• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Alex Smith traded to Skins

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If a move is not about getting better why make it? I've read a couple times already in some articles that Alex is a better QB than Kirk. I don't agree with that sentiment, but I hope it turns out to be true. As all this move looks like to me. Is Snyder/Allen trying to cover their asses for not signing Kirk not once, but twice.

Three times if we count this time.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If a move is not about getting better why make it? I've read a couple times already in some articles that Alex is a better QB than Kirk. I don't agree with that sentiment, but I hope it turns out to be true. As all this move looks like to me. Is Snyder/Allen trying to cover their asses for not signing Kirk not once, but twice.

If I had to graph it out based upon what a lot of folks, article writers and pundits are saying about Smith being better it would look something like this. (mind you, I believe that there is essentially no difference between the two)

This is what Smith gives you:

th

...And this is what Kirk gives you:

th

I tried to give as fair a representation as I could considering the varies descriptions that I've seen and or read in the last two days.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alright, look:

The Redskins screwed up royally when they had the chance to sign KC for the long term, and then promptly lowballed him.

THAT'S where they lost KC.

This trade is pretty fucking bad.
Alex Smith, at best, is NOT significantly better than KC. He just isnt. He chokes bigtime in the playoffs. He can't hit a deep ball. He had ONE good year.
So to move laterally, we gave up Kendall Fuller. And we STILL don't have a long term solution at qb.

This trade is what happens when your front office has seemingly no long term planning skills whatsoever. None.
Somebody even adequately skilled at long term planning would recognize that even if KC had "one good season" when he did, and not much more, that it was likely that (due to work ethic, being a stand up guy, desire to be great, etc) KC was going to improve.

I hate feeling resigned to the fact that the Redskins are destined for mediocrity for the near future. It's frustrating, as a fan, that the Caps are the only well managed team in DMV. Nats, Wiz, O's, Redskins - all mismanaged by idiots.

sigh.

you are not realizing the fact that we had no leverage going into the KC contract negoations. We now have ALex smith for 4 more years. It gives us plenty of time to find a new young QB to groom. I cant see how Fuller is more valuable then Smith right now. We were in a bad situation and now we ended up with Smith for 4 more years. NOt a bad trade at all considering the circumstances we were in going into FA.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The FO made a great move b/c it knew we were losing KC to Fa this year. Doubting ALex Smith talent is just wrong. I like KC but his price tag is way too high for my liking.
I'd agree with you if this was a new FO regime that was handed the Cousins situation, but Snyder and Allen created this mess, so they shouldn't be patted on the back for cleaning it up. They did the best they could of a bad situation that they put themselves in to begin with. This move is just damage control--it's good damage control, but that is what it is.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,521.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thought this was the one in the NFL forum. There must be like 10-15 of these.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You aren’t gonna find a bigger Fuller fan on here, I promise you. I’ve been following the guy since he was playing HS ball in the Baltimore area. He (and his 3 brothers) were model guys and great players for VT.

That being said... there are a lot of unknowns, including injury history. We also thought Breeland would be a 10 year all pro after his 1st season too... and he still might!

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they made a stupid move and smith is no better then KC at best , he is check down charlie . they could have signed another FA for about the same price and kept our good young qb and the pick

it was a stupid move only a BA nut hugger would love

Ok genius, what other starting caliber QB could they have signed for what they got Smith for?? And to be fair, KC isn’t exactly “young” wrt QBs, more like a middle aged man. You guys act like we traded a 25 year old for a 27 year old.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

True. And that’s kind of what they did. They rolled the dice and lost. They weren’t going to pay KC what he thought he was worth.

Serious question for @skinsdad62 @gkekoa @Sharkinva @j_y19 and some of you others. Seeing that either KC wasn’t going to sign a LTD or we wasn’t going to offer him one...

Would you have rather the FO made this move??? Or roll into the season with Colt and a 1st or 2nd round QB??

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True. And that’s kind of what they did. They rolled the dice and lost. They weren’t going to pay KC what he thought he was worth.

Serious question for @skinsdad62 @gkekoa @Sharkinva @j_y19 and some of you others. Seeing that either KC wasn’t going to sign a LTD or we wasn’t going to offer him one...

Would you have rather the FO made this move??? Or roll into the season with Colt and a 1st or 2nd round QB??

sign a FA which wouldnt have cost us any picks and we keep fuller . i dont mind alex smith the player as a place holder i mind the trade capitol we gave up for him when a just a good option was available and for a similar or even less price

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Got to agree with @skinsdad62 here.

If they knew they were not going to be able to sign Kirk long term (for what ever reason). I would have preferred they simply sign a Veteran place holder, actually SCOUT a rookie to be groomed, and keep Fuller and the 3rd rounder. I forget which article said it, but the Redskins are like crappy stock investors, always overpaying for a player AFTER he has developed. And no mistake, we have over payed for Cousins the past two years, and we are going to over pay for Smith at this point. We are basically rolling with Smith on a 5 year $111M contract.

And I do kind of mind Smith as a place holder because we basically went out and got an older version of Cousins who just happened to have a career year last year. this was a save face move and nothing more. We gave up too much for what we get in return unless Smith brings us a Lombardi.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok genius, what other starting caliber QB could they have signed for what they got Smith for?? And to be fair, KC isn’t exactly “young” wrt QBs, more like a middle aged man. You guys act like we traded a 25 year old for a 27 year old.

ok genius keep up i have mentioned a shit ton of them go back and read " lets have some legit plans to replace KC " and then get back to me KC is entering his prime years AS is entering his decline

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ok genius keep up i have mentioned a shit ton of them go back and read " lets have some legit plans to replace KC " and then get back to me KC is entering his prime years AS is entering his decline

@skinsdad62 I am detecting a level of begrudged support for this move from certain posters, not because they are thrilled with the move or the player.. but because for months (years?) now we have been told we would be better with almost any one over Cousins, we would save GOOBS of cap space by moving on from Cousins.

I think a lot of these guys thought we would some how manage to deal Cousins, draft that shiny new rookie and all would be right because we could also go out and spend freely in FA.

Reality has not sunk in yet that we got an older QB, didn't save the tons of cap space, and also tanked any realistic idea of drafting that shiny new rookie.

But they got to stick with it now.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@skinsdad62 I am detecting a level of begrudged support for this move from certain posters, not because they are thrilled with the move or the player.. but because for months (years?) now we have been told we would be better with almost any one over Cousins, we would save GOOBS of cap space by moving on from Cousins.

I think a lot of these guys thought we would some how manage to deal Cousins, draft that shiny new rookie and all would be right because we could also go out and spend freely in FA.

Reality has not sunk in yet that we got an older QB, didn't save the tons of cap space, and also tanked any realistic idea of drafting that shiny new rookie.

But they got to stick with it now.

that is why they are ABCers , and have been even though they didnt have the sack to admit it . very little of what they said happened , cap savings (only about 5 mil ) that gets us a quality special teams guy or a BU long snapper (sarcasm )

we would get a younger better qb we got and older version of a guy who cant carry a team which they bitched about

we could focus on building a better defense , we gave up our best young CB option and starting slot guy , we are losing another starting young CB (because that paltry 5 mil savings isnt enough to retain him ) and our starting ILB . thats 3 top end starters gone

now i am to buy that FM and hosley give me top 6 PFF rating performance ? or better ? and we havent talked about depth at the position either which with our health issues it becomes a problem

we lose a 3rd rounder which could have been applied to said lacking defense or wr or RB or LG so another issue goes unaddressed while the team reinvents the wheel

the thing is alex smith is a decent qb but we way overpaid to get him when other options were available

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the thing is alex smith is a decent qb but we way overpaid to get him when other options were available

Bruce would rather over pay for some one elses left overs every time.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hell no. They shouldn’t have traded for Alex Smith. If they were hell bent on trading, they should have gone McCarron depending on tender.

Every QB coming out of Minnesota is preferable to the trade we made and the contract given.

Rolling with McCoy was preferable to this trade.

Now let me pose a question...

Last season fifty million was offered KC in guaranteed money while he was already under contract for 24 million.

This season, 70 million is offered to Smith in guaranteed money while he was under contract for only 17 million.

So my question...WTF?

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell no. They shouldn’t have traded for Alex Smith. If they were hell bent on trading, they should have gone McCarron depending on tender.

Every QB coming out of Minnesota is preferable to the trade we made and the contract given.

Rolling with McCoy was preferable to this trade.

Now let me pose a question...

Last season fifty million was offered KC in guaranteed money while he was already under contract for 24 million.

This season, 70 million is offered to Smith in guaranteed money while he was under contract for only 17 million.

So my question...WTF?

This is what happens when you are willing to do what ever it takes to NOT have to sign the guy you have.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd agree with you if this was a new FO regime that was handed the Cousins situation, but Snyder and Allen created this mess, so they shouldn't be patted on the back for cleaning it up. They did the best they could of a bad situation that they put themselves in to begin with. This move is just damage control--it's good damage control, but that is what it is.

right. you have to look at right now. the past is the past. for right now its a good move considering the situation.

Buffalo_Nickel_1

Hoopla Cash
$ 268.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kirk wants 28-30 mill a year we are paying Alex 17 million a year with a chance to make 23 mill a year