• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Alex Smith traded to Skins

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True. And that’s kind of what they did. They rolled the dice and lost. They weren’t going to pay KC what he thought he was worth.

Serious question for @skinsdad62 @gkekoa @Sharkinva @j_y19 and some of you others. Seeing that either KC wasn’t going to sign a LTD or we wasn’t going to offer him one...

Would you rather have the FO made this move??? Or roll into the season with Colt and a 1st or 2nd round QB??

No. I don't trust Colt to last a half a season. This was a better move imo.

My hope is that the improvements we saw in Alex's game last year continue into next year.

This move wasn't a shock per se.The thing that hurt was losing Fuller. He, at least imo, was the best young DB we had. I think Fabian can be a baller as well, but Fuller more than any other young non-starting DB showed he can be a good one.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It was the money

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are two separate moves. F for one. A for the other. You can link them and average them out if you want, but that does not deal with the reality you all had entered at the end of the Kirk Cousins era. A cleveland browns existence. You all were saved from that fate. There is plenty of value in avoiding that.

I would call it an F- on the whole Cousins thing

A tentative C on the Smith move. Smith MIGHT be a smidge better than Cousins. But that remains to be seen once he gets into DC. We gave up too much for him based on us giving up a good young player and a draft pick in the top 100 of the draft. And to top it off, the amount of cap space saved is not NEARLY the bonanza many expected from moving on from Cousins.

At the end of the day, even ignoring the Cousins part, this is another typical Snyder/Allen/Cerrato type move. Go after the former first rounder who did well elsewhere when he is on the north side of 30, give up alot to get him, and proclaim we won.

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You realize this isnt just me saying this right? He graded as the top slot corner by 2 different ranking metrics last season. Even if you dont think hes the best hes a 22 year old very good corner beloved by coaching staff and teammates. You dont give that up (plus a 3rd rounder) to downgrade and get older at QB and commit to mediocrity rather than a shot at a SB.

It is fans like you who will NEVER get off the notion that in fact, this is a business, its not personal. It takes something valuable to get value in return. Sure, Fuller graded out "the best" at slot coverage this year. That is awesome, great teammate and great dude from all indications and played extremely well in 2017 imo. To ensure AS was available to WASH, KF was the insurance to close this deal. It sucks losing Fuller however, our QB situation, whether you like it or not, (I love Cousins) had to be resolved before March 14th. Guess what, Cousins/Agent were not playing, at all. In all likelihood, if the tag was placed, Cousins would have signed it and why not. He and his agent gave no indication they even wanted to deal at this point, (as bad of an organization that all seem to think we are, me included) the brass had to maneuver quickly to sign what they feel is a long term option with a chance to win (likely not the SB) now. This is the alternative to drafting a rookie and starting a rebuild. That's really how you have to look at this transaction because while many including yourself say WASH paid too much for the same QB, most experts deemed necessary to complete the trade. (Casserly being one of those) By the way, AS is a better QB currently than Cousins, numbers don't lie. Cousins could possibly out perform and surpass AS numbers in the future making him finish his career as a better QB than Smith. Time shall tell.

HTTR!

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would call it an F- on the whole Cousins thing

A tentative C on the Smith move. Smith MIGHT be a smidge better than Cousins. But that remains to be seen once he gets into DC. We gave up too much for him based on us giving up a good young player and a draft pick in the top 100 of the draft. And to top it off, the amount of cap space saved is not NEARLY the bonanza many expected from moving on from Cousins.

At the end of the day, even ignoring the Cousins part, this is another typical Snyder/Allen/Cerrato type move. Go after the former first rounder who did well elsewhere when he is on the north side of 30, give up alot to get him, and proclaim we won.
Man you deserve a Browns QB year so bad.

Alex Smith is amazing compared to all of your non-Cousins QBs from the recent past.

Let Cousins go from your mind. He doesn't exist past 2017 for you.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It was the money

The Broncos offered Talib eh and the Browns multiple draft picks. That bodes well for Kirk who's life is so bright he's gotta be wearing shades right now.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Alex Smith is amazing compared to all of your non-Cousins QBs from the recent past.

So basically, he is better than every QB we have had (Other than Cousins that is). So I should be thrilled we got him??

This move is what we got because our front office couldnt accept we had a good QB . So they drove good QB out the door.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So basically, he is better than every QB we have had (Other than Cousins that is). So I should be thrilled we got him??

This move is what we got because our front office couldnt accept we had a good QB . So they drove good QB out the door.
Irrelevant.

Here's the reality of the situation
1. Cousins didn't exist.
2. Now what?

Go...

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Irrelevant.

Here's the reality of the situation
1. Cousins didn't exist.
2. Now what?

Go...

Roll with McCoy, draft Rudolph in the 2nd round and build from there.

Instead, they panicked and over extended as they always do. They threw resources at a former #1 over all pick that did OK in some one elses system because it looks better ON PAPER. Classic winning off the field as only Bruce Allen can do.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It was the money
Smith knew that considering his age this was his last chance for a big payday in the NFL. I don't blame him. That denver offered looked really good, but no way the Chiefs trade a player as good as Smith to a division rival.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Don't fool yourself, homey. Since the 1991, 1992 seasons when Mark Rypien started all 32 games. The Redskins have had had, I dunno, maybe 24, 25 different QBs. And only Gus Frorette (16 games in 1996), Brad Johnson (16 games in 1999), and Jason Campbell (32 games in 2008, 2009) were starters for a 16 game season or more. Till Cousins started every game from 2015-2017.

There's some Brown QB bad years in there trust me.

I do agree Alex Smith is amazing compared to 22 or 23 of those QBs. So was Kirk Cousins though and I'm of a mind that AS is really no better than Kirk. Over the last 3 seasons Kirk has improved every year imo, arguably moreso than any player in football, again, imo. And the one player who can be compared to Cousins far as making improvement last year is Alex Smith.

Not that matters as what's done is done and comparisons won't change anything, but the only player Alex Smith should be compared to is Kirk Cousins. Far as Washington Redskins QBs over the last 25 years or so goes.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Roll with McCoy, draft Rudolph in the 2nd round and build from there.

Instead, they panicked and over extended as they always do. They threw resources at a former #1 over all pick that did OK in some one elses system because it looks better ON PAPER. Classic winning off the field as only Bruce Allen can do.

I don’t recall if it was you and/or sdad, but some said we wouldn’t win maybe 3 or 4 games tops with Colt. And Rudolph, I like him a lot, but he wouldn’t be ready for 2-3 years at best...you’ve even said that any QB wouldn’t be productive for awhile and it’s a total crapshoot...which I agree.

So you would rather take a major step back with this team and at the QB position....rather than more likely at least maintain the status quo?? :puzzled:

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t recall if it was you and/or sdad, but some said we wouldn’t win maybe 3 or 4 games tops with Colt. And Rudolph, I like him a lot, but he wouldn’t be ready for 2-3 years at best...you’ve even said that any QB wouldn’t be productive for awhile and it’s a total crapshoot...which I agree.

So you would rather take a major step back with this team and at the QB position....rather than more likely at least maintain the status quo?? :puzzled:

It was both dad and Shark. And I agree with them.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Again my beef is not so much with getting Smith as it is that we just laid out major cash, gave up a player and a pick to as you so adequately put it

Maintain Status Quo.

I had accepted at the end of the 2017 season that there was only about a 5% chance Cousins would be back, and even then only for one year. I was fine with starting over. I dont expect us to light things up with McCoy.

But basically we just made Alex Smith one of the top ten highest paid QBs to once again maintain Status Quo. And this was an AWESOME idea in your book??

If the choice were, pay Alex Smith like he is going to get paid, throw in a pick and a player

or

Ride with Colt expecting to finish worse, but actually build the rest of the team.....

I choose the latter.

But once again, this move was about saving face and winning off the field. And I guess you cant put a price tag on that now can you?

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is fans like you who will NEVER get off the notion that in fact, this is a business, its not personal. It takes something valuable to get value in return. Sure, Fuller graded out "the best" at slot coverage this year. That is awesome, great teammate and great dude from all indications and played extremely well in 2017 imo. To ensure AS was available to WASH, KF was the insurance to close this deal. It sucks losing Fuller however, our QB situation, whether you like it or not, (I love Cousins) had to be resolved before March 14th. Guess what, Cousins/Agent were not playing, at all. In all likelihood, if the tag was placed, Cousins would have signed it and why not. He and his agent gave no indication they even wanted to deal at this point, (as bad of an organization that all seem to think we are, me included) the brass had to maneuver quickly to sign what they feel is a long term option with a chance to win (likely not the SB) now. This is the alternative to drafting a rookie and starting a rebuild. That's really how you have to look at this transaction because while many including yourself say WASH paid too much for the same QB, most experts deemed necessary to complete the trade. (Casserly being one of those) By the way, AS is a better QB currently than Cousins, numbers don't lie. Cousins could possibly out perform and surpass AS numbers in the future making him finish his career as a better QB than Smith. Time shall tell.

HTTR!

its people like you who dont understand the simple basics , why give up a player (a good young one ) and a draft pick when you simply didnt have to? there are FA qbs just as good as smith that we could have signed and before you ask me who the thread "lets have a legit plan to replace KC " spells them all out

the guy is 34 and he isnt getting better and if we had to draft a qb as well so be it . most likely we will draft one anyway so that theory is out the window as well

it was a stupid trade and if most "experts " thought it was needed to complete the trade then how about simpy not doing it because the price was to high

alex smith isnt better then KC either but KC was out the door anyway

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again my beef is not so much with getting Smith as it is that we just laid out major cash, gave up a player and a pick to as you so adequately put it

Maintain Status Quo.

I had accepted at the end of the 2017 season that there was only about a 5% chance Cousins would be back, and even then only for one year. I was fine with starting over. I dont expect us to light things up with McCoy.

But basically we just made Alex Smith one of the top ten highest paid QBs to once again maintain Status Quo. And this was an AWESOME idea in your book??

If the choice were, pay Alex Smith like he is going to get paid, throw in a pick and a player

or

Ride with Colt expecting to finish worse, but actually build the rest of the team.....

I choose the latter.

But once again, this move was about saving face and winning off the field. And I guess you cant put a price tag on that now can you?

Fair enough. For the record, I thought Colt could be skittle but better than that. I just figured that you probably wanted to continue in an upwards trajectory rather than go back to the NFL cellar for the next 3 years. And I never said AWESOME, I’m not ecstatic about what we gave up to get Smith. The FO did what they needed to do to given the circumstances. As as skins said, it’s the price of doing business. If what we need to give up to have an above average QB and continue to go forward is a measly 3rd round pick and a good, developing, yet still unproven 2nd year player, then I’m ok with it. I think that it isn’t as bad as some make it out to be. From the looks of it, some teams were willing to give up as much or more for Smith (in players and picks).

Last edited:

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
YOu know... I love it when people say things like

The way Cousins was handled wasnt personal, its just business.

If I worked for some one for six years, and 5 years in they still couldnt pronounce my name... to me that sounds kind of personal.

If Im being considered for a job, and the hiring manager goes out and tells a bold faced lie about what he was trying to pay me in order to save face.... that sounds kind of personal.

If the company would rather pay some one else AND reorganize another department rather than even talk to me about the position...thats kinda personal.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough. I just figured that you probably wanted to continue in an upwards trajectory rather than go back to the NFL cellar for the next 3 years... and I’m not ecstatic about what we gave up to get Smith. But if what we need to give up to have an above average QB and continue to go forward is a measly 3rd round pick and a good, developing, yet still unproven 2nd year player, then I think that it isn’t as bad as some make it work it the be. From the looks of it, some teams were willing to give up as much or more for Smith (in players and picks).

Please explain to me how maintaining the status quo at QB while also giving up resources in other areas is now all of a sudden going in an upward direction??

From most of the reports we are planning to give Smith $71M in guaranteed money. Did we save a little cap space?? Sure we did. But I will say it again, this move was more about saving a little face.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
YOu know... I love it when people say things like

The way Cousins was handled wasnt personal, its just business.

If I worked for some one for six years, and 5 years in they still couldnt pronounce my name... to me that sounds kind of personal.

If Im being considered for a job, and the hiring manager goes out and tells a bold faced lie about what he was trying to pay me in order to save face.... that sounds kind of personal.

If the company would rather pay some one else AND reorganize another department rather than even talk to me about the position...thats kinda personal.

You know, in hindsight. The Cousins situation wasn’t handled great. But I don’t think it was personal. There is some blame to go around to all parties.

But what happened/is happening is that Kirk was paid handsomely (amongst the best in the league) for a couple years. He was a professional and just went about his business and outperformed expectations, now he has the opportunity to go some where else and make even MORE $$$ some place where he will be adored (at least in the beginning). So good for him.

And maybe I am speaking for myself. But in the real world, if some employer is going to pay me top dollar while I build my resume and can move on somewhere else to make even MORE $$$. I’m ok with that. Of course you want to feel wanted, appreciated, have good management, all that stuff. But at the end of the day, it’s not the most important thing. I personally don’t need to be patted on the back and told how great I am.