• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

And then there was DeMarco Murray

FadeToBlack

I'm a "member"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Murray and the Eagles are using each other to drive the price up for Dallas. Maybe Im wrong but that would make sense
I'm inclined to think it's more than that. If it is driving Dallas' price up, that's just good strategy, but I think there's more than that here. I'm guessing that there's a greater than 50% chance he signs with Philly tomorrow.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm inclined to think it's more than that. If it is driving Dallas' price up, that's just good strategy, but I think there's more than that here. I'm guessing that there's a greater than 50% chance he signs with Philly tomorrow.
Matthews will be pissed if that happens LOL

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be shocked if he signed with the Eagles.
RB DeMarco Murray visiting the Eagles

Free-agent running back DeMarco Murray will visit the Eagles on Thursday, according to a report from ESPN's Adam Schefter.

Murray ran for an NFL-best 1,845 yards and totaled 13 rushing yards for the Cowboys in 2014. The Cowboys have reportedly offered him a deal worth $5 million per year.

The Eagles added running back Ryan Mathews to the roster on Wednesday. However, ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported that Murray called Eagles coach Chip Kelly to express interest in playing for Philadelphia.

If Murray agreed to a deal with the Eagles, he'd reunite with his former Oklahoma teammate Sam Bradford, the former No. 1 overall pick by the Rams in the 2010 draft. The Eagles traded Nick Foles for Bradford on Tuesday.

Chip has it all figured out, you need 4 running backs

Haha, yeah, that's why I would be shocked if he signed with them. I think they would end up with more invested in RB than they were when they had McCoy. It doesn't make too much sense. They probably are just driving the price up on us to try to limit the moves we can make like many have said.

If they are serious though, they would only be limiting themselves... they would probably need to trade someone.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Murray and the Eagles are using each other to drive the price up for Dallas. Maybe Im wrong but that would make sense
To a price they can't conceivably afford? I tend to think the Philly thing is real. Makes a lot more sense for Murray than Oakland or Jax. If anything, it's to drive it up for Jax and Oak.

FadeToBlack

I'm a "member"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be shocked if he signed with the Eagles.

Haha, yeah, that's why I would be shocked if he signed with them. I think they would end up with more invested in RB than they were when they had McCoy. It doesn't make too much sense. They probably are just driving the price up on us to try to limit the moves we can make like many have said.

If they are serious though, they would only be limiting themselves... they would probably need to trade someone.
Why? None of the backs on the roster are marquee backs. If you can get a marquee back for $7mm per, you should do it.

Polk was tendered the lower QO of $1.6m and I don't believe he's signed anything yet, so he's not even on the team at this point.

If he signs the QO, his cap hit this season is $1.542m and we could just cut him easily. With $17m or something at the moment, there's plenty of room to cut Polk.

Chris Polk Contract Details, Salary Cap Charges, Bonus Money | Over The Cap

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why? None of the backs on the roster are marquee backs. If you can get a marquee back for $7mm per, you should do it.

Polk was tendered the lower QO of $1.6m and I don't believe he's signed anything yet, so he's not even on the team at this point.

If he signs the QO, his cap hit this season is $1.542m and we could just cut him easily. With $17m or something at the moment, there's plenty of room to cut Polk.

Chris Polk Contract Details, Salary Cap Charges, Bonus Money | Over The Cap

They may not be but it still seems like an awful lot to invest in one position when you consider the amount of playing time you are likely to get out of each guy. Also, don't you all still need/want a WR? The guy that walked at WR was pretty good too.

The only way I see this happening is if they trade Matthews or Sproles. I think they would be dumb to trade Sproles, he is under rated and under used if you ask me. Maybe if they flip Matthews for a pick or a WR though.

FadeToBlack

I'm a "member"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They may not be but it still seems like an awful lot to invest in one position when you consider the amount of playing time you are likely to get out of each guy. Also, don't you all still need/want a WR? The guy that walked at WR was pretty good too.

The only way I see this happening is if they trade Matthews or Sproles. I think they would be dumb to trade Sproles, he is under rated and under used if you ask me. Maybe if they flip Matthews for a pick or a WR though.

If the rumors about how much money Murray has been offered are true, they could offer him $6.5m and it would be more than everybody else. With $12m left under the cap, they could do a few other moves and free up room to add a S and a WR. The WR spot will be filled in the draft, I bet, and the S spot isn't super-urgent, but would be nice to upgrade, so that doesn't have to be filled.

They could also renegotiate/extend Bradford's contract to save money... Risky move, but I'd bet this is in the works.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read the Cowboys offered 5 mil annually. Murray wanted 3 more mil a year. he is mad at the Cowboys & he personally reached out to the eagles. it is speculated that he might give the eagles a deal to stick it to the cowboys. I have no clue if any or all of this is true. But I have read in a couple places he isn't happy with the cowboys. Kinda makes me wonder. He might go to the Eagles.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do think a suitable replacement could be found for him in the draft but that would mean burning a quality high round pick on a running back instead of help on the defensive side of the ball. If Murray signs then you can pretty much go all defense in the first 3 rounds which is where the Cowboys could use the most help. There are certainly long term pieces in place for the Boys but Romo won't be around forever, their chance to win is now. Signing Murray and drafting D is their best bet for winning in the near future.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TRUE..but what else do they have? A bunch of scrubs and they can't depend on Randle.
There are a bunch of good RB's available in the upcoming draft.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was hoping they would go defense early and often.
That would be the logical thing to do but you know how Jerry operates.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and did I read right that Tampa signed Bruce Carter for about the same as the Cowboys were offering Murray?
Tampa has more money to spend because they have more cap space from what I understand.

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tampa has more money to spend because they have more cap space from what I understand.

as Jerry learned (I think) just because you have money to spend doesn't mean you have to spend stupidly. Bruce Carter for $5mill/yr is crazy!!

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as Jerry learned (I think) just because you have money to spend doesn't mean you have to spend stupidly. Bruce Carter for $5mill/yr is crazy!!
There is a reason why teams like Tampa Bay rarely sniff the Super Bowl.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Count me as one who thinks this whole Murray to Phili thing is just a ploy.

It makes zero sense to trade McCoy, cut Sproles and sign Matthews and Murray.