• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Andrew Luck signed thru 2021

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't even get what people are arguing in this thread. Everyone knew that Luck was going to become the highest paid QB in the NFL. It's his turn. He's worth every freaking guaranteed penny of that contract. Anyone who thinks differently is clueless about how an NFL organization should be run.

BTW...people need to stop ignoring the fact that the salary cap is growing by significant amounts each and every year. Estimates have 2018 at $200 million. That's over $40 million higher than 2016.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well the NFL has shown that 14% mark is the deal breaker even with the elite QB's in this league. I think Manning this past year is the only QB to be making 14% or more of the cap and actually win a Super Bowl. So while it doesn't seem like much it does seem to be a significant number. Now in today's NFL that 2.5% equals around $4 million in actual cap money so no big deal but that is still at least a quality depth guy and depending on the position maybe a decent starter.

It is a factor. But 11.5% of the cap is a big dent.

And it does make it really hard to win a Super Bowl.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is a factor. But 11.5% of the cap is a big dent.

And it does make it really hard to win a Super Bowl.

True and it is why even the elite QB's in this league when taking up a huge chunk of the cap struggle to win the Super Bowl. We see a lot of them win when they are on the rookie deal. Now the elite ones can continue to get their team to the playoffs pretty consistently but to actually win it with taking up that much cap is quite the struggle. It is why the idea of paying a mediocre or even above average QB big time money just doesn't make much sense. Your margin for error to actually be able to win the Super Bowl becomes razor thin.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasn't Cousins already asking for 21-22M, wasn't it widely believed Luck was going to get around 25M. How does this change anything? Nothing has changed, unless Cousins asks for 23-24M and Washington pays it.

Pretty much. I really don't care how much (within reason) they pay him as long as he gets the job done. If he turns out to be a fluke and tanks I wouldn't even want him to make a few million/yr. Not sure why fans get so caught up in this stuff. Salaries will continue to go up as long as the sport is popular.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty much. I really don't care how much (within reason) they pay him as long as he gets the job done. If he turns out to be a fluke and tanks I wouldn't even want him to make a few million/yr. Not sure why fans get so caught up in this stuff. Salaries will continue to go up as long as the sport is popular.
All I'm saying is Lucks signing has no affect on Cousins.

TP76

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't even get what people are arguing in this thread. Everyone knew that Luck was going to become the highest paid QB in the NFL. It's his turn. He's worth every freaking guaranteed penny of that contract. Anyone who thinks differently is clueless about how an NFL organization should be run.

BTW...people need to stop ignoring the fact that the salary cap is growing by significant amounts each and every year. Estimates have 2018 at $200 million. That's over $40 million higher than 2016.

Perhaps we should look at what happens to teams after the QB breaks the bank with a record setting deal before talking in absolutes.

Eli...
Flacco...
Luck --?

Going back even further - Bledsoe inked the biggest deal ever - shortly thereafter lost his Job to Brady, and was subsequently traded to Buffalo.

Granted, Flacco and Eli still have an opportunity to rebound, but those are the examples that just come to mind.

There are more - below:

14 NFL players have signed $100 million deals. Here's a list of their names and how much they actually took home. • /r/nfl

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps we should look at what happens to teams shortly after the QB breaks the bank with a record setting deal before talking in absolutes.

Eli...
Flacco...
Luck --?

Going back even further - Bledsoe inked the biggest deal ever - shortly thereafter lost his Job to Brady, and was subsequently traded to Buffalo.

Granted, Flacco and Eli still have an opportunity to rebound, but those are the examples that just come to mind.

There are more - below:

14 NFL players have signed $100 million deals. Here's a list of their names and how much they actually took home. • /r/nfl

Again...spoken like a fan. The ownership and front office of any NFL team has to run the organization like a business.

Do you think it would have been good for business for the Colts to let Andrew Luck walk???

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Andrew Luck is 31st in the NFL in completion % since 2012 because of his defense" - retards like eaglesnut

When your defense is bad you have to take more chances. When your defense is great you don't have to take as many. But I guess you don't think enough to realize that.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and indeed Luck was road pizza last year...

It's a circular argument EN, subjective and equally unprovable (whichever side of the roof you're on)

I know. It's not even provable that Russell Wilson has had the easiest job in the NFL among quarterbacks, but it's still well understood by those able to understand it.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All I'm saying is Lucks signing has no affect on Cousins.
It's an informational point on QB salaries, no? Given supply and demand, it becomes part of the dialogue of negotiations.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wilson didn't have a great RB last year. And he ended up with his best statistical season of his career.

Everyone with Tyler Lockett to throw to gets better.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's an informational point on QB salaries, no? Given supply and demand, it becomes part of the dialogue of negotiations.
Again I don't think Lucks deal has any bearing on a Cousins deal, I guess I'll just bow out and let redskin fans think it does.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again I don't think Lucks deal has any bearing on a Cousins deal, I guess I'll just bow out and let redskin fans think it does.
Fair enough.

IMO, the Luck deal impacts all QB negotiations (not Cousins specific at all), just as any large contract would be a negotiating point for any position.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When your defense is bad you have to take more chances. When your defense is great you don't have to take as many. But I guess you don't think enough to realize that.

Dude, if it was just a disparity of 5 rankings, then maybe the volume argument would hold water. But Wilson is in elite rankings of efficiency, while Luck is in the 20s and 30s. Why can't you just admit how that can affect the performance of any QBs defense?

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude, if it was just a disparity of 5 rankings, then maybe the volume argument would hold water. But Wilson is in elite rankings of efficiency, while Luck is in the 20s and 30s. Why can't you just admit how that can affect the performance of any QBs defense?

Oh so Wilson made that defense. I see.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just glad it doesn't look like Wilson will waste Lockett's talents. Love that dude.

Me too, he's fucking awesome.

TY Hilton is jealous.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Me too, he's fucking awesome.

TY Hilton is jealous.

Never a day in Hilton's life he was better than Lockett. That's where Luck gets no help from his front office. Some guys go 10-6 with 1-15 talent. And some guys go 12-4 with 15-1 talent.