• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Andrew Luck signed thru 2021

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again that offer came after the $18 million offer from the Texans not before. They had held steady at $12 million up to that point which is a very low end starter value with only 2-years on the offer showing they wanted him to prove more before giving him the big offer. With the $16 million offer coming after the Texans and knowing that Brock wanted to go elsewhere why even make the offer if you know he is gone unless it is just to appease the fans that you tried to keep the guy? I mean he and his agent as we later found out had been planning since December that Osweiler would go elsewhere. You really think the Broncos didn't know this? I have not denied once that I think the Broncos liked Osweiler and wouldn't minded having kept him but the problem was they wanted a more cap friendly prove it deal with the idea that he would get his big offer later down the road.
Seems like your counterdicking yourself. On one hand you say they knew what Houston would offer, on the other hand your saying they reacted on their offer by upping what they wanted to pay for him. In other words the Texans offer was more then they expected and forced them to up their offer.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really in today's NFL though does that matter? I mean twice now Flacco has gotten the highest paid QB contract in the NFL yet I doubt anybody would think of him being top-8 in the league right now.
he had those 3-4 games though

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like your counterdicking yourself. On one hand you say they knew what Houston would offer, on the other hand your saying they reacted on their offer by upping what they wanted to pay for him. In other words the Texans offer was more then they expected and forced them to up their offer.

No what I am saying is the Broncos knew Osweiler was gone. He told his agent back in December he wanted out of Denver. I doubt they didn't know this to be the case. So the final offer they made was with knowing Osweiler wouldn't take it. Some things that are done are more for the publicity than actually meaning it. Such as the Broncos had to know Von Miller wouldn't take the deal they offered recently as the guaranteed money was not enough but they released some of the details such as it being the highest contract offered to a defensive player. This gets media and fans on the team's side of things even if it won't be accepted. Same with Osweiler of showing the fans they are working on getting the QB situation figured out but knowing they would not pay Osweiler the type of money that other teams would offer.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Throw in if the Broncos really really wanted Osweiler they would have gotten a deal done before the legal tampering period happened. The lowballed him early and held that line. They would have bumped up the deal much earlier if they were wanting him that much. Again I think they liked Osweiler but were nowhere near in love with his game.

skinzfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Luck has been a good QB, now he's being paid as though he's a great QB. His play has seemed to level off.....that's a lot of money, IMO he's no Rodgers or Brady

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Luck has been a good QB, now he's being paid as though he's a great QB. His play has seemed to level off.....that's a lot of money, IMO he's no Rodgers or Brady

Well you do hope when you pay a player that you are paying for his play going forward not what he has done so far. Luck has always been the high upside player so you are hoping he has finally had something click. He has shown enough promise to think he maybe just maybe makes that leap. I still wouldn't have paid him quite that much especially after the season he just had but hard not to see this coming.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huge gamble, but they really didn't have a choice. Perhaps could of taken a better stance on what they wanted to offer Luck, rather then just saying your going to make him rich.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again that offer came after the $18 million offer from the Texans not before.

I mean he and his agent as we later found out had been planning since December that Osweiler would go elsewhere.

That is wrong about why they went quiet from what everyone reported. They (including his agent even) said that was how they wanted to push for a better deal.

And odd that not one reputable source said the offer wasn't a real attempt at Denver to sign Brock. Not one.

Yup, the only free agent on his way out with a better deal that Elway did something like that for. 16 mil offer right there on the table.

It's a fun idea that it was a fake offer, but not realistic.

Didn't do that for Julius, Decker or any other fan favorites when the Bronco's weren't coming off a really positive feeling about their team. Brock after the fans are high off the SB is when they chose that idea.

Imagine, if like you said the offer was solely a joke. Something that would knowingly ruin the team in their cap situation but just out there to appease fans and they felt pretty sure Brock would say no.

Imagine if they misjudged Brocks intentions and he took it? Imagine if at the last minute Houston worked a trade for Goff or Wentz and Brock took the offer the Bronco's gave him? Or if Hou worked out a deal for Kaep or got interest from Vernon and went with RGIII or someone at the last minute, or McNair stepped in and veto'd it.

I don't see that being realistic. Nobody would care, everyone in Denver would side on the worst possible Brock stories there were. Denver's coming off a SB win, not like they are a 4 win team holding out hope here. I can't see the risks coming anywhere close to the rewards when I try and think of it logically.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is wrong about why they went quiet from what everyone reported. They (including his agent even) said that was how they wanted to push for a better deal.

And odd that not one reputable source said the offer wasn't a real attempt at Denver to sign Brock. Not one.

Yup, the only free agent on his way out with a better deal that Elway did something like that for. 16 mil offer right there on the table.

It's a fun idea that it was a fake offer, but not realistic.

Didn't do that for Julius, Decker or any other fan favorites when the Bronco's weren't coming off a really positive feeling about their team. Brock after the fans are high off the SB is when they chose that idea.

Imagine, if like you said the offer was solely a joke. Something that would knowingly ruin the team in their cap situation but just out there to appease fans and they felt pretty sure Brock would say no.

Imagine if they misjudged Brocks intentions and he took it? Imagine if at the last minute Houston worked a trade for Goff or Wentz and Brock took the offer the Bronco's gave him? Or if Hou worked out a deal for Kaep or got interest from Vernon and went with RGIII or someone at the last minute, or McNair stepped in and veto'd it.

I don't see that being realistic. Nobody would care, everyone in Denver would side on the worst possible Brock stories there were. Denver's coming off a SB win, not like they are a 4 win team holding out hope here. I can't see the risks coming anywhere close to the rewards when I try and think of it logically.

Why is it not realistic? the Broncos just did this with Von Miller's contract. Plus again like I said Brock made it clear back in December that he wanted out of Denver. It to me is unrealistic to think the Broncos didn't know he wanted out of town. He didn't exactly hide his anger about being benched very well.

TP76

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Luck is a very good QB, many underestimate his capabilities because the Colts are a poorly run organization.

Unfortunately for Luck - the rest of his team will likely be scrubs-ville when the cap hit starts to really bite.

North of Patagonia / South of Iguazu Falls
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess it depends what your options are. Does a $4 million QB that plays not quite as well but does ok really hurt the team compared to a $16-20 million mediocre QB that gives you a bit more. I mean to me that extra say $12-16 million is an elite level player or at least 2 very good to great players that you can add to your roster.

I would consider Brady, P. Manning (except last SB), BigBen, Rodgers, Brees and Wilson elite QBs.. they have won 9 of last 13 Super Bowls.

Odds are that better if you have the elite QB.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't remember a player being more hyped than Andrew Luck ... Now that hype just made him the highest paid player in the NFL ... He didn't earn that... He was awful in 2015 ... I don't think the guy sucks or anything, but he get's way too much credit ...

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agreed, Luck is not elite... He's a 2nd tier guy, probably a 3rd or 4th tiered guy last year...

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately for Luck - the rest of his team will likely be scrubs-ville when the cap hit starts to really bite.
Yes, that is a recurring situation with the Colts. To fill Peyton's shoes is a tall order. However, he was put in a hard situation when the Colts tanked to get him, then they did nothing but expect him to win by some sort of miracle. They did not build a team around him, which is what any intelligent owner/GM/HC would have done. Luck plays with a lot of heart. Potential to be a great QB, IMHO, just in a bad place at the wrong time.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would consider Brady, P. Manning (except last SB), BigBen, Rodgers, Brees and Wilson elite QBs.. they have won 9 of last 13 Super Bowls.

Odds are that better if you have the elite QB.

Exactly. The problem is too many of these teams are investing huge money into mediocre QB's causing the franchise to be stuck in mediocrity. To me if you don't have an elite QB then you need to find another way to be elite like for the Broncos building up an elite defense or work to build up the best run game you possibly can. Doesn't mean it will work but we know for sure that continuing to pay high dollar for an average to even above average QB in this league doesn't work either. Now maybe just maybe you get hot at the right time but that is pretty rare.