• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Alex Smith traded to Skins

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They would be in line to receive a third-round compensatory pick in the 2019 draft, but that will happen only if Snyder sits out free agency and doesn't sign any players who will cancel out the Cousins comp pick. Doing that would require levels of patience and forward thinking this organization simply hasn't shown.

You think the Skins FO can restrain itself from signing qualifying FAs this offseason? Signing fewer qualifying FAs then you lose will be a new thing for the Skins--I'm not sure they can do it. Which FAs you expect to lose has to be balanced against how many FAs you bring in. Step one is signing fewer FAs than you lose.

Then again, since trades and resigning your own don't count against the comp formula, maybe this move shows you Skins fans that the FO actually does care about the comp poick. Trading for Smith doesn't effect the 3rd rd comp while signing a QB like Keenum or Bridgewater for even 18M/year could've cancelled out the comp pick.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You think the Skins FO can restrain itself from signing qualifying FAs this offseason? Signing fewer qualifying FAs then you lose will be a new thing for the Skins--I'm not sure they can do it. Which FAs you expect to lose has to be balanced against how many FAs you bring in. Step one is signing fewer FAs than you lose.

Then again, since trades and resigning your own don't count against the comp formula, maybe this move shows you Skins fans that the FO actually does care about the comp poick. Trading for Smith doesn't effect the 3rd rd comp while signing a QB like Keenum or Bridgewater for even 18M/year could've cancelled out the comp pick.

I figure it like this. The only way this trade looks good is if the Redskins improve AND Cousins fails at his new home.

Bruce will use the excuse of Cousins cost and how it would prevent us from signing free agents to justify the trade. Which is why I think they will be heavy players in FA. As for Quality of the free agents we sign, we are talking about Bruce. His talent eval skills are epically horrible. But we will pay a couple of guys.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I figure it like this. The only way this trade looks good is if the Redskins improve AND Cousins fails at his new home.

Bruce will use the excuse of Cousins cost and how it would prevent us from signing free agents to justify the trade. Which is why I think they will be heavy players in FA. As for Quality of the free agents we sign, we are talking about Bruce. His talent eval skills are epically horrible. But we will pay a couple of guys.
Yup. It appears the bank doors will be open again in DC. What lucky recipients will win the Redskin Lottery this year? We are going to pay someone. Just none of our own. They have to be on other teams to qualify for the Lottery.

Mitziman

i know you don't like to hear the truth, but...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,454.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am disappointed we gave up Fuller in the deal, but IMO that's what it was going to take to get the deal done. DENVER offered a better deal, but KC was not going to make that trade within the division...chew on that for a while.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Get the F off your soap box dad...Nothing in life is free as you know and something had to give. The Skins did NOT just sign a place holder. Years in the NFL are like dog years man, 5 years with AS is long term, not placeholder and AS is coming off a career year. There will be NO need to draft a QB in round 1 now. More likely rounds 4-7, keep Colt around 1 more year (not as if the organization minded McCoy as Cousins backup) and get the rookie up to speed so in year 2 he can back up Smith.

We have the same holes we had before trading for AS with exception of CB which the team knows it must replace. Holsey (I get he is no Fuller) and a draft pick, possible FA signing will have to do. Look, Fuller had a great year last year, who knows what that translates to moving forward. The Chiefs got the better end of the deal as far as assets go, the Skins got what they wanted which is a very good QB who can help you win now.

It's not all doom and gloom dad.
what soap box ? everything that has happened was fortold by me period . you traded avg qbs and now stand to lose both our startings CBS , our starting OLB and no damn windfall from the damn cap . KC had 3 straight career years buddy . and i am sorry but the fact is AS wont be getting better for sure

Buffalo_Nickel_1

Hoopla Cash
$ 268.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what soap box ? everything that has happened was fortold by me period . you traded avg qbs and now stand to lose both our startings CBS , our starting OLB and no damn windfall frtom the damn cap . KC had 3 straight career years buddy . and i am sorry but the fact is AS wont be getting better for sure
this deal is not about getting better it was about getting the best qb we could because both sides new kirk was gone the more you understand this you will be happy and move foward. i dont think alex will take us to the superbowl what it does is gives us a instant starter since we lost ours to greed and money

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this deal is not about getting better it was about getting the best qb we could because both sides new kirk was gone the more you understand this you will be happy and move foward. i dont think alex will take us to the superbowl what it does is gives us a instant starter since we lost ours to greed and money
coach we got worse to tread water ? greed had nothing to do with this , our FO botched this i was right all along about the FO and how they would screw this up

coach why make a move that doesnt make us better ? thats just plain dumb

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
coach we got worse to tread water ? greed had nothing to do with this , our FO botched this i was right all along about the FO and how they would screw this up

coach why make a move that doesnt make us better ? thats just plain dumb

The FO made a great move b/c it knew we were losing KC to Fa this year. Doubting ALex Smith talent is just wrong. I like KC but his price tag is way too high for my liking.

Buffalo_Nickel_1

Hoopla Cash
$ 268.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kirk was not going to sign .Kirk was not going to sign kirk was not going to sign kirk was not going to sign how clear is this Alex does not make us worse we got a good vet to fill the of hole we will draft a qb but not in first rd

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The FO made a great move b/c it knew we were losing KC to Fa this year. Doubting ALex Smith talent is just wrong. I like KC but his price tag is way too high for my liking.
they made a stupid move and smith is no better then KC at best , he is check down charlie . they could have signed another FA for about the same price and kept our good young qb and the pick

it was a stupid move only a BA nut hugger would love

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, Smith has agreed to a 4 year extension ($70+M guaranteed) with us starting in 2019. So we have 5 years to pay for this mistake.

Hoodwinked by Andy Reid again.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hoodwinked by Andy Reid again.

NO no no!!!!

We just won a MAJOR victory off the field. This move makes all others pale in comparison.

Last edited:

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
dean thinks its a great move he thinks we got the best of the deal . dean loves the old way of doing things

chillerdab

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alright, look:

The Redskins screwed up royally when they had the chance to sign KC for the long term, and then promptly lowballed him.

THAT'S where they lost KC.

This trade is pretty fucking bad.
Alex Smith, at best, is NOT significantly better than KC. He just isnt. He chokes bigtime in the playoffs. He can't hit a deep ball. He had ONE good year.
So to move laterally, we gave up Kendall Fuller. And we STILL don't have a long term solution at qb.

This trade is what happens when your front office has seemingly no long term planning skills whatsoever. None.
Somebody even adequately skilled at long term planning would recognize that even if KC had "one good season" when he did, and not much more, that it was likely that (due to work ethic, being a stand up guy, desire to be great, etc) KC was going to improve.

I hate feeling resigned to the fact that the Redskins are destined for mediocrity for the near future. It's frustrating, as a fan, that the Caps are the only well managed team in DMV. Nats, Wiz, O's, Redskins - all mismanaged by idiots.

sigh.

chillerdab

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Part 2:

Unlike the majority of you, I think the BEST thing to do in round 1 would be to draft a qb. First of all, we have no idea how long Alex Smith will actually play his special kind of uninspiring, noodle-armed, no-balls, "safe" qb play to begin with.

If he regresses to his mean, than it would be easy to argue that the redskins would be better off going with McCoy and a rookie.

Second of all, there is probably not a stud DT that would justify taking at 13, nor a stud LB, and the stud RB is going to be long gone by then.

I'm wondering if the heisman winner with the questionable character, whose name escapes me (I don't follow college football at all) would be the best pick then.

If anything, he can sit behind a competent, although boring as fuck qb and learn how to be boring as fuck - but not turnover prone.

Joy.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If a move is not about getting better why make it? I've read a couple times already in some articles that Alex is a better QB than Kirk. I don't agree with that sentiment, but I hope it turns out to be true. As all this move looks like to me. Is Snyder/Allen trying to cover their asses for not signing Kirk not once, but twice.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If a move is not about getting better why make it? I've read a couple times already in some articles that Alex is a better QB than Kirk. I don't agree with that sentiment, but I hope it turns out to be true. As all this move looks like to me. Is Snyder/Allen trying to cover their asses for not signing Kirk not once, but twice.

Breed... you are being entirely too logical. Did you forget to take your Bruceknowsall pills today??