• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

An inspring night tonight, and a sign of things to come in the NBA...

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Parity? The finals was a repeat of last year and if I was a betting man I'd say that Cavs/Warriors will be the finals in 2016-2017. Also, even without knowing what happens in the offseason the odds are that there are at most 5 teams who going into next season have an actual chance to win it all. I understand saying Cavs did it in a smaller market, but they had a big market team. They paid a lot to bring together a big 3, gave their 2nd PF a shit ton of money, and made some smart trades. I'm happy they won though.
I can see Cavs making it back, not so sure about GS.

I am hopeful, but I am really hoping Portland becomes a real contender this year. Gets a few missing pieces to their puzzle for that to happen.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...is there such a thing as "small markets" when the league has a salary cap?

The Royals winning the World Series last season was a triumph for small markets. The Cavs this NBA season? Not so much.

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see Cavs making it back, not so sure about GS.

I am hopeful, but I am really hoping Portland becomes a real contender this year. Gets a few missing pieces to their puzzle for that to happen.
They need to get a low post presence that can go with their 1-2 punch in the backcourt and maybe one or two pieces added to the bench. I'm upset the Kings passed on Lillard, but I am a fan of his and would like to see them be serious contenders. As for the Warriors, we'll have to see how the offseason plays out for them. There has to be a big move or two for me to change my opinion on them being favorites in the West.

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Parity? Let's see here ....

LeBron James' teams have made the Finals SIX years in a row!

The 2016 NBA Finals was a rematch of the 2015 NBA Finals.

The 2014 NBA Finals was a rematch of the 2013 NBA Finals.

The last four NBA Finals has been between San Antonio, Golden State and whatever team LeBron is on.

That's not parity. Not even close.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just recently has their population grown significantly. They're not considered a big market compared to an LA or NY.

Certainly not compared to LA of NY, but in NBA terms, I don't think you can consider San Antonio a small market.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Certainly not compared to LA of NY, but in NBA terms, I don't think you can consider San Antonio a small market.

You can argue it either way. San Antonio has a very small downtown and next to nothing to do other than eating Mexican food or going out to drink.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can argue it either way. San Antonio has a very small downtown and next to nothing to do other than eating Mexican food or going out to drink.
There are other things worth doing?:noidea:

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Parity, sweet parity...

Big markets don't guarantee success in this league anymore like it did in the early parts of this decade. The working class at last has value in this league, and the Cavs were able to hoist the town's first trophy in 50 years. And me being a Cubs fan, it gives me more incentive to root for cursed franchises like this.

Give credit where credit is due.

As much as I hated LeBron for how he conducted himself during his four years in Miami, this series has proven just how much has grown up.

It gives me hope as a Jazz fan that we may in the next 52 years win a championship.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It gives me hope as a Jazz fan that we may in the next 52 years win a championship.

I would've loved to see what the Jazz could've done if they had pushed the Bulls to a Game 7 (in both 1997 and 1998). Except for a few games, including that super blowout game in the 1998 Finals, those games were very, very close.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would've loved to see what the Jazz could've done if they had pushed the Bulls to a Game 7 (in both 1997 and 1998). Except for a few games, including that super blowout game in the 1998 Finals, those games were very, very close.

I have always felt like they would've lost Game 7, but part of me thinks that to get over Jordan pushing off. Yes, I know that you're not gonna call that call on him at that moment, but I also think it's been exaggerated on how Russell was "slipping."

The first matchup was closer, given that blowout loss in the rematch. In fact, the Jazz and the Bulls scored the same number of points in the first match up, but of course the Bulls won more. Either way, the home and away was equal but for some reason I feel like the Jazz pushed them to six on the road in the first match as opposed to when they were the home favorites.

Last edited:

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have always felt like they would've lost Game 7, but part of me thinks that to get over Jordan pushing off. Yes, I know that you're not gonna call that call on him at that moment, but I also think it's been exaggerated on how Russell was "slipping."

The first matchup was closer, given that blowout loss in the rematch. In fact, the Jazz and the Bulls scored the same number of points in the first match up, but of course the Bulls won more. Either way, the home and away was equal but for some reason I feel like the Jazz pushed them to six on the road in the first match as opposed to when they were the home favorites.

Those Jazz teams would've won the title in many other seasons. Elo ratings have the 1997 and 1998 Jazz as the 17th and 19th best teams of all time respectively. They are ranked above many title-winning teams.