• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

AL Central Discussion

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that was a very good team - Santana at the height of his prime. As you said- Liriano was fantastic at that point. I forgot about Joe Nathan - but yah- maybe the best closer in abseball then. I always like Brad Radke- nasty change- good vet- kind of gave me Charlie Nagy of the Twins vibes.

Yeah that was super disappointing. That A's team really wasnt good. Tigers ended up disposing of them no problem to go to World Series.

Thats most frustrating part. Could have had a fun battle with Central Tigers in the ALCS to rematch the regular season crown.

And the world series champion was that Cardinals team that had like 85 wins.

There was a path to literally winning it all. Didnt have to face the Yankees or any juggernaut. And we couldnt win 1 game lol

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone forgot to tell the Twins and Guardians that they both have tomorrow off.

Through 2.5 innings almost every hitter is having quick ABs as if they have somewhere to be in at 2 oclock.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone forgot to tell the Twins and Guardians that they both have tomorrow off.

Through 2.5 innings almost every hitter is having quick ABs as if they have somewhere to be in at 2 oclock.
Bibee reminds me of Gray a little bit. Bibee has a great feel for pitching even though he is only in his 2nd pro-season. Still a lot to learn and improve on- but he just flat out has a feel for pitching that not many rookies I have seen possess.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bibee reminds me of Gray a little bit. Bibee has a great feel for pitching even though he is only in his 2nd pro-season. Still a lot to learn and improve on- but he just flat out has a feel for pitching that not many rookies I have seen possess.

Yeah both guys have their slider/curvebal/change up combos on point today.

So to be fair to the hitters tough to have deep counts when most guys are throwing pitches with movment that are also either in the zone or right on it. Only a few true chase pitches so far.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gunnar Henderson is going to be the AL Roy- but it would be hard for me to see an argument where Bibee is not #2. I guess Yoshida and Casas are his closest competition and I think he is having a far better year then either. After today he is going to have an ERA right about 3.00 (maybe a little above or below) and about 125 IP....thats pretty darn valuable.

who was the last AL Rookie pitcher that had a better year than Bibee is having? It has been a while. Probably Fulmer in 2016- who really looks almost identical to Bibee in a lot of ways.

some other solid seasons- McClanahan, Manoah, Means, Ohtani (pitching- though Ohtani ROY is just kinda ridiculus), Kirby, Javier....

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is not a shot at Wiggy.

But this is why I was pumped to have Polanco back and hopefully healthy. Veteran bats are fucking massive when the season starts to matter. Polancos August has been incredible. Him and Kepler as the veteran main stays.

Meanwhile Correa is defense only. What a fucking putrid series for him. And we keep batting him behind Julien(walk machine), Polanco and Kepler(2 hits nightly).

Most bonkers offensive lineup strategy I have ever seen. Have the guy who leads MLB in DPs that cant hit with men on base. HIt behind the 3 guys who get on base.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is not a shot at Wiggy.

But this is why I was pumped to have Polanco back and hopefully healthy. Veteran bats are fucking massive when the season starts to matter. Polancos August has been incredible. Him and Kepler as the veteran main stays.

Meanwhile Correa is defense only. What a fucking putrid series for him. And we keep batting him behind Julien(walk machine), Polanco and Kepler(2 hits nightly).

Most bonkers offensive lineup strategy I have ever seen. Have the guy who leads MLB in DPs that cant hit with men on base. HIt behind the 3 guys who get on base.
not sure why Bo Naylor was not playing today after homering in 3 straight starts. This lineup at this point without Naylor is just so atrocious. Kwan was red-hot after the all star break but is now back to slumping. Obviously no Josh Naylor.

Manzardo better be a solution at 1B and/or DH with Josh Naylor- and they have to get a bat for the outfield. Even with the injuries the Guardians sitll have one of the best pitching staffs in baseball but the hitting is just not there.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not sure why Bo Naylor was not playing today after homering in 3 straight starts. This lineup at this point without Naylor is just so atrocious. Kwan was red-hot after the all star break but is now back to slumping. Obviously no Josh Naylor.

Manzardo better be a solution at 1B and/or DH with Josh Naylor- and they have to get a bat for the outfield. Even with the injuries the Guardians sitll have one of the best pitching staffs in baseball but the hitting is just not there.

Maybe cause its day game after night game and at least 3 games in a row. A lot of catchers get babied these days. Twins do it all the time

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a start by Gray. Hes really making a Cy Young push. Had the best FIP in the league enterting today too. Other metrics wont have him as high.

But ERA/FIP/WAR will have him in contention.

Its just bizarre how his control random leaves every 6th or 7th inning. He doesnt struggle just getting hit late in games. He just bizarely loses control even with low pitch counts. He nearly killed Laureano with a pitch. Got out of the inning though.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a start by Gray. Hes really making a Cy Young push. Had the best FIP in the league enterting today too. Other metrics wont have him as high.

Its just bizarre how his control random leaves every 6th or 7th inning. He doesnt struggle just getting hit late in games. He just bizarely loses control even with low pitch counts. He nearly killed Laureano with a pitch. Got out of the inning though.
only 2nd time since 2016 he has broke 150 innings.....be interesting to see how he holds up down the stretch and the playoffs. Gonna be 34 in November and hes not a big guy.

If I was the Twins I would not pay him a long term contract----I think 3 years 75 would be a reasonable offer- but he will probably get more. Even 3 yeras 75- is not without risk.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I bet he gets like 4 years about 100- maybe like 110-115....thats my guess. who knows though.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

hard to win Cy without double digit wins tho

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
going into today- Cole was #1 in the majors in WAR by over a full point for starting pitchers. He was #1 in ERA in the AL....#1 in IP....#3 in strikouts.

he of course could get blown up and make a race out of it--- but right now he is def. the heavy heavy favorite.

Yankees
Gerrit Cole
-210-180-225
Mariners
Luis Castillo
+280+250+300
Blue Jays
Kevin Gausman
+700+600+600
Mariners
George Kirby
+1,600+3,000+2,000
Astros
Framber Valdez
+4,000+4,000+4,000
Twins
Pablo Lopez
+5,000+6,000+4,000
Rangers
Nathan Eovaldi
+6,500OTB+10,000
Twins
Sonny Gray
+7,500+8,000+8,000
Blue Jays
Jose Berrios
+20,000OTB+20,000

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its really said that you think the Twins at 69-63 are something to boast about. A team that cant win a playoff game to save its life, is going to lose its best pitcher in the offseason and is going to win the division with mid-eighties wins at best.

The Guardians won 93 games last year, a playoff series against Tampa and pushed the Yanks to 5 games. That would qualify as the best Twins season of the last 2 decades and it was not even top 5 for the Guardians.

Twins have absolutely nothing to boast about as easily the worst likely playoff team.

i mean even the Browns have won A (single) playoff game in the last 2 decades.

But I guess you gotta take your wins where you get them. lol.

What I am sure of is that the Guardians are currently the much superior overall franchise which we have seen over and over again.

There is 1 team that has ruled the Central since its creation and everyone knows who it is.
Ruling the A.L. Central = the tallest small market midget that will never win big

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hard to win Cy without double digit wins tho

That part of things has mostly gone out the window.

I think guys like Cole and Castillo having the gaudier strike out numbers and more innings will be the bigger key.

Still a month left.

My prediction is Cole gets it but it could be a good race.

Sonny entered with a 144 ERA+ while Cole is 146 and Castillo is 136.

Biggest issue for Sonny is while he has that way better FIP. Thats a stat that come seasons end doesnt matter much for voting. Because as nice as it says you pitched, the season is over and you are what your ERA says whether its lucky or unlucky.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Twins bullpen is so bad and I dont see any way we win a waiver claim for Moore or Lopez. Too many NL WC teams that will want them that have priority.

On the plus side, that 3 base runner inning had Ramirez bat. So we have a 1 run lead and dont have to face him I guess.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Polanco draws yet another walk to lead off inning.

Correa his 28th DP. It will not stop.

BAT HIM 6th or 7th. Im begging.