• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Alex Smith traded to Skins

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely hate that my boy Fuller was traded. There had to have been some other starter that was expendable. I have a feeling KC said we want KF or it’s a no deal. If we can get something in return for Cousins, then this loss will be much more bearable.

As far as the QB goes, nothing changes. They are basically the same guy. AS is older, but cheaper too. Just as good as KC IMO. Can spend that extra $$$ elsewhere while continuing to build the team while drafting and grooming a replacement over the next few years.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we have to face the fact that there was no way Kirk was going to sign with us.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely hate that my boy Fuller was traded. There had to have been some other starter that was expendable. I have a feeling KC said we want KF or it’s a no deal. If we can get something in return for Cousins, then this loss will be much more bearable.

As far as the QB goes, nothing changes. They are basically the same guy. AS is older, but cheaper too. Just as good as KC IMO. Can spend that extra $$$ elsewhere while continuing to build the team while drafting and grooming a replacement over the next few years.

SO with that EXTRA cap space of $4-6M we now need a starting CB to add to these other pieces we needed. But hey we didnt pay Cousins so its a win in the books as far as Bruce is concerned.

And we wont get a thing for Cousins in return because as of the 14th we wont own his rights unless we tag him which would be beyond stupid simply for the fact that Kirk would simply sign it and take his $34M ti ride the bench.

Scratch that.. we will get a 3rd in 2019... provided Bruce doesnt go hog wild in FA with all the cap dollars we saved by not signing Cousins... All $4M of it.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In fact, schefter is now reporting that the franchise never reached out to cousins or his agent at all since the end of the season. So that tells you they never intended on trying to sign him, not the other way around.

Give it time, Bruce will spin it that they were in constant contact with Kurt.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huge get for you guys.

I was all ready to laugh at your QB for the next decade.

After completely botching the Kirk cousins situation in a befuddling manner this is basically the best thing you could have done.

I am disappointed.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow just read some of this thread.

:L

Some of you don't deserve QBs as good as Kirk Cousins and Alex Smith.

You deserve the Jason Campbells, Patrick Ramseys, Colt MCCoys, and Robert Griffins.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SO with that EXTRA cap space of $4-6M we now need a starting CB to add to these other pieces we needed. But hey we didnt pay Cousins so its a win in the books as far as Bruce is concerned.

And we wont get a thing for Cousins in return because as of the 14th we wont own his rights unless we tag him which would be beyond stupid simply for the fact that Kirk would simply sign it and take his $34M ti ride the bench.

Scratch that.. we will get a 3rd in 2019... provided Bruce doesnt go hog wild in FA with all the cap dollars we saved by not signing Cousins... All $4M of it.

Yeah. Maybe we won’t get much of anything. But as some others have said, this may have been best case scenario wrt the QB situation. Smith is as good as Cousins. Not sure if KC would have signed under almost any circumstance. The front office gambled in the KC situation and lost. It is what it is. Time to move on. I don’t think this will set us back much, if at all. Hate losing Fuller, but he isn’t irreplaceable.

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huge get for you guys.

After completely botching the Kirk cousins situation in a befuddling manner this is basically the best thing you could have done.

I am disappointed.

You should be happy.

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
$70M in guarantees is not like he would be making minimum wage.

Kirk is going to go where he gets paid well, but also has a shot at winning going forward.

My fear now is that they STILL draft a QB in the 1st round after extending Smith.

Bruce aint done fucking this thing up yet by a long shot.
What's done is done. KC by ALL reports was NOT signing a contract in WASH. To get something, you have to give up something valuable. The pick was fair, Fuller was over the top. I see KC placing Fuller at corner opposite Peters to form a very good tandem for the Chiefs. Holsey and another rookie will likely replace Fuller in the slot. AS was as good as the Skins could get to replace Cousins for the immediate future. He gives you a chance to win now with pieces around him. (Yes, Kirk but a tad better, more seasoned as Lou Riddick says) and he didn't have a bad year last year with his highest QBR, over 4K yards, 26TD, 5 int. Dude protects the football period. On offense, a true caliber #1 WR, a real RB and LG and we should be set. I know Sprinkle is on the roster but drafting another TE would not hurt in later rounds.

No QB will be drafted before the 3rd and more likely in rounds 4-7 now. Build the defense through the draft but start with resigning Z. Brown. Defense, defense, defense...

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huge get for you guys.

I am disappointed.

Would've been nice to keep Fuller. I think he's gonna be a baller.

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well lets take stock we paid out 71 mil in guarantees to a placeholder 33 yr old qb and we lost the best slot corner in the game and young building block for the defense

now we will draft a qb at 13 and have holes at DT RB WR ILB LG and now CB

and the abcer's supposed windfall in cap savings took a major dump

but shark and i were the paraniod dumb asses
Get the F off your soap box dad...Nothing in life is free as you know and something had to give. The Skins did NOT just sign a place holder. Years in the NFL are like dog years man, 5 years with AS is long term, not placeholder and AS is coming off a career year. There will be NO need to draft a QB in round 1 now. More likely rounds 4-7, keep Colt around 1 more year (not as if the organization minded McCoy as Cousins backup) and get the rookie up to speed so in year 2 he can back up Smith.

We have the same holes we had before trading for AS with exception of CB which the team knows it must replace. Holsey (I get he is no Fuller) and a draft pick, possible FA signing will have to do. Look, Fuller had a great year last year, who knows what that translates to moving forward. The Chiefs got the better end of the deal as far as assets go, the Skins got what they wanted which is a very good QB who can help you win now.

It's not all doom and gloom dad.

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Get the F off your soap box dad...Nothing in life is free as you know and something had to give. The Skins did NOT just sign a place holder. Years in the NFL are like dog years man, 5 years with AS is long term, not placeholder and AS is coming off a career year. There will be NO need to draft a QB in round 1 now. More likely rounds 4-7, keep Colt around 1 more year (not as if the organization minded McCoy as Cousins backup) and get the rookie up to speed so in year 2 he can back up Smith.

We have the same holes we had before trading for AS with exception of CB which the team knows it must replace. Holsey (I get he is no Fuller) and a draft pick, possible FA signing will have to do. Look, Fuller had a great year last year, who knows what that translates to moving forward. The Chiefs got the better end of the deal as far as assets go, the Skins got what they wanted which is a very good QB who can help you win now.

It's not all doom and gloom dad.

We downgraded at QB.
We got older at QB.
We committed 71 mil to this worse and older QB.
We gave up a 3rd rounder and the best young slot CB in the NFL for this downgrade.
We'll now be stuck with no hope of a SB for the foreseeable future.

Doom and gloom is fair.

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We downgraded at QB.
We got older at QB.
We committed 71 mil to this worse and older QB.
We gave up a 3rd rounder and the best young slot CB in the NFL for this downgrade.
We'll now be stuck with no hope of a SB for the foreseeable future.

Doom and gloom is fair.
BS!

RedskinzDan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't realize we were able to do any trades at this time, I didn't think the trade period started until March. So, how official is everything? When does Smith new contract start or can it be delayed enough for us to tag and trade Kirk? If he walks and we get nothing, this is just embarrassing as hell. Signing Smith to a new contract was not necessary until after we dealt with tagging and trading Kirk. I'll wait until more details come out before I make final judgement. But the front office sure likes to make it hard for fans that do not live in the DC area to have a real reason to continue to support them.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Signing Smith to an extension means the Skins will let Cousins walk in free agency. As in, there won't be a tag-and-trade with Cousins. Those of you hoping for that can stop now. After paying KC 44M over the last 2 years, he will walk away in a month or so and the only thing the Skins will get out of it is a pick at the end of the 3rd rd in 2019. What really makes this a Front Office Faceplant is the fact that the Skins refused to trade Cousins last offseason when they could've gotten premium picks for him.

Don't get me wrong. Smith is not a bad QB at all. He's a more cautious version of Cousins with better mobility. That cautiousness makes him a safer player who'll prevent turnovers, but it also means he'll make fewer big plays. He's great throwing to RBs and TEs, and he likes WRs over the middle, but he isn't a guy that can throw the ball well on the outside, downfield into tight windows, or put up jump balls.

This trade essentially buys the Redskins some time, so they won't be under pressure to draft a QB early this year.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't realize we were able to do any trades at this time, I didn't think the trade period started until March. So, how official is everything? When does Smith new contract start or can it be delayed enough for us to tag and trade Kirk? If he walks and we get nothing, this is just embarrassing as hell. Signing Smith to a new contract was not necessary until after we dealt with tagging and trading Kirk. I'll wait until more details come out before I make final judgement. But the front office sure likes to make it hard for fans that do not live in the DC area to have a real reason to continue to support them.
Neither the trade nor Smith's extension are official. They can't be made official and binding until the league year begins in March.