• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Alex Smith traded to Skins

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True. And that’s kind of what they did. They rolled the dice and lost. They weren’t going to pay KC what he thought he was worth.

Serious question for @skinsdad62 @gkekoa @Sharkinva @j_y19 and some of you others. Seeing that either KC wasn’t going to sign a LTD or we wasn’t going to offer him one...

Would you have rather the FO made this move??? Or roll into the season with Colt and a 1st or 2nd round QB??
There is a 3rd option. Another FA QB. Minn has 3 and will have to dump one, if not 2. I'm not sure that Smith buys us anything that is worth a 3rd rd pick and one of the best young CBs in the league. Does he take us to the SB? Nope, he needs talent around him and we don't have that as evidenced by lat year. Actually, I would have preferred Colt/rookie combo before this trade. And I definitely would have looked at a couple other QBs in FA to see what they would cost.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sign a FA which wouldnt have cost us any picks and we keep fuller . i dont mind alex smith the player as a place holder i mind the trade capitol we gave up for him when a just a good option was available and for a similar or even less price

I agree with Fuller. That should have been someone else. But a 3rd rounder... not too worried about that. And I believe Smith was signed for 71 mill guaranteed. Probably could cut bait with him after year 3 or 4. He will get us thru to the next guy. KC would have costed at least 100 mill. And there won’t be any/many better options available at QB during this FA period.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with Fuller. That should have been someone else. But a 3rd rounder... not too worried about that. And I believe Smith was signed for 71 mill guaranteed. Probably could cut bait with him after year 3 or 4. He will get us thru to the next guy. KC would have costed at least 100 mill. And there won’t be any/many better options available at QB during this FA period.

Cousins, is younger and a better QB.

They basically gave up a 3rd rounder and what should become a starting CB in this league in order to try and save face.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
71 mil is 71 mil and that is on the cap books which means cutting bait means dead cap space money which we dont need

2nd the aforementioned fuller was a 3rd round pick so tossing away resources you dont need to is stupid

3rd the guy most at fault for the 100 mil price tag is the guy who made this stupid trade as well as the DMAC trade . if he had made the right call in 2015 then all of this wouldnt be and issue and we would be prepping for some playoff runs

as for options show me where i said there was any BETTER options at qb ? i said " just as good" without giving up the trade capitol

this came about just as i said it would we would get lesser value and do something stupid . now we have weakened one of our better positions CB even more . we lose 2 starters just like our 2 starting WRS (which didnt work out well ) and moving to another unproven option who is basically a rookie (much like dox ) there will be a drop off at the position for sure

now the supposed selling points were cap space savings ( we got a whopping 5 mil )

we would get a franchise /elite qb , we got an older game manager instead of the alleged younger game manager

making a trade for a qb should have been dead last on the list of options

1st option , sign a FA qb to your price line and draft a qb early or late depending on value of both the fa qb or the pick
2nd option draft qb early and start colt mccoy (a guys who the abc crowd said could do just as well ) until young draft pick is ready

lastly you then make trade for the 34 yr old game manager and over pay in terms of draft and player capitol as well as salary which you were bitching about in the 1st place in quite a few posts

Rowdy

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,828.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We all know I was all in on cousin Kirk, but given the circumstances I’m ok with the trade after some consideration. I really liked fuller, but that’s what it took to get the deal done. I have no confidence at all with the other options we had and I’d still like to grab a qb 4th or later in the draft. Let’s go Alex! HTTR!

F.U. Bruce Allen

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We all know I was all in on cousin Kirk, but given the circumstances I’m ok with the trade after some consideration. I really liked fuller, but that’s what it took to get the deal done. I have no confidence at all with the other options we had and I’d still like to grab a qb 4th or later in the draft. Let’s go Alex! HTTR!

F.U. Bruce Allen

Not trying to pick a fight.

But this my friend is what Dan and Bruce thrive on. The fact that the love for the Redskins will trump logic and allow them to do what ever because eventually MOST of the fan base will convince ourselves that...

It was the right thing to do, they had no choice, and it wasn't THAT bad of a fuck up.

Rowdy

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,828.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But this my friend is what Dan and Bruce thrive on. The fact that the love for the Redskins will trump logic and allow them to do what ever because eventually MOST of the fan base will convince ourselves that...

It was the right thing to do, they had no choice, and it wasn't THAT bad of a fuck up.

Lol, I agree

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Now that's deep!

It's entertainment, and as such, has no bearing or consequence whatsoever on our daily lives.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that's deep!

It's entertainment, and as such, has no bearing or consequence whatsoever on our daily lives.

I take it you disagree with my statement?? And some folks pay alot of money for this entertainment. You cant seriously justify paying what it costs for season tickets, the Sunday ticket or even the amount of time spent watching games or following this team. Not unless you are willing to some degree to have a vested interest in what the team does. Going to the local AMC to catch the latest movie is entertainment. Following a sports team is a bit more of a past time or hobby.

And yes, to be a Redskins fan over the past 26 years does involve a more than casual amount of group self delusion.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It was a terrible fuck up, but this was also the right thing to do. They already fucked up the Cousins situation in the past. Can't change the past. This was the right move moving forward.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a terrible fuck up, but this was also the right thing to do. They already fucked up the Cousins situation in the past. Can't change the past. This was the right move moving forward.

It was A move. The right or wrongness of the move wont be determined for months, possibly years from now. And while I agree they HAD to do something. Knowing the history and reactionary nature of this team, I simply cant go all in blind faith on this move because it just seems too Dan and Bruce for me. Smith has just enough of a pedigree as to be the typical Snyder baffle them with BS kind of move we have seen all to often over the past 20+ years.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was A move. The right or wrongness of the move wont be determined for months, possibly years from now. And while I agree they HAD to do something. Knowing the history and reactionary nature of this team, I simply cant go all in blind faith on this move because it just seems too Dan and Bruce for me. Smith has just enough of a pedigree as to be the typical Snyder baffle them with BS kind of move we have seen all to often over the past 20+ years.
You guys had complete shit at QB and got the best guy available this offseason.

You haven't even had a QB better than A.Smith besides Cousins in that same time period.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys had complete shit at QB and got the best guy available this offseason.

You haven't even had a QB better than A.Smith besides Cousins in that same time period.

As i have said to others,

We got the 2nd best QB available to us.

We only ended up getting the second best guy available to us because Dan and Bruce made damn sure to sour the relationship with Cousins over the past three years.

You dont congratulate some one for a job well done simply because they were sort of able to clean up the mess they made in the first place.

Thats like you calling your child from 2:00 to 5:00 and saying make sure you let the dog out. After the Dog dumps all over the floor, you give your son $5 for cleaning up the mess you knew would happen, and he ignored while playing Xbox.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I find it very ironic that the same folks who were bitching about Cousins are now applauding this trade as the right move. Really? So just what did we get that made this team better? The complaints about Cousins (game manager, can't carry the team himself, etc) are exactly what we got in Smith. With the exceptions of we now have one less talented young CB and one less 3rd round draft pick. Oh, and we probably saved a couple Million/year. So, those of you that were negative on Cousins, how do you justify this?

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As i have said to others,

We got the 2nd best QB available to us.

We only ended up getting the second best guy available to us because Dan and Bruce made damn sure to sour the relationship with Cousins over the past three years.

You dont congratulate some one for a job well done simply because they were sort of able to clean up the mess they made in the first place.

Thats like you calling your child from 2:00 to 5:00 and saying make sure you let the dog out. After the Dog dumps all over the floor, you give your son $5 for cleaning up the mess you knew would happen, and he ignored while playing Xbox.
Cannot change the past.

You could have been the Cleveland Browns next year. Now you're not. A massive improvement from the shortlived kirk cousinless era.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cannot change the past.

You could have been the Cleveland Browns next year. Now you're not. A massive improvement from the shortlived kirk cousinless era.

I agree you cant change the past.

Problem is, the past is exactly why we got into this mess to begin with.

And we might not be the Browns, but as a long time Redskins fan that knows Redskins football.... we remain the Snydermen with this trade.

Buffalo_Nickel_1

Hoopla Cash
$ 268.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just google colin cowherd talking about this trade he sums is up good

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree you cant change the past.

Problem is, the past is exactly why we got into this mess to begin with.

And we might not be the Browns, but as a long time Redskins fan that knows Redskins football.... we remain the Snydermen with this trade.
They are two separate moves. F for one. A for the other. You can link them and average them out if you want, but that does not deal with the reality you all had entered at the end of the Kirk Cousins era. A cleveland browns existence. You all were saved from that fate. There is plenty of value in avoiding that.

Buffalo_Nickel_1

Hoopla Cash
$ 268.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think dunbar is better then fuller i think holsey could take fuller spot or just resign breeland breeland norman dunbar holsey fab maneru whats so bad about those corners we still have