• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Andrew Luck signed thru 2021

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Little more detail here

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get that. I don't blame teams for overpaying at the QB position but to me when it is about winning Super Bowls and overpaying for a mediocre QB usually doesn't equal Super Bowl victories in this league is it really worth it to just keep staying in that spot for years upon years? I mean making the playoffs say once every three years with an expensive mediocre QB and getting bounced in the first 2 rounds of the playoffs when you do make it just doesn't make much sense to me. I would rather my team take the risk and shoot for something great.

I agree with you about over paying for a mediocre QB, unless....your team is built to win right now. Like the Jets for example, going to be wasting a lot talent that is still performing, but likely not for long.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you about over paying for a mediocre QB, unless....your team is built to win right now. Like the Jets for example, going to be wasting a lot talent that is still performing, but likely not for long.
Except in that analogy Fitzpatrick isn't a mediocre QB- he's outright bad. Ditto with Geno most likely.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I guess it depends what your options are. Does a $4 million QB that plays not quite as well but does ok really hurt the team compared to a $16-20 million mediocre QB that gives you a bit more. I mean to me that extra say $12-16 million is an elite level player or at least 2 very good to great players that you can add to your roster.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess it depends what your options are. Does a $4 million QB that plays not quite as well but does ok really hurt the team compared to a $16-20 million mediocre QB that gives you a bit more. I mean to me that extra say $12-16 million is an elite level player or at least 2 very good to great players that you can add to your roster.

Geno Smith is a bust. Jets didn't have to sign Fitz, there were other options earlier if they thought Fitz sucked. Instead they are trying to force him to sign a cheap 3 year deal.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Geno Smith is a bust. Jets didn't have to sign Fitz, there were other options earlier if they thought Fitz sucked. Instead they are trying to force him to sign a cheap 3 year deal.

To me I see the Jets realizing that Fitzpatrick while having a pretty good season just isn't as good as his numbers suggested last year. He has been a below average QB almost his entire career so most likely he goes back towards the norm than he does of continuing to produce at a decent level. When you throw in his age yeah I don't blame them for wanting to lowball him when they don't see him as the future.

Honestly I think more teams should operate in this manner. If you don't think the QB is even an average performer well then why pay him big money? All it does is continue to keep you middle of the pack draft pick wise and hurt you cap wise to actually build up the roster around the QB. It is why I would rather risk it with trying to find a rookie QB that maybe works out or going ahead with a lower level QB that doesn't cost much while you can still devote money to the team around them. Heck we saw Christian Ponder make the playoffs because the team could devote money and resources to the rest of the team.

Balljim55

Abnormally Average
Hoopla Cash
$ 35,250.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3
irsay was negotiating against his own ego

Malibu

PEACE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe that Luck has the talent to earn that contract but like others have mentioned there isn't much around him. A few good wide receivers and a bad o line last year. Plus a defense that doesn't scare anyone. I also think everyone in that division got much better when it comes to talent on there teams. Peace.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me I see the Jets realizing that Fitzpatrick while having a pretty good season just isn't as good as his numbers suggested last year. He has been a below average QB almost his entire career so most likely he goes back towards the norm than he does of continuing to produce at a decent level. When you throw in his age yeah I don't blame them for wanting to lowball him when they don't see him as the future.

Honestly I think more teams should operate in this manner. If you don't think the QB is even an average performer well then why pay him big money? All it does is continue to keep you middle of the pack draft pick wise and hurt you cap wise to actually build up the roster around the QB. It is why I would rather risk it with trying to find a rookie QB that maybe works out or going ahead with a lower level QB that doesn't cost much while you can still devote money to the team around them. Heck we saw Christian Ponder make the playoffs because the team could devote money and resources to the rest of the team.

Jets have a lot of talent right now, but it's aging.

Marshall 32
Forte 30
Decker 29
Mangold 32
Clady 29
Giacomoni 30

Soon they'll will be in a full rebuild mode. Fitz was willing to do a one year deal for 15 million, but no...the Jets want to pay him 15 for the following season, but insist that he sign for 3 years in order to make it happen. Doesn't make sense to me.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fitz is mediocre and that is better then another option they have. Obviously opinions will vary on the subject.
I don't think the evidence statistically points to anything of that nature. Poor arm, poor accuracy, poor decisionmaking, and inevitably the turnovers that come with them all show up despite some fortunate bounces. I'd go so far as to say he's not significantly better than Geno Smith.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the evidence statistically points to anything of that nature. Poor arm, poor accuracy, poor decisionmaking, and inevitably the turnovers that come with them all show up despite some fortunate bounces. I'd go so far as to say he's not significantly better than Geno Smith.
Jets want to sign him for 3 years, so they must disagree with you.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At levels not far exceeding Chase Daniel? And still no signing? If anything they're closer to my point of view. Broncos and others turned down Fitz too.
They were willing to pay him 12 million in 2016 in a three year deal....right?

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get that. I don't blame teams for overpaying at the QB position but to me when it is about winning Super Bowls and overpaying for a mediocre QB usually doesn't equal Super Bowl victories in this league is it really worth it to just keep staying in that spot for years upon years? I mean making the playoffs say once every three years with an expensive mediocre QB and getting bounced in the first 2 rounds of the playoffs when you do make it just doesn't make much sense to me. I would rather my team take the risk and shoot for something great.

That risk and shoot for something great is what teams are doing Osweiler is an example of that. McCown/Hoyer/Sanchez is that mediocre guy without the realistic chance of becoming a great QB. And those guys get 3-6 mil a year.

Tannehill and Dalton are in a similar boat, the hoping on them becoming great.

I guess I see the point of why keep holding onto them on these deals and not reboot. But what usually happens to the coaches/GM's when you do that. Sure you get a top 5 pick soon and get your elite prospect... but it's another front office/staff working with him.

When I look at those big contracts, the ones I question are:

Bradford - but 1 year deal before he's cap friendly to release, not really a worry.

Cutler- Got sold on the elite arm.

Stafford... Got the extension after 2011. Where he led the Lions to their first 10 win season in forever and had that 5000 yard 41 TD year.

Alex Smith - maybeish.. Some liked him, some didn't. He's been good in the post-season. EJ Manuel was the top prospect the year they spent on him, and the FA crop was Campbell, Hoyer, Tarvaris etc... Deal gave them an out after year 1. Seemed like a good fit for Andy.

Kaep - Paid a QB with some great physical skills and a really hot run a series of 1 year deals. Again the upside deal.

Tannehill. Another deal you can get out of after 1 year (this current year is first year of his extension). And really 3 straight years of improvement and finished 2014 strong. No real problem with that one at the time.

Just looking at your QB's you are investing more than 1 year on, you have Rodgers, Flacco, Ryan, Newton, Romo, Brees, Cutler, Rivers, Brock, Eli, Ben, Stafford, Wilson and Brady.

Brock was the only one to hit FA on that list and get an open market. Cutler is really the only one I'd consider not worth doing at the time personally but that arm sells people.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jets have a lot of talent right now, but it's aging.

Marshall 32
Forte 30
Decker 29
Mangold 32
Clady 29
Giacomoni 30

Soon they'll will be in a full rebuild mode. Fitz was willing to do a one year deal for 15 million, but no...the Jets want to pay him 15 for the following season, but insist that he sign for 3 years in order to make it happen. Doesn't make sense to me.

To make that contract work though we are talking some major cuts or major revising of some of the contracts meaning further cap issues down the road all to sign a below average QB for most of his career. Is that really worth it?

Again to me this is the Jets showing just how valuable they think Fitzpatrick really is and that is more as a very low starter/high back up in this league. One good season doesn't eliminate all the terrible seasons he has had in this league. I am more on the side of I would rather not pay even mediocre QB money ($15 million) for one season for a guy even with a good team that is a below average starter. I just think you can find decent production for much cheaper and be able to surround that player with more talent making their job easier. I understand the whole they have some aging veterans but still not worth it to overpay for mediocre at best players.