• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Alex Smith traded to Skins

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smith knew that considering his age this was his last chance for a big payday in the NFL. I don't blame him. That denver offered looked really good, but no way the Chiefs trade a player as good as Smith to a division rival.

YOu also have to figure in that Talib and his $12M salary kinds of defeats the purpose to a degree. Getting rid of Smith shaves $17.5M off the books, minus any bonus prorate.

Picking up Talib eats into most of the cap savings from the trade.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is fans like you who will NEVER get off the notion that in fact, this is a business, its not personal. It takes something valuable to get value in return. Sure, Fuller graded out "the best" at slot coverage this year. That is awesome, great teammate and great dude from all indications and played extremely well in 2017 imo. To ensure AS was available to WASH, KF was the insurance to close this deal. It sucks losing Fuller however, our QB situation, whether you like it or not, (I love Cousins) had to be resolved before March 14th. Guess what, Cousins/Agent were not playing, at all. In all likelihood, if the tag was placed, Cousins would have signed it and why not. He and his agent gave no indication they even wanted to deal at this point, (as bad of an organization that all seem to think we are, me included) the brass had to maneuver quickly to sign what they feel is a long term option with a chance to win (likely not the SB) now. This is the alternative to drafting a rookie and starting a rebuild. That's really how you have to look at this transaction because while many including yourself say WASH paid too much for the same QB, most experts deemed necessary to complete the trade. (Casserly being one of those) By the way, AS is a better QB currently than Cousins, numbers don't lie. Cousins could possibly out perform and surpass AS numbers in the future making him finish his career as a better QB than Smith. Time shall tell.

HTTR!

Really? You want to go by the numbers? Let’s do that. Let’s play your game just so you know how fucked up the above is. Oh, and Casserly is a fucking moron.

Over the last three seasons...

Kirk Cousins- 1132/1689, 67%, 13176 yards, 7.8 YPA, 81 TDs, 36 ints, 97.5 rating...QBRs 72, 66, and 51
Alex Smith- 976/1464, 66.7%, 11030 yards, 7.5 YPA, 61 TDs, 20 ints, 97.2 rating...QBRs 58, 58, 64

You said it. Numbers do not lie; however, you apparently do. KC has better numbers, far better numbers if you add in surrounding talent, and incredibly better numbers if you look at this season as a statistical anomaly for KC bas3d on all the injuries. Oh, did I mention Alex Smith couldn’t put up better numbers while being asked to do far less with much more?

Or were you referring to some other made up numbers in another dimension not lying?

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please explain to me how maintaining the status quo at QB while also giving up resources in other areas is now all of a sudden going in an upward direction??

From most of the reports we are planning to give Smith $71M in guaranteed money. Did we save a little cap space?? Sure we did. But I will say it again, this move was more about saving a little face.

You’ve said it yourself, Smith is as good or better than Cuz right now. Will AS regress quickly...Will KC continue to progress quickly??? Who the hell knows? So if we aren’t getter getting worse at QB and can continue to build this team (including slowly grooming a young QB) then yes...we should hopefully continue to improve and build this team into a contender.

As far as money and resources go.... I’m sure when you look at the long term numbers, guarantees, etc. etc. between Kirk and Alex , it won’t be very close. The Redskins rolled the dice and lost. They most likely didn’t want to invest that kind of long term $$$ in him anyways, so it’s all a mute pint. Kirk will demand and get huge $$$ on the open market.

As far as the capital goes.. I get it. I don’t like losing Fuller or a 3rd round pick. But we could pick up someone that could be better? He is still a largely unknown commodity. QB is a much more important position than CB, so we did what we had to do. And let’s not act like a 3rd round pick is setting this franchise back like the RG3 trade or something.....sucks to not have it. But I’m sure more than half of 3rd rounders amount to nothing anyway.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You’ve said it yourself, Smith is as good or better than Cuz right now. Will AS regress quickly...Will KC continue to progress quickly??? Who the hell knows? So if we aren’t getter getting worse at QB and can continue to build this team (including slowly grooming a young QB) then yes...we should hopefully continue to improve and build this team into a contender.

As far as money and resources go.... I’m sure when you look at the long term numbers, guarantees, etc. etc. between Kirk and Alex , it won’t be very close. The Redskins rolled the dice and lost. They most likely didn’t want to invest that kind of long term $$$ in him anyways, so it’s all a mute pint. Kirk will demand and get huge $$$ on the open market.

As far as the capital goes.. I get it. I don’t like losing Fuller or a 3rd round pick. But we could pick up someone that could be better? He is still a largely unknown commodity. QB is a much more important position than CB, so we did what we had to do. And let’s not act like a 3rd round pick is setting this franchise back like the RG3 trade or something.....sucks to not have it. But I’m sure more than half of 3rd rounders amount to nothing anyway.

more FO slurping acting like it wasnt a bad deal , i have 5 other qb options that are just as good as smith and we dont give up players or draft capitol.

smith the qb i can stomach smith the trade was stupid now , it will be stupid a year from now and it will be stupid a decade from now

we got fleeced by reid again

but the puppets are happy KC is gone so all is good

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really? You want to go by the numbers? Let’s do that. Let’s play your game just so you know how fucked up the above is. Oh, and Casserly is a fucking moron.

Kirk Cousins- 1132/1689, 67%, 13176 yards, 7.8 YPA, 81 TDs, 36 ints, 97.5 rating...QBRs 72, 66, and 51
Alex Smith- 976/1464, 66.7%, 11030 yards, 7.5 YPA, 61 TDs, 20 ints, 97.2 rating...QBRs 58, 58, 64

You said it. Numbers do not lie; however, you apparently do. KC has better numbers, far better numbers if you add in surrounding talent, and incredibly better numbers if you look at this season as a statistical anomaly for KC bas3d on all the injuries. Oh, did I mention Alex Smith couldn’t put up better numbers while being asked to do far less with much more?

Or were you referring to some other made up numbers in another dimension not lying?

Great stats. But to play Devils advocate here, Smith played 2 less regular season games over that time period. If you take his APG over those three seasons and add that to his total (Times 2). Cousins would have thrown for around a whopping 25 more yards a game. Doing the same math, Kirk averaged about 3 more passes a game...

So in other words, they are basically the same QB. :noidea:

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is fans like you who will NEVER get off the notion that in fact, this is a business, its not personal. It takes something valuable to get value in return. Sure, Fuller graded out "the best" at slot coverage this year. That is awesome, great teammate and great dude from all indications and played extremely well in 2017 imo. To ensure AS was available to WASH, KF was the insurance to close this deal. It sucks losing Fuller however, our QB situation, whether you like it or not, (I love Cousins) had to be resolved before March 14th. Guess what, Cousins/Agent were not playing, at all. In all likelihood, if the tag was placed, Cousins would have signed it and why not. He and his agent gave no indication they even wanted to deal at this point, (as bad of an organization that all seem to think we are, me included) the brass had to maneuver quickly to sign what they feel is a long term option with a chance to win (likely not the SB) now. This is the alternative to drafting a rookie and starting a rebuild. That's really how you have to look at this transaction because while many including yourself say WASH paid too much for the same QB, most experts deemed necessary to complete the trade. (Casserly being one of those) By the way, AS is a better QB currently than Cousins, numbers don't lie. Cousins could possibly out perform and surpass AS numbers in the future making him finish his career as a better QB than Smith. Time shall tell.

HTTR!

What the hell are you talking about dude? I'm well aware it's business and not personal. You're talking to somebody who argued we shouldn't bring back Alfred Morris and there's not Redskins fan alive who didn't love Morris.

The problem is this trade was shitty business. For one you don't know that cousins definitively wouldn't come back. But even if that assumption is true, it's still a terrible trade!

We gave up a 3rd round pick and a talented and very promising player who was already one of the best in the league at his position - an important position at that! In return we got a 34 year old QB who has had back to back teams realize he wasn't good enough to win them a super bowl because he's too damn conservative. And we doubled down by committing a long term contract to him. The dudes 34 and hasn't been good enough to date in his career. This plan is reliant on Smith somehow improving at this age and us being able to compete immediately because we're now without a doubt in win now mode. Amd guess what - we aren't a close to good enough team to win a super bowl with Alex Smith right now.

And finally...you said smith is a better QB currently than cousins. The numbers don't lie...

The numbers say the complete opposite of that! Cousins is younger and has pretty much without a doubt been the better QB since he became our starter.

So moral of the story... this trade sucks... and it sucks because its bad for our football team not because of some personal attachment for any players.

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

HTTR!

Also... most people are roasting us for this trade both in league offices and the media. We look like idiots.

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Thank you lol. I almost fell out of my chair when I read that.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
more FO slurping acting like it wasnt a bad deal , i have 5 other qb options that are just as good as smith and we dont give up players or draft capitol.

smith the qb i can stomach smith the trade was stupid now , it will be stupid a year from now and it will be stupid a decade from now

we got fleeced by reid again

but the puppets are happy KC is gone so all is good

You say that like it is fact....I respect your opinions skinsdad and you are obviously one of the most passionate in the board. But don’t be so doom and gloom. We don’t know how this is gonna turn out... none of us. It could turn out to be the worst move imaginable or it could be brilliant. Probably will be somewhere in the middle.

And your schtick is old. No one is happy Kirk is gone, just not nearly as devastated (it seems) as some of you. The franchise will survive. HTTR!

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My opinion, Smith might be a hair better than Cousins. MIGHT

As far as Money and resources go. If the Numbers on the Smith deal that are being reported are accurate... Smith at $71M got more guaranteed money than Stafford, and some where in the range of $15-20M more than they ever offered Cousins on a LTD.

Marinate on that for a moment.

SO yea, they did what they HAD to do. But I stand by my opinion that they once again over extended for some one elses player because they have shown a habit of lowballing in house talent more often than not.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kendall was a must to get the deal done

From Tandler...

Why did the Redskins include Kendall Fuller in the trade? Because it was the only way the deal was going to get done. It’s not like the Redskins said, hey, how about we throw in Fuller? The Chiefs wanted him, the Redskins wanted Smith and that was the deal to which the parties agreed. It’s that simple.

I don’t think that anyone argues that Smith and Cousins are comparable quarterbacks. They are in the “good” category, below the level of elite and special quarterbacks, but they also offer competence and stability that many other signal callers do not. The Redskins did not get a major upgrade to the team in the deal. Sometimes you have to make a trade not to get better but to prevent getting worse. This was one of those deals.

Need to Know: Why did the Redskins include Kendall Fuller in the Alex Smith trade?

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I totally get the not getting worse angle.

Now here is what I expect.... they are going to DUMP money at improving the offense. Which might be a good thing.

Lets not kid ourselves.... if the team regresses with Smith AND Cousins does well elsewhere......

Well lets just say that's not the kind of press Danny will want.

Oh definitely, and it could certainly happen.

I will be interested to see where Kirk ends up. I am sure he will be thinking about everything pros and cons from all teams.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh definitely, and it could certainly happen.

I will be interested to see where Kirk ends up. I am sure he will be thinking about everything pros and cons from all teams.

I expect Kirk to do well (Unless he goes to the Browns that is)

I HOPE Smith does well, but I think he comes with the Danny jinx.

Mitziman

i know you don't like to hear the truth, but...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,454.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some awesome stats being posted as a fact that KC is clearly a better QB than Smith.

How about the fact, in the last 7 NFL seasons Alex has a winning record as a starting QB?

How about the fact, KC has fumbled the ball 31 times compared to Alex's 13 over the last three seasons?

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great stats. But to play Devils advocate here, Smith played 2 less regular season games over that time period. If you take his APG over those three seasons and add that to his total (Times 2). Cousins would have thrown for around a whopping 25 more yards a game. Doing the same math, Kirk averaged about 3 more passes a game...

So in other words, they are basically the same QB. :noidea:

You said the numbers do not lie. Every statistical category, KC wins. Completion percentage, YPA which nullifies both your yardage and pass attempt argument, QB rating, and QBR. You fail to even look at the statistical outlier (which every statistician in the world would bring up) that was this past season. Oh, and 25YPG is significant.

Mitziman

i know you don't like to hear the truth, but...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,454.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You said the numbers do not lie. Every statistical category, KC wins. Completion percentage, YPA which nullifies both your yardage and pass attempt argument, QB rating, and QBR. You fail to even look at the statistical outlier (which every statistician in the world would bring up) that was this past season. Oh, and 25YPG is significant.

No gk, he doesn't.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some awesome stats being posted as a fact that KC is clearly a better QB than Smith.

How about the fact, in the last 7 NFL seasons Alex has a winning record as a starting QB?

How about the fact, KC has fumbled the ball 31 times compared to Alex's 13 over the last three seasons?
And if Smith were the Redskins QB the last 3 years, would he have had a better record here than Cousins? Highly unlikely. You are comparing apples to oranges.