• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Andrew Luck signed thru 2021

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would consider Brady, P. Manning (except last SB), BigBen, Rodgers, Brees and Wilson elite QBs.. they have won 9 of last 13 Super Bowls.

Odds are that better if you have the elite QB.
Don't know about elite, but all of those teams gave more weapons, in different ways, to their QBs than the Colts have done with Luck so far.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like your counterdicking yourself. On one hand you say they knew what Houston would offer, on the other hand your saying they reacted on their offer by upping what they wanted to pay for him. In other words the Texans offer was more then they expected and forced them to up their offer.

Counterdicking?

Geez Harold, this is a family site!

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't remember a player being more hyped than Andrew Luck ... Now that hype just made him the highest paid player in the NFL ... He didn't earn that... He was awful in 2015 ... I don't think the guy sucks or anything, but he get's way too much credit ...
He also gets too much criticism. His contract per year may sound high, but hell, it's not that much for 3 years, 75 million? Texans paid 60+ for Oz? LOL. Luck is a much better QB IMO, but then I am wrong most of the time, so there is that...

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you're going to compare Cousins to Luck?
At this point, the people that have nothing better to do are comparing Luck to a 3rd-4th tier QB. Not fair IMO. That's why they call it the SportsHoopla. Hoop, hoop, hurray ...

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW, serious question: What were the Colts supposed to do after they got spanked in the woodshed, tanked, and selected the young and promising Andrew? Not show him the money? LOL. Many worse players players have seen the money, give the dude a break.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't know about elite, but all of those teams gave more weapons, in different ways, to their QBs than the Colts have done with Luck so far.

I kinda disagree with this.

The Colts have done a LOT to provide weapons for Luck. Allen, Hilton, Fleener, and Dorsett. All skill position players taken in the 1st or 2nd round.

Now maybe Grigson sucks as a GM, which I tend to agree with. But ultimately, a great QB does not need star talent to succeed. Tom Brady certainly hasn't. Drew Brees certainly hasn't. Aaron Rodgers certainly hasn't.

Sooner or later, you expect your QB to raise the level of play of his offense. Luck is entering his 5th year which is when metal meets the road, IMO.

I think he is a great talent but he hasn't shown the ability to play in the clutch yet, IMO. Or how to manage games.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Colts have done a LOT to provide weapons for Luck. Allen, Hilton, Fleener, and Dorsett. All skill position players taken in the 1st or 2nd round.

Now maybe Grigson sucks as a GM, which I tend to agree with. But ultimately, a great QB does not need star talent to succeed. Tom Brady certainly hasn't. Drew Brees certainly hasn't. Aaron Rodgers certainly hasn't.

Sooner or later, you expect your QB to raise the level of play of his offense. Luck is entering his 5th year which is when metal meets the road, IMO.

I think he is a great talent but he hasn't shown the ability to play in the clutch yet, IMO. Or how to manage games.

I think what we have seen is the Colts continue to make the same mistakes over and over again in they invest heavy in the skill positions but expect the QB to make up for the OL short comings. On top of that then they have designed an offense that doesn't work great without a great OL in having Luck do a bunch of 7-step drops. I saw the same thing happen in San Diego with Philip Rivers in the offense worked fine when they had a great OL and he could stand in the pocket a bit longer but when the OL falls apart so does the offense. The Colts need to design a system to help cover up some of that weakness and let the playmakers actually be playmakers. To me this is why really an offense should design from the inside out of working to build up a great OL/QB combo and go from there.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I'm willing to wipe the slate clean for Luck fans, will Luck fans at least admit that this compels him to rise above or forever wear the over-hyped badge? No fucking offensive line excuses. No bullshit. I want to see him put the team on his back and earn this cash.

....or STFU about how great the kid is.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you're going to compare Cousins to Luck?

Obviously - assuming a contract extension happens after the upcoming season - Cousins' fate will depend on his play next season. Beyond that - no he is not Luck, but I think the pt is that any halfway decent QB now commands big money & nobody should be shocked at the next contract extension for a vet QB. The amounts are still peanuts compared to MLB and NBA contracts.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously - assuming a contract extension happens after the upcoming season - Cousins' fate will depend on his play next season. Beyond that - no he is not Luck, but I think the pt is that any halfway decent QB now commands big money & nobody should be shocked at the next contract extension for a vet QB. The amounts are still peanuts compared to MLB and NBA contracts.

Just the way it goes in the NFL of always beating the last contract. They are talking the Cap might jump clear up to $175 million this next year so while a $22-23 million contract sounds like a lot now that percentage goes down of the cap hit that is next year. So next year a $22 million contract is probably more in line with a $19.3 million contract from this year if it does indeed jump that much. Still a lot but not as crazy as it sounds.

Heck look at JJ Watt's contract. A couple of years ago when he signed it everybody was talking about how record breaking that deal was and now how cap friendly it is to the team. My guess is if Watt hit the market this year he would be able to demand at least $21 million a year in today's market.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think what we have seen is the Colts continue to make the same mistakes over and over again in they invest heavy in the skill positions but expect the QB to make up for the OL short comings. On top of that then they have designed an offense that doesn't work great without a great OL in having Luck do a bunch of 7-step drops. I saw the same thing happen in San Diego with Philip Rivers in the offense worked fine when they had a great OL and he could stand in the pocket a bit longer but when the OL falls apart so does the offense. The Colts need to design a system to help cover up some of that weakness and let the playmakers actually be playmakers. To me this is why really an offense should design from the inside out of working to build up a great OL/QB combo and go from there.

Fair points but sooner or later, his play on the field has to reflect the expectations.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasn't Cousins already asking for 21-22M, wasn't it widely believed Luck was going to get around 25M. How does this change anything? Nothing has changed, unless Cousins asks for 23-24M and Washington pays it.

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
maybe now he can afford to get that chin slinky trimmed

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get that. I don't blame teams for overpaying at the QB position but to me when it is about winning Super Bowls and overpaying for a mediocre QB usually doesn't equal Super Bowl victories in this league is it really worth it to just keep staying in that spot for years upon years? I mean making the playoffs say once every three years with an expensive mediocre QB and getting bounced in the first 2 rounds of the playoffs when you do make it just doesn't make much sense to me. I would rather my team take the risk and shoot for something great.

Spoken like a true football fan. NFL GMs aren't fans though.

I also understand why you are championing this rationale. It's the position you find the team you root for currently in. I'm going to need to see a Mark Sanchez caliber QB win a Super Bowl (I know, I know...Trent Dilfer...).

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Right on the money. We are 4 years in now, and at some point soon the gap between potential and performance should close if it ever will. The "he doesn't have enough talent around him" excuse can't be used forever. And as Seattle fans were told a year ago, paying your QB the big bucks makes it nearly impossible to improve talent on the rest of the roster. Big year for Luck.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
funny...so much more to playing NFL QB than just the stat sheet. As a football fan I know there aren't many that play to a high standard year to year. From what I've seen, I'd be very happy to have a Luck or a Wilson on my team going forward. The money is nuts but it's the going rate

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I'm willing to wipe the slate clean for Luck fans, will Luck fans at least admit that this compels him to rise above or forever wear the over-hyped badge? No fucking offensive line excuses. No bullshit. I want to see him put the team on his back and earn this cash.

....or STFU about how great the kid is.

Kid's great. On Seattle he'd have 3 Super Bowls.