• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Alex Smith traded to Skins

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cool. That makes sense. Thanks for explaining. What can we realistically get for him?

Depends on the underlying bidding war. I'm hearing that there were at least 6 teams vying for Smith so the urgency to get him our FO felt. Kirk will be an interest to at least that number of teams. Top picks right now are Denver, NY Jets and Cleveland.

Rowdy

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,828.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends on the underlying bidding war. I'm hearing that there were at least 6 teams vying for Smith so the urgency to get him our FO felt. Kirk will be an interest to at least that number of teams. Top picks right now are Denver, NY Jets and Cleveland.

Well, I hope you’re right. I’m in shock right now. The third I could live with, but not fuller

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reports are that Cousins wouldn't take calls from Bruce or Dan. That made this move a necessity. (There were no avenues to a contract negotiation) I guess his dad was right on point.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I hope you’re right. I’m in shock right now. The third I could live with, but not fuller

We'll see and I predict that it won't be a very long wait to see where he goes and what the compensation will be.

Rowdy

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,828.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reports are that Cousins wouldn't take calls from Bruce or Dan. That made this move a necessity. (There were no avenues to a contract negotiation) I guess his dad was right on point.

That’s fine, but the trade didn’t have to happen. Should’ve just went with one of the FA and drafted defense and a mid round qb

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That’s fine, but the trade didn’t have to happen. Should’ve just went with one of the FA and drafted defense and a mid round qb

If we're honest, the ONLY thing that makes the QB comparison close is Smith's age. If they were the same age, I really don't think that folks would be as upset as they are. The fuller inclusion just made things worse.

BTW: I agree with you if they wanted cheaper, however, I believe that Bruce thinks that this team is close with a few additions on defense and a good veteran QB.

Last edited:

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After digesting this thread in its entirety, I am going to take a moment to thank the sweet heavens above that Kevin Colbert is the Steelers' GM.

:pray:Heavenly father, I thank you for blessing the team I root for, with an otherwise competent general manager. Amen

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After digesting this thread in its entirety, I am going to take a moment to thank the sweet heavens above that Kevin Colbert is the Steelers' GM.

:pray:Heavenly father, I thank you for blessing the team I root for, with an otherwise competent general manager. Amen

I'll trade you our entire front office, the band and owner of the team for your GM straight up! Deal??

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If
If we're honest, the ONLY thing that makes the QB comparison close is Smith's age. If they were the same age, I really don't think that folks would be as upset as they are. The fuller inclusion just made things worse.

BTW: I agree with you if they wanted cheaper, however, I believe that Bruce thinks that this team is close with a few additions on defense and a good veteran QB.

Id be slightly less pissed. But still pissed. Hell you could take fuller out too and I'd still be pissed.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If

Id be slightly less pissed. But still pissed. Hell you could take fuller out too and I'd still be pissed.

I get that, but right now most reactions are visceral. We have Smith now and to me the biggest concern is his health. In head up play I give a very, very, slight edge to Smith (big key...IN THIS OFFENSE) I posted his stats in a new thread and that explains why I give him that.....again....very, very slight edge. (in this offense)

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
giphy.gif

Buffalo_Nickel_1

Hoopla Cash
$ 268.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
are defense sucks with or without fuller are team sucks with or without cousins lets move on im happy

Ritzarmy

RIP WLK Loving father, husband, & friend to ALL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,145.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just wish we didn’t win so many useless games this year so we could have drafted better then #13. We will get a lot of guys back healthy but we will lose a lot in FA. It’s going to be another wild free agency under Snyder.

Buffalo_Nickel_1

Hoopla Cash
$ 268.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can understand people's anger about this deal but but it's not like we are lights out with fuller and Kirk I'm not worried at all .. i think broncos are wanr him so bad we will trade kirk so denver will not get in a biding war

Buffalo_Nickel_1

Hoopla Cash
$ 268.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did we get better who knows did we get worse who knows and to the future tellers that are in here time to open a 1900 hotline

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The drafting of Moreau make Fuller expendable. I still think Breeland leaves. What you guys don't realize is that KC would have never signed a long term deal here. Plus the number was probably close to 30M per year. Im not that pissed at this deal at all. We get a high efficient QB with great experience. Plus he is mobile. We will get another 4 years out of him. The 3rd round pick was a bit much but rumors but we will get it back in 2019 for losing KC.

IM surprised but I see why the deal was done.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Using the transition tag does nothing but give you seven days to match any offer a player signs.

Franchising Cousins & hoping to trade him would be suicide. Unless the Redskins are going the mutually assured destruction route. The minute the franchise tag is offered, the money hits the cap. And a team can't trade player who is franchised unless he signs the tag contract. I assume bridges have burned, meaning Cousins would do no favors for the Redskins by signing the tag & allowing them to dictate where he plays in 2018.

So, sure the Redskins can tag, but he could refuse to sign, thus leaving the team holding a cap hit till they rescind before July 15th. Or worse, the team calls his bluff by not rescinding the tag, Cousins waits till right before opening day to sign it. It would just be a giant clusterfuck for the team.

Also, using the non-exclusive tag won't work either. What team would be willing to pay the price, or any price, knowing the situation the Redskins are in?

It's better all around if the Redskins just move on from Cousins & recoup a 3rd round compensation pick in 2019 when he signs with a team.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The drafting of Moreau make Fuller expendable. I still think Breeland leaves. What you guys don't realize is that KC would have never signed a long term deal here. Plus the number was probably close to 30M per year. Im not that pissed at this deal at all. We get a high efficient QB with great experience. Plus he is mobile. We will get another 4 years out of him. The 3rd round pick was a bit much but rumors but we will get it back in 2019 for losing KC.

IM surprised but I see why the deal was done.
Well, no surprise here at your response. You continue to claim that Cousins would not sign here. How do you know that? In fact, schefter is now reporting that the franchise never reached out to cousins or his agent at all since the end of the season. So that tells you they never intended on trying to sign him, not the other way around.

If you think Smith will be this team’s qb for the next 4 years, you are smoking something.