• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Andrew Luck signed thru 2021

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Fitz is a good example of that QB with no real future as an elite QB to think of. And look at the trouble he's having getting a big deal. Osweiler a lot less experience, could argue a lesser 2015 season, but there's the hope of him not being that middle of the pack guy, so he gets the money.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
12M is chump change for QB's. I stand by my statement.
Bet if Geno was a FA he wouldn't be offered anything close to that. Daniel is only making what...7 mil? Yes 12 mil is cheap, but Fitz isn't that good, mediocre like I said and old.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That risk and shoot for something great is what teams are doing Osweiler is an example of that. McCown/Hoyer/Sanchez is that mediocre guy without the realistic chance of becoming a great QB. And those guys get 3-6 mil a year.

Tannehill and Dalton are in a similar boat, the hoping on them becoming great.

I guess I see the point of why keep holding onto them on these deals and not reboot. But what usually happens to the coaches/GM's when you do that. Sure you get a top 5 pick soon and get your elite prospect... but it's another front office/staff working with him.

When I look at those big contracts, the ones I question are:

Bradford - but 1 year deal before he's cap friendly to release, not really a worry.

Cutler- Got sold on the elite arm.

Stafford... Got the extension after 2011. Where he led the Lions to their first 10 win season in forever and had that 5000 yard 41 TD year.

Alex Smith - maybeish.. Some liked him, some didn't. He's been good in the post-season. EJ Manuel was the top prospect the year they spent on him, and the FA crop was Campbell, Hoyer, Tarvaris etc... Deal gave them an out after year 1. Seemed like a good fit for Andy.

Kaep - Paid a QB with some great physical skills and a really hot run a series of 1 year deals. Again the upside deal.

Tannehill. Another deal you can get out of after 1 year (this current year is first year of his extension). And really 3 straight years of improvement and finished 2014 strong. No real problem with that one at the time.

Just looking at your QB's you are investing more than 1 year on, you have Rodgers, Flacco, Ryan, Newton, Romo, Brees, Cutler, Rivers, Brock, Eli, Ben, Stafford, Wilson and Brady.

Brock was the only one to hit FA on that list and get an open market. Cutler is really the only one I'd consider not worth doing at the time personally but that arm sells people.

You and I obviously have disagreed on Osweiler. I think he is an average at best starter in this league moving forward and you think he was worth the investment because the Texans had the money available. To me just because you have the money available doesn't mean you just go spend it on mediocre talent. I get that they haven't had a great QB situation in quite some time. That doesn't mean panic and go sign a mediocre player to a ridiculous deal though. That is how you continue to stay a mediocre team. I would rather have spent that money bolstering the rest of my roster. Such as maybe try to bring in an Olivier Vernon to really add another dynamic to that defense. I mean that move alone could make them maybe the top front-7 in the entire NFL and make life much easier for Clowney and Watt. I would hate to face that unit ever. Or maybe you bolster the OL to make life much easier for whatever QB you do decide to go with.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bet if Geno was a FA he wouldn't be offered anything close to that. Daniel is only making what...7 mil? Yes 12 mil is cheap, but Fitz isn't that good, mediocre like I said and old.
Hence my position- come down to 7 mil or Fitzpatrick can ride off to retirement. I firmly don't believe he's anything beyond the Mark Sanchez tier of QB- though the Jets would never do that again.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hence my position- come down to 7 mil or Fitzpatrick can ride off to retirement. I firmly don't believe he's anything beyond the Mark Sanchez tier of QB- though the Jets would never do that again.
??? Thought we all ready established he can make 12 mil in 2016, if he wants to sign that 3 year deal.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
??? Thought we all ready established he can make 12 mil in 2016, if he wants to sign that 3 year deal.
Then he can do it somewhere else- not with the Jets if I am running thing. In a vacuum he probably could, this late into the offseason? Not really.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then he can do it somewhere else- not with the Jets if I am running thing. In a vacuum he probably could, this late into the offseason? Not really.

:lol: Your not running anything. Tell you what, it won't surprise me to see Fitz have a better year then Smith next year.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:lol: Your not running anything. Tell you what, it won't surprise me to see Fitz have a better year then Smith next year.
That'd be a new one- since it hasn't happened since 2011 started. One is an INT machine, the other hardly throws any. I tolerate one, I will not the other.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That'd be a new one- since it hasn't happened since 2011 started. One is an INT machine, the other hardly throws any. I tolerate one, I will not the other.

True Fitz has played for some really crappy teams prior to the Jets. Smith has been fortunate to play for a decent team most of his career.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True Fitz has played for some really crappy teams prior to the Jets. Smith has been fortunate to play for a decent team most of his career.
Since 2011? Sure, you can maybe nitpick the 2013 Chiefs defense as being a bit bereft of depth (and it showed) but prior to 2011, those 49er teams were generally awful both roster and coaching wise. Not sure where his wildly talented supporting cast is on offense for the most part, however.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is exactly my thoughts on Fitzpatrick. One good season doesn't eliminate all the terrible years he has had. I would just much rather pay that lower tier QB low money and use the rest of the money to actually have a great player on the roster. Heck I would have much rather seen the Jets sign Chase Daniel as at least he has some decent upside and is still cheap.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is exactly my thoughts on Fitzpatrick. One good season doesn't eliminate all the terrible years he has had. I would just much rather pay that lower tier QB low money and use the rest of the money to actually have a great player on the roster. Heck I would have much rather seen the Jets sign Chase Daniel as at least he has some decent upside and is still cheap.
Seems to me the Jets played chicken with the juggling act surrounding the QB position and Wilkerson and lost. Definitely think they'd be better off with Daniel.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since 2011? Sure, you can maybe nitpick the 2013 Chiefs defense as being a bit bereft of depth (and it showed) but prior to 2011, those 49er teams were generally awful both roster and coaching wise. Not sure where his wildly talented supporting cast is on offense for the most part, however.
True and Smith play reflected it. It looked like he was done until Harbaugh came along, put together a good team and saved Smiths career.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems to me the Jets played chicken with the juggling act surrounding the QB position and Wilkerson and lost. Definitely think they'd be better off with Daniel.

Yup they took a calculated risk knowing their cap situation and to me really showing they don't believe in Fitzpatrick to be a quality starter. I do think they like him enough as the players have shown great respect. Beyond that though I honestly applaud them for holding their ground I like you though think they missed out on a good window with guys like Chase Daniel or even say Kaepernick since his cap hit after the money paid by the 49ers isn't terrible and I would say he has more upside than Fitzpatrick to have a good year.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True and Smith play reflected it. It looked like he was done until Harbaugh came along, put together a good team and saved Smiths career.
I don't deny Smith was a pretty bad QB prior to 2011, he has since then been among the least TO prone QB's in the NFL, which moreorless automatically puts him above some of the schlegs at the QB position by default. The Chiefs offense has been above average or better each year Alex has been here despite some deeply questionable talent at OL and WR in his tenure here. I have him pegged as pretty average, personally. I tolerate his quirks, I don't tolerate outright impotence such as with Fitzpatrick.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Smith has grown like you would hope that a player would. That is the difference between him and Fitzpatrick is that Smith has shown year in and year out for a while now that he is a decent starter in this league. Fitzpatrick for the most part of his career has been around an 80-84 QB Rating type QB which is bottom-10 in the league right now.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smith has grown like you would hope that a player would. That is the difference between him and Fitzpatrick is that Smith has shown year in and year out for a while now that he is a decent starter in this league. Fitzpatrick for the most part of his career has been around an 80-84 QB Rating type QB which is bottom-10 in the league right now.
I contend if Fitz had landed on a good team earlier in his career and stayed there, he could also of had a much better career. Being on a good team, with a good coach makes a world of difference and so does being in the same system for a few years.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I contend if Fitz had landed on a good team earlier in his career and stayed there, he could also of had a much better career. Being on a good team, with a good coach makes a world of difference and so does being in the same system for a few years.

Good point. Still with Fitzpatrick I have seen him way too often in the biggest games really shrink and throw some terrible interceptions. Maybe better coaching helps eliminate some of that especially early on his career but I still don't see the clutch factor showing up in his game. You either have it or don't. Again to me if you are to compete for Super Bowls you need a QB that can show up in the biggest moments. Fitzpatrick is no where near that in my mind.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good point. Still with Fitzpatrick I have seen him way too often in the biggest games really shrink and throw some terrible interceptions. Maybe better coaching helps eliminate some of that especially early on his career but I still don't see the clutch factor showing up in his game. You either have it or don't. Again to me if you are to compete for Super Bowls you need a QB that can show up in the biggest moments. Fitzpatrick is no where near that in my mind.

I agree Fitz would never have been great, but he could of been much better then he's shown over the years. Very unfortunate career for Fitz.