• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Are the Browns assisting Watson to

Are the Browns assisting Watson to avoid financial punishment in the event he gets suspended in 2022

• Total voters

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They fine players in accordance with Article 46 paragraph (e) on page 277 of the CBA. Some historical data:
Number of NFL players fined $1M+ for any single offense: 0
Number of players fined more than their paragraph 5 salary: 0

Additionally:
"Section 6. Fine Money:
(a) Fines will be deducted at the rate of no more than $3,500 from each pay period, if sufficient pay periods remain; or, if less than sufficient pay periods remain, the fine will be deducted in equal installments over the number of remaining pay periods. For the 2026–2030 League Years, the amount will increase from a rate of $3,500 to $4,500 from each pay period".

Watson wouldn't be in the NFL long enough to ever pay a multi-million dollar fine.
That article deals with on the field fines
The NFL can fine players on rookie contracts 40,000 per day for holding out. Off the field issues can bring what ever fine the NFL wants, the CBA doesn't limit the NFL in that regard, it only addresses on the field fines.

Watson wouldn't be in the NFL long enough to ever pay a multi-million dollar fine
He just signed a 230 million fully guaranteed contract so ...yeah...he can pay a multi-million fine. The fact that Watson engineered his contract to avoid losing money for discipline imposed by the NFL is like waving a red flag at a bull for the NFL. They will find a way to correct that, be it a fine or be it extending the minimum one year part the NFL is seeking to cover a good portion of the 2023 season also, minimum does not =maxiumum. The NFL is not going to let Watson play them like he's attempting to do.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and yet the impartial former judge chose 6 games.
And the NFL disagreed.

But again, per precedent, 1 case is 6 games, a 2nd case is 10, 3rd is indefinite, 4 is usally bye bye.

So one year us actually a light punishment.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the NFL disagreed.

But again, per precedent, 1 case is 6 games, a 2nd case is 10, 3rd is indefinite, 4 is usally bye bye.

I think the NFL goes with an indefinite suspension with a minimum of a year, treatment ( which would need to green light Watson fitness to return to the NFL) and no further cases, maybe a fine ( likely just a token fine) and Watson will end up missing 2022 and a good portion of 2023 ( if not the entire season). Feel that is the easiest course for the NFL to get the desired punishment for Watson. Think the majority of the public would applaud that course and be a positive PR move for the NFL.

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the NFL goes with an indefinite suspension with a minimum of a year, treatment ( which would need to green light Watson fitness to return to the NFL) and no further cases, maybe a fine ( likely just a token fine) and Watson will end up missing 2022 and a good portion of 2023 ( if not the entire season). Feel that is the easiest course for the NFL to get the desired punishment for Watson. Think the majority of the public would applaud that course and be a positive PR move for the NFL.
If the NFL does get something like that, what happens to the absurd contract the Browns gave Watson? Honest question, I have no idea. Could the Browns void the contract? It seems ridiculous they could be held to pay him money for doing nothing but bring shame to the team. If Watson is suspended for 1 year he will be useless when and if he returns. Not playing for 2+ years and he is supposed to jump on the field and compete with the best? LOL!

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the NFL does get something like that, what happens to the absurd contract the Browns gave Watson? Honest question, I have no idea. Could the Browns void the contract? It seems ridiculous they could be held to pay him money for doing nothing but bring shame to the team. If Watson is suspended for 1 year he will be useless when and if he returns. Not playing for 2+ years and he is supposed to jump on the field and compete with the best? LOL!
I don't think they can void the GUARANTEED portion.

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think they can void the GUARANTEED portion.
What a huge risk for the Browns. Big leap of faith with that contract. Mind boggling.

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The words desperate and foolish come to mind.
I know I am in a minority in thinking that they did not need some superman QB to get them over the hump. They needed a bit more consistency in the position is all, a system QB if you fancy that term. Just my opinion. Hope they work it out with whoever is the QB and have a good season.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And to think less than a year ago Cleveland fans here were really drinking the Baker koolaid.

I tell ya it’s comedy dammit!!

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On Tuesday, Goodell told reporters that the league is seeking a season-long suspension because the quarterback's actions were "egregious" and "predatory behavior,"

This all happened From March 2020 - March 2021??

In Watsons defense he was locked up in his house and had to wear a mask. The kid has never been in trouble and obviously went on a serious ass and tittles binge. Can he blame some of this on Fauci and just take 8 games?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the NFL disagreed.

According to the former judge closest precedent was 3 games. She made it 6 because there was more than 1 case.

I still prefer a year over 10-12 games though.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Browns might prefer he get a year as opposed to 10-12 games since it just pushes his contract back a year, meaning the $1 mil he is set to be paid this year will be his base next year and he still has 4 years after that one.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a huge risk for the Browns. Big leap of faith with that contract. Mind boggling.
For sure it's a huge risk and could backfire. also might not as they wanted watson for half a decade of his prime and not just one season.

while it's true he might get longer and never be the same player it's also true he might be the player he had been for half a decade or longer and the Browns get to a SB and even win it.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree with the Judge. There is no precedent here.
That's cool you disagree with someone who had no agenda, had/heard all the evidence and makes decisions like this for a living.

No need to tell me Goodell can still make it a year or longer as I'm well aware he is allowed to rule based on his own bias or even fan emotion.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For sure it's a huge risk and could backfire. also might not as they wanted watson for half a decade of his prime and not just one season.

while it's true he might get longer and never be the same player it's also true he might be the player he had been for half a decade or longer and the Browns get to a SB and even win it.
tenor (1).gif