• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Assholes @ M's: July 26th - 28th

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Idk if you guys have read this, pretty damning. Honestly I am shocked that the Mariners haven't paid the Seattle Times to make Ryan Divish go away, he calls out this shit franchise just like we do here.

Boo fucking hoo. So they traded your friend. Get over it.

" It was infuriating for players and fans, who feel like the Mariners are refusing to commit to this team and its surprising success."

This is such a stupid statement. 20 years of bad baseball and we're willing to just abandon a long term plan for the sake of trying to win it all this surprise season? For the most part, fans don't know shit about front office management. I don't think the general fans' feelings matter when it comes to building a consistently winning franchise from near scratch.

Last edited:

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boo fucking hoo. So they traded your friend. Get over it.

" It was infuriating for players and fans, who feel like the Mariners are refusing to commit to this team and its surprising success."

This is such a stupid statement. 20 years of bad baseball and we're willing to just abandon a long term plan for the sake of trying to win it all this surprise season? For the most part, fans don't know shit about front office management. I don't think the general fans' feelings matter when it comes to building a consistently winning franchise from near scratch.
You may think that but that isn’t how pro sports work or really any successful business works. You don’t want your franchise or business being a place where people only go to make a paycheck. You want a quality product, but most importantly you want a place where people want to come work at and a place where your supervisors want you to succeed not just be average. If you are an employee at a small business and the owners entire philosophy on his/her company is to stay a small business then you want to look for another job as soon as you can. You don’t have to be at Amazon where the workplace is toxic but you don’t stay at McDonalds where there is a cap on your lifestyle.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You may think that but that isn’t how pro sports work or really any successful business works. You don’t want your franchise or business being a place where people only go to make a paycheck. You want a quality product, but most importantly you want a place where people want to come work at and a place where your supervisors want you to succeed not just be average. If you are an employee at a small business and the owners entire philosophy on his/her company is to stay a small business then you want to look for another job as soon as you can. You don’t have to be at Amazon where the workplace is toxic but you don’t stay at McDonalds where there is a cap on your lifestyle.

Who's just going to make a paycheck in this scenario? Jerry's job is to improve the team. Sometimes that means using assets to acquire others.

This industry is not Amazon. Trades are a regular occurance and a tool management uses to make the jobs of those guys better. They're acting like the rug was pulled out from under them, when in reality, dealing Graveman is the right move.

I'd get it if Haniger, Kikuchi, and Seager were dealt, but we spent from a place of depth to acquire a piece to fill a hole. That's just good business.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LHP Tyler Anderson coming to Seattle.

Was about to be traded to the Phillies earlier today before that fell through

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who's just going to make a paycheck in this scenario? Jerry's job is to improve the team. Sometimes that means using assets to acquire others.

This industry is not Amazon. Trades are a regular occurance and a tool management uses to make the jobs of those guys better. They're acting like the rug was pulled out from under them, when in reality, dealing Graveman is the right move.

I'd get it if Haniger, Kikuchi, and Seager were dealt, but we spent from a place of depth to acquire a piece to fill a hole. That's just good business.
Kyle Seager, Mitch Haniger, Marco Gonzales. The only legit vets in the clubhouse who’s job it is to mentor the younger guys and have a smiley face when free agents talk to.

Without question it isn’t Amazon, but it isn’t McDonalds either which was my point. No one is saying Graveman was untouchable whatsoever. But for a utility guy isn’t getting his worth. If the market determined he isn’t worth anything more than a utility player then you don’t trade him and let him walk in the off-season because he is your best bullpen arm and you control your own destiny. If they got swept by the Astros are were 4 games out of the WC by July 30th then this isn’t an issue. But 1 out of 3 against the Astros still leave them in firm contention for a playoff push.

Kikuchi is the guy they should be actively shopping in terms of getting better without giving up the future. Graveman being dealt is a punch in the gut to the clubhouse, Seager being traded would be a Mike Tyson left hook. Dealing Haniger would be an uppercut ending the fight. Eventually Jerry/management is going to have to go for it. If you aren’t then just be honest to your fans and don’t blatantly lie. Would it suck hearing we didn’t expect to be here and we don’t feel we are ready, of course and it would piss fans off and would affect attendance the rest of the year. But pissing on fans and expecting us to pretend it is raining when this ownership group and Jerry have zero equity is moronic….IMO.

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Predicting the RED hydro wins tonight. You can take it to the bank. :thumb: :pound:

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kyle Seager, Mitch Haniger, Marco Gonzales. The only legit vets in the clubhouse who’s job it is to mentor the younger guys and have a smiley face when free agents talk to.

Without question it isn’t Amazon, but it isn’t McDonalds either which was my point. No one is saying Graveman was untouchable whatsoever. But for a utility guy isn’t getting his worth. If the market determined he isn’t worth anything more than a utility player then you don’t trade him and let him walk in the off-season because he is your best bullpen arm and you control your own destiny. If they got swept by the Astros are were 4 games out of the WC by July 30th then this isn’t an issue. But 1 out of 3 against the Astros still leave them in firm contention for a playoff push.

Kikuchi is the guy they should be actively shopping in terms of getting better without giving up the future. Graveman being dealt is a punch in the gut to the clubhouse, Seager being traded would be a Mike Tyson left hook. Dealing Haniger would be an uppercut ending the fight. Eventually Jerry/management is going to have to go for it. If you aren’t then just be honest to your fans and don’t blatantly lie. Would it suck hearing we didn’t expect to be here and we don’t feel we are ready, of course and it would piss fans off and would affect attendance the rest of the year. But pissing on fans and expecting us to pretend it is raining when this ownership group and Jerry have zero equity is moronic….IMO.

Toro doesn't project as just a utility guy. He has crushed AAA pitching and has fewer at bats in the league than Shed Long. He was also a top prospect in one of the best prospect farms in baseball the last 5 years. With 4 years of control there is a lot of upside for a young team looking to build for the near future. Giving up a rental bullpen arm for that is a good move regardless of how badly it hurts Kyle Seager's feelings.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Padres 7
A's 3

By the way

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Toro doesn't project as just a utility guy. He has crushed AAA pitching and has fewer at bats in the league than Shed Long. He was also a top prospect in one of the best prospect farms in baseball the last 5 years. With 4 years of control there is a lot of upside for a young team looking to build for the near future. Giving up a rental bullpen arm for that is a good move regardless of how badly it hurts Kyle Seager's feelings.
Hurting Kyle Seager feelings doesn’t matter. The fact that Toro isn’t good enough at the moment that they have to pay top market rate to resign Seager now. Had they done a token deal to “go for it” they could’ve signed a friendly deal for Seager.

And yes Toro projects as a utility player, using Shed Long isn’t exactly a great barometer. Where on the infield does he project. 3B is Marte, SS is Crawford, 1B is White. 2B, ok but best for the franchise is either France there or someone better say Merrifield. If Toro plays there and excels then I will massively apologize. But no indication says that is his position let alone he isn’t exactly good offensively. But we are use to that with we have like 6 offensive all stars that have played in Tacoma and have done jack squat for the M’s.

I can get hating this move or being eh whatever. But I can’t understand a single positive to it at first glance. Maybe he will be a modern Edgar but new rule IMO is if you like this deal you cannot say anything negative about Kelenic because he is younger and has had a much better minor league career

Last edited:

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hahaha, good trade!

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welcome to Seattle Mr. Toro!

Loved Tucker’s reaction in RF.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good game for Kelenic. 2 hits, 2 rbi and that webgem

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think you may be undervaluing Toro. I don’t believe he is projected as a utility guy… in fact, I believe he was #3 in the Astros system. I’d say give it some time. It certainly sucks losing Graveman, but with Jerry it’s all about control and Graveman’s due for FA this offseason.

Someone just need to step up and fill the hole he left.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely not a scrub, nor has my diatribe ever meant to be one. Great homer but I just don’t see him in the future as anything more than what idea role is for Moore. I’ve conceded 2022 can be his but Jerry isn’t going to stunt Marte’s call up when he will most likely be the top prospect in baseball and is too big for SS at that point…unless Toro plays 2nd in which Merrifield was always the better option for a list of players that maybe 2 ever start for the M’s.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you may be undervaluing Toro. I don’t believe he is projected as a utility guy… in fact, I believe he was #3 in the Astros system. I’d say give it some time. It certainly sucks losing Graveman, but with Jerry it’s all about control and Graveman’s due for FA this offseason.

Someone just need to step up and fill the hole he left.
It isn’t that Toro is undervalued. It is that his thus far performance isn’t good. If he was on the Mariners I would be stumping for him like I have with Kelenic’s struggles. He just only has one position available for right now and that is 2B and I wanted Merrifield who is under control. I also want Seager to re sign and my ultimate goal in the having the $100 infield with Bryant and the Seagers.

Ive prefaced this with this is my first impression and IMO it doesn’t make them better for a playoff push this year and no matter his prospect he isn’t going to reach Marte’s potential. Which like it or not, Marte is Jerry’s guy so going into a spring training Marte will win the job deserving or not.

Someone does have to step up Graveman but that isn’t easy especially with the 13 or so bullpen games they have left. Lack of starters and taxing the bullpen may get through August but will be another 2016 or 2017 which ever year it was the bullpen was historic but just ran out of gas in September especially since Gilbert is going to have the reigns pulled in on him. With this Graveman move I don’t think he has the balls to bring up Hancock and Kirby. I would semi get it if Haniger to the Astros and giving JRod RF after the olympics but just not your top bullpen arm down a game when they have like 12 with them left.

If they don’t sign Seager and don’t make a strong push for Bryant then I think this whole thing has been bs.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

MarinersBestFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
View attachment 275966
May have made an impulse buy after last nights game

Yea that's a pretty sparse crowd for sure. Considering the previous nites great finish and the exc weather.

Tuesdays are the worse draw nites for Ms games ( always have been - likely always will be )

Hopefully you were not sitting in sec 137 row 37 seat 11 ( yea I know the stadium well )

I hate the view and 'feel' from under the 200 level over hang the last 10-14 rows infield lower box seating.
Yea the price steps down some for that seating ... just feels like you are sitting in a garage with the door open looking out onto the street where the game is being played. ya lose that open air / ballpark feel.

At least you were sitting on the winning side :cheer2: