• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Are the Jets Overhyped?

Are the Jets contenders or pretenders

• Contenders

Votes: 13 32.5%
  • Pretenders

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • They're the Jets, c'mon man

Votes: 19 47.5%

• Total voters

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Down the stretch last year the Bills were pretty good just sorta running the ball and using TEs. And if Josh Allen isnt in spots where he is throwing INTs then the Bills have been one of the most efficient teams in the league.

It really is the difference between a franchise QB and a superstar QB. If you have a superstar QB, you just kinda need reliable players and a defense.

...and prima donna WRs can be a bigger headache then they're ultimately worth

I imagine Diggs was plenty happy with his 2 TDs, but how long before the honeymoon phase wears off if he's continually getting 30-40 yards receiving per game?

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I imagine Diggs was plenty happy with his 2 TDs, but how long before the honeymoon phase wears off if he's continually getting 30-40 yards receiving per game?
Especially given this is a FA year for him and he will want to have numbers because it could be his last big payday.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,955.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There is also just the reality that teams have to get younger and draft well. Teams need quality boom/bust draft prospects like Gregory Rousseau and Keon Coleman to hit. Part of that is team culture. Coaching. Dalton Kincaid. These players fall to good teams for a reason (Kincaid positional value, age) but they're still good enough to build around.

Jets have a lot of age on offense. Dolphins have a lot of age on defense. NFL, for the most part, is a young mans sport.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rodgers apparently did his own research on the Niners defense?

mrschaney

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All signs point to yes.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They were overhyped until Tagovailoa got hurt.
I always thought they could slip by the Dolphins for the WC spot if things went well. I've always been skeptical of the Dolphins ability to beat a team that's actually good. Way more flash than substance, imo.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,955.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always thought they could slip by the Dolphins for the WC spot if things went well. I've always been skeptical of the Dolphins ability to beat a team that's actually good. Way more flash than substance, imo.
I'd agree with that since after two games they're averaging 15 points a game on offense. For a team built like they are, you'd probably want that number in the 27-30 point range imo.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough. The Jets were marginal favourites to win the division ahead of the Dolphins in August. I have to say I didn't understand that line at all. I thought the Jets were 3rd best in the division, and I wasn't convinced the Patriots would be god-awful. I would have taken the Under on the Jets total wins line.

I couldn't believe the Dolphins defense could be so pathetically tackle averse as they were in 2023. After last night it looks like I was wrong.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,532.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd agree with that since after two games they're averaging 15 points a game on offense. For a team built like they are, you'd probably want that number in the 27-30 point range imo.
You can't perform like that with a make-shift O-line.
You have players that are not good, a center that is unreliable, and their mega-contract OT can't ever stay on the field.....

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough. The Jets were marginal favourites to win the division ahead of the Dolphins in August. I have to say I didn't understand that line at all. I thought the Jets were 3rd best in the division, and I wasn't convinced the Patriots would be god-awful. I would have taken the Under on the Jets total wins line.

I couldn't believe the Dolphins defense could be so pathetically tackle averse as they were in 2023. After last night it looks like I was wrong.
I found that whole storyline of how the Bills were somehow going to drop to third place in the division to be a little weird. I never understood how pundits and oddsmakers thought the Dolphins were somehow that much better or how a 40 year old coming off an achilles tear was this magical potion for a SB favorite. Do I think the Jets have a decent roster and a chance to be in the play-offs? Certainly, and I think looking at Monday in San Fran doesn't change that but they never looked like some lock to all of a sudden be great to me. And certainly not a threat to the real contenders in the conf. I do think the Jets are going to have to overcome some bad coaching to make any real noise though. And Rodgers is going to have to be a lot more than just okay which I'm not sure he can be at this stage. Maybe he can and they get healthy and he finds some other weapons but there are definitely question marks still.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,955.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can't perform like that with a make-shift O-line.
You have players that are not good, a center that is unreliable, and their mega-contract OT can't ever stay on the field.....
I also think the passing game wasn't in sync against the Bills. The O in general just isnt as good as you'd want to see out of a team with Hill and Waddle.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One day age will catch up to Rodgers and I will be wrong about his impending collapse, but I am not going to overreact to a single bad game from him. I think Jets are still legit.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
with the collapse of Miami imminent,

and the patriots streak over,

i dont see the Jets not making the playoffs... and if they make the playoffs can they be called overhyped??

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
with the collapse of Miami imminent,

and the patriots streak over,

i dont see the Jets not making the playoffs... and if they make the playoffs can they be called overhyped??
I guess the answer to that question is it depends on where people were landing on the "hype ladder". I've seen some predictions of them winning the division easily with 12-13 wins and getting to the AFCCG which I think could be a little over hype. I think they are a solid bet to be in contention for a WC spot with 10-11 wins. And who knows, maybe that is enough to win this division. I also think Rodgers mentioning SB in pre-season doesn't help the perception. I did continually read about how they won x number of games last year despite the horrible QB play so all Rodgers has to do is be an upgrade to average. I think that may be a gross over-simplification of how football works. Who you play, when you play them and a lot of other circumstances effect the outcomes. I'm not gonna read too much into last Monday. Going across the country to face the Niners is a tough opener for anybody. I thought the Jets D would perform a little better and maybe keep it closer but week 1 doesn't tell us much usually.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,955.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought the Jets D would perform a little better and maybe keep it closer but week 1 doesn't tell us much usually.
Jets D is the major variable. A lot of the hype around the team is based on Rodgers having a top 5 D. Niners certainly weren't phased by that D.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jets D is the major variable. A lot of the hype around the team is based on Rodgers having a top 5 D. Niners certainly weren't phased by that D.
I agree. The Niners ran the ball down their throat but that may well be more about Shanahan than the Jets. People are talking about the pass rush but everybody knows when the run game is going like that, it effects the get-off on the pass rush. They get to face a couple of subpar QBs and Olines so we will see how they bounce back. The Pats run game in week 3 may give us a better idea on how good the Jets front really is. Stevenson is a load.
I do think that even counting on that D to be really good, Rodgers will still have to be a top 10ish QB and the offense will need to be less predictable for them to be taken seriously as a real threat. They also need Williams to get and stay healthy. Wilson by himself with the odd throw to Lazard will get pretty easy to defend.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,955.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. The Niners ran the ball down their throat but that may well be more about Shanahan than the Jets. People are talking about the pass rush but everybody knows when the run game is going like that, it effects the get-off on the pass rush. They get to face a couple of subpar QBs and Olines so we will see how they bounce back. The Pats run game in week 3 may give us a better idea on how good the Jets front really is. Stevenson is a load.
I do think that even counting on that D to be really good, Rodgers will still have to be a top 10ish QB and the offense will need to be less predictable for them to be taken seriously as a real threat. They also need Williams to get and stay healthy. Wilson by himself with the odd throw to Lazard will get pretty easy to defend.
Niners are kinda something else. You're in the same division so I'd imagine the Seahawks build their team to at least deal with it but I know their first playoff run they blew out their NFC opponents and really looked like they were going to beat the Chiefs after 3 quarters. But the Jets coach was on the Niners and had weeks to prep. Its not a great look.

That said, I don't think making a wild card in the AFC is going to be that brutal. Jets have to sort of pace themselves and they should be fine.