• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Aldon Smith one year deal

Gold Rush 86

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,413.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Outside linebacker Aldon Smith and the 49ers agreed on Thursday to a restructured one-year contract that will pay his scheduled $9.754 million salary through a series of roster bonuses.

The new deal does not offer the 49ers any cap relief. And the benefit for Smith is that his willingness to rework his contract is a sign of good faith that he hopes will lead to a long-term extension to remain with the 49ers beyond the 2015 season.

I get why we did this but I hate that we didn't free up any cap space. We are hoping that Smith can stay on the field and out of trouble this season and then we can give him a big contract. But I was hoping we would sign him to a big contract now with stipulations and incentives in it so we could free up cap space for this season.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He can be huge for the team if he gets his head straight. Dockett, Smith, Smith and Dorsey could make a pretty good defensive line.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Outside linebacker Aldon Smith and the 49ers agreed on Thursday to a restructured one-year contract that will pay his scheduled $9.754 million salary through a series of roster bonuses.

The new deal does not offer the 49ers any cap relief. And the benefit for Smith is that his willingness to rework his contract is a sign of good faith that he hopes will lead to a long-term extension to remain with the 49ers beyond the 2015 season.

I get why we did this but I hate that we didn't free up any cap space. We are hoping that Smith can stay on the field and out of trouble this season and then we can give him a big contract. But I was hoping we would sign him to a big contract now with stipulations and incentives in it so we could free up cap space for this season.

Isn't anything that reduces the salary cap hit this year merely pushing it into future years?

Gold Rush 86

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,413.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't anything that reduces the salary cap hit this year merely pushing it into future years?

Yes but most contracts are like that. Sometimes contract are front loaded but most of the time they are back loaded. Also with NFL salaries going up every season that helps. Now im just more scared if Aldon has a really good year he is gonna get even more money next year than he would get right now.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes but most contracts are like that. Sometimes contract are front loaded but most of the time they are back loaded. Also with NFL salaries going up every season that helps. Now im just more scared if Aldon has a really good year he is gonna get even more money next year than he would get right now.

At the same time, if the 49ers gives him a long-term deal and he underperforms, what are the potential ramifications of that? You are right, contracts are backloaded. But you can only do that so much before you put yourself in cap hell and I suspect the 49ers are not far from that if they continue to kick the can down the road.

Gold Rush 86

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,413.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the same time, if the 49ers gives him a long-term deal and he underperforms, what are the potential ramifications of that? You are right, contracts are backloaded. But you can only do that so much before you put yourself in cap hell and I suspect the 49ers are not far from that if they continue to kick the can down the road.

Well thats why I fell 49ers should of given him a big contract that was incentive base and maybe something like what we did we Kaep were we could get out of the deal at anytime. Also a lot of the time in the NFL when a player reaches the end of their contract teams go to them and ask to restructure. They have no plan on paying the player all that money at the end. I mean just look at what Fitz was suppose to make this year. He was scheduled to make 23 million and took a paycut down to a 2 year deal worth 22 million.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well thats why I fell 49ers should of given him a big contract that was incentive base and maybe something like what we did we Kaep were we could get out of the deal at anytime. Also a lot of the time in the NFL when a player reaches the end of their contract teams go to them and ask to restructure. They have no plan on paying the player all that money at the end. I mean just look at what Fitz was suppose to make this year. He was scheduled to make 23 million and took a paycut down to a 2 year deal worth 22 million.
Yea, but Fitz's contract was an anchor on that team for many years. A lot of money tied up in a WR who didn't have the supporting cast to succeed until recently.

Gold Rush 86

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,413.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, but Fitz's contract was an anchor on that team for many years. A lot of money tied up in a WR who didn't have the supporting cast to succeed until recently.

Well Cobb and Maclin wont be getting Fitz type deals. Right now market value on both of these players are 5 years worth 50-60 million. I would be fine signing Cobb or Maclin for 5 years at 60 million. Lets just say it breaks down like this 2015 6 million, 2016 12 million, 2017 12 million, 2018 14 million, 2019 16 milion. By the time 2019 comes along you can ask them to restructure or if they dont you can cut them. Or who knows maybe by the time 2019 comes along 16 for a player like Maclin or Cobb if they are still producing is a deal.

49er4life1979

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Aldon's agent stated that all parties are working toward a goal of a long term deal. This was step one. For Aldon to bet on himself like this is very positive. The team has supported and worked with him in the past, so he does owe them. Very unselfish of Aldon to take a guaranteed contract and do this.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

good idea but then you need both sides to agree?

if I'm Aldon and already compromising this year, why should i compromise my future? Why would Aldon agree to this type of contract, when he could just play out what he had (no changes), and go elsewhere next season?

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope he keeps his nose clean. I also hope he can make impact plays like he used to...or does he need to be drunk to do that? We will see. He is betting on himself so we can't ask for more than that really.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope he keeps his nose clean. I also hope he can make impact plays like he used to...or does he need to be drunk to do that? We will see. He is betting on himself so we can't ask for more than that really.

He was supposedly in great shape last year, but he didn't look very effective in the pass rush. Hope it was just due to a lack of playing time and he can regain his form

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
49ers save 4.5 mill is cap. Good deal for 49ers.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I heard we save 4.5 because some of his salary turns into bonuses. I might be wrong but I think we save money.

articles said the 49ers don't save on the cap, but this makes it easier DURING this season.

Yeah, agree that since Aldon agreed to this, he's not likely to get in trouble anyway.

Gold Rush 86

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,413.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard we save 4.5 because some of his salary turns into bonuses. I might be wrong but I think we save money.

Smith signed a one year contract worth a maximum value of $9.754 million with the 49ers on March 6, 2015. The details of the contract are based on a report by Field Yates of ESPN. Smith will earn up to $1.1 million in offseason roster bonuses and can earn up to $5.1544 million in gameday roster bonuses. If Smith plays in 50% of the defensive snaps or records 8 sacks in 2015 he will earn a $2 million incentive.