I think Malik Harrison is going to be really good, and I think Borland can bounce back, but I won't be upset if Werner is replaced by one of the younger guys. A change in playcalling right away can clear some of it up, so here's hoping.

Ok.

Reactions: gob

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you miss the thread where you were nominated as one of the biggest homers?

And not one, not two, but three people calling you out in this thread?!?

Is everyone lying? Or.........if the shoes fits, wear it.
So, despite that thread, you still can't actually think for yourself and demonstrate how I'm just some homer.

Also, you realize the other two in this thread didn't actually demonstrate it either, right? I mean, samurai literally made something up, like what you do. No wonder people think I'm a homer, they read idiotic posts like that and think I'm saying these ridiculous things that I'm not.

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't really been following this through the entire thread, but @TrustMeIamRight someone is not inherently wrong because they are a homer which from the recent posts seems like all you are insinuating.

@Across The Field - It is okay to be a homer... so long as you are still arguing facts. None of us want our teams to do poorly or be bashed. We are all a homer to some degree.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't really been following this through the entire thread, but @TrustMeIamRight someone is not inherently wrong because they are a homer which from the recent posts seems like all you are insinuating.

@Across The Field - It is okay to be a homer... so long as you are still arguing facts. None of us want our teams to do poorly or be bashed. We are all a homer to some degree.
Dude I'm definitely a homer. I've said that multiple times, I've got no problem with that.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, 5* QBs are horrible building blocks.
I obviously followed him closely this year.
  • He was an early enrollee, and got a lot of practice against a really good D, so that's good.
  • He didn't get any meaningful playing time - one reason he's yours now - but when he played against better teams he had a tendency to make the first read and then tuck and run. Not surprising, most freshman QBs that are DT do the same thing. It's instinctive.
  • He looked great against UMass, but that was UMass.
  • Don't expect him to be Lawrence or Fromm, yet ... they all played in high level Georgia high school programs, but Lawrence and Fromm had better coaching and played in systems that were more conducive to the offense they are running at their respective teams. Fields did not play in an offense like he will run at OSU. Fields had 1/3 the experience in high school compared to Lawrence and Fromm. He started late, and then got injured. A lot of people don't realize the disparity in the experience, but that is 100% true.
  • As you state, he is a 5* building block. But, there is a reason he didn't beat out Fromm, and he needs time to develop. Your schedule looks like he will have some time to do that, assuming he gets the waiver.
  • If you put a gun to my head I'd have to say he is more likely to turn out to be a good QB than a bad QB, but it's all potential for now. If I were an OSU fan I'd have a lot more hope for 2021 and 2022 than in 2019.
I am torn ... I usually don't care when a kid transfers. But, throwing my university under the bus on the way out in order to get his waiver leads a bad taste in my mouth. At the end of the day he is a good kid, although I will be less charitable about the people around him. If he does well, so long as it isn't against us, I suspect I will be pulling for him.

fishinabarrel

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reading through this makes me so happy that Michigan fans still find hope. Every year I think they are going to give up but the manage to find it. This year, after the beat down Michigan was given when they entered the game favored, thought for sure there would be nothing left. This thread delivered though

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I obviously followed him closely this year.
  • He was an early enrollee, and got a lot of practice against a really good D, so that's good.
  • He didn't get any meaningful playing time - one reason he's yours now - but when he played against better teams he had a tendency to make the first read and then tuck and run. Not surprising, most freshman QBs that are DT do the same thing. It's instinctive.
  • He looked great against UMass, but that was UMass.
  • Don't expect him to be Lawrence or Fromm, yet ... they all played in high level Georgia high school programs, but Lawrence and Fromm had better coaching and played in systems that were more conducive to the offense they are running at their respective teams. Fields did not play in an offense like he will run at OSU. Fields had 1/3 the experience in high school compared to Lawrence and Fromm. He started late, and then got injured. A lot of people don't realize the disparity in the experience, but that is 100% true.
  • As you state, he is a 5* building block. But, there is a reason he didn't beat out Fromm, and he needs time to develop. Your schedule looks like he will have some time to do that, assuming he gets the waiver.
  • If you put a gun to my head I'd have to say he is more likely to turn out to be a good QB than a bad QB, but it's all potential for now. If I were an OSU fan I'd have a lot more hope for 2021 and 2022 than in 2019.
I am torn ... I usually don't care when a kid transfers. But, throwing my university under the bus on the way out in order to get his waiver leads a bad taste in my mouth. At the end of the day he is a good kid, although I will be less charitable about the people around him. If he does well, so long as it isn't against us, I suspect I will be pulling for him.
This is some really good insight, I appreciate it. A couple of thoughts:

- After watching his highlights, it looked like he ran a lot more designed runs than "one read and run". This isn't a very big concern considering he was a true freshman, and when he did throw, he looks like he had a very strong, accurate arm.
- I'm not expecting him to come in right away and be end of year Lawrence, but I think by November, he could be close. He's going to have an incredible amount of talented players around him to help make the transition easier.
- To be fair, if Lawrence was at UGA, he wouldn't have beaten out Fromm either. Hell, he didn't even beat out Kelly Bryant until the 5th game of the season, and Bryant is not good. Also, Fromm is a really, really good QB. He was a high-end prospect who came in as a true freshman and led them to the brink of a national title, and he tossed 30 TDs to 6 INTs last year and had them back in the CCG. It's not as if Fields was having trouble beating out some mediocre talent like Lawrence did.
- You might be right about the future being brighter than this season, but Fields is a special kid from all I've seen and heard. I have no doubt Day will get the most out of him. If it's a 10-2 season this year, I'm not worried. I think we have an excellent young QB who will fit our offense perfectly.
- I don't think it's fair to say he "threw them under the bus". Regardless of playing time, I can't fault a kid for wanting to leave a university where a fellow student-athlete repeatedly directed the N word at him within a few months of the start of his first season. UGA handled it well, no question, but there's no saying what sort of impact that truly had on him.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah this is our off year regarding playing another major team. UC is probably a top 25 team to start the year though, so it helps. Then we go to Autzen in 2020.
If not mistaken, TCU was supposed to be on the schedule this year but changed to one neutral game (from home and home) because BIG went to 9 game schedule.

Probably need to go undefeated to make CFP.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If not mistaken, TCU was supposed to be on the schedule this year but changed to one neutral game (from home and home) because BIG went to 9 game schedule.

I didn't think it was due to the 9 game schedule. I thought TCU just wanted to pull out. I could be wrong though.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well originally we were supposed to be home/home in 2018-2019 with Tennessee, but it was cancelled back in 2011 when we went to the 9 game schedule.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well originally we were supposed to be home/home in 2018-2019 with Tennessee, but it was cancelled back in 2011 when we went to the 9 game schedule.
Forgot about that one....TCU was also a home and home and changed. Do we know why?

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forgot about that one....TCU was also a home and home and changed. Do we know why?
TCU wanted to change it for some reason. We agreed to their request.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably OK, I think Cincinnati will actually be better than them this year anyhow.
That is true, but I think we added Miami in their place.

Miami sucks, right?

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is true, but I think we added Miami in their place.

Miami sucks, right?
Oh damn, that sucks. Would've been sweet to have them both on the schedule this year. Yes, they do suck.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is some really good insight, I appreciate it. A couple of thoughts:

- After watching his highlights, it looked like he ran a lot more designed runs than "one read and run". This isn't a very big concern considering he was a true freshman, and when he did throw, he looks like he had a very strong, accurate arm.
- I'm not expecting him to come in right away and be end of year Lawrence, but I think by November, he could be close. He's going to have an incredible amount of talented players around him to help make the transition easier.
- To be fair, if Lawrence was at UGA, he wouldn't have beaten out Fromm either. Hell, he didn't even beat out Kelly Bryant until the 5th game of the season, and Bryant is not good. Also, Fromm is a really, really good QB. He was a high-end prospect who came in as a true freshman and led them to the brink of a national title, and he tossed 30 TDs to 6 INTs last year and had them back in the CCG. It's not as if Fields was having trouble beating out some mediocre talent like Lawrence did.
- You might be right about the future being brighter than this season, but Fields is a special kid from all I've seen and heard. I have no doubt Day will get the most out of him. If it's a 10-2 season this year, I'm not worried. I think we have an excellent young QB who will fit our offense perfectly.
- I don't think it's fair to say he "threw them under the bus". Regardless of playing time, I can't fault a kid for wanting to leave a university where a fellow student-athlete repeatedly directed the N word at him within a few months of the start of his first season. UGA handled it well, no question, but there's no saying what sort of impact that truly had on him.
There were certainly designed run plays, but there were far more RPOs in which he held the ball and ran instead of taking the pass. Again, not unexpected for a true freshman with limited high school experience in a system designed for him to run.

He certainly can throw the ball. Has a fantastic arm, and he is very accurate. The physical skills wouldn't be my concern if I were you. It's the intangibles that he has to develop. But, most young QBs have to do that ... being a Fromm or Lawrence who can perform at a high level as a true freshman is quite rare.

I assure you we've debated the Fromm v. Lawrence thing a lot. Fromm struggled a little early in the season, if you can call struggling being top 5 in efficiency. After the LSU game his numbers were actually better than Tua and Murrays. If Lawrence hadn't gotten him before or at LSU, he wouldn't have won the job, IMO.

He threw UGa under the bus. Their lawyer leaked the racial angle the Sunday before the Tuesday ESD. That was designed to cause havoc, and it did. The entire Sasser incident was something Fields never heard ... the N word was in the stands in Sanford Stadium with 94,000 other people. It was about him, not directed at him. His sister signed to play softball at UGa after the incident ... is Justin just too sensitive, but Jaiden isn't? The Fields family met with Sasser, forgave him, and tried to intercede on his behalf to keep him from getting kicked out. So, no, he isn't transferring for any racial incident ... he is transferring because he doesn't want to sit behind Fromm for the next two years. I can't blame him for not wanting that, but the racial angle is 100% BS made up to get his wavier. Due to negative PR, it will probably work. For that it will take a while, if ever, for me to be a fan of his. But, I think you guys got a good one for sure.