• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

AJ McCarron

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no, if you cant not be a dickhead and swear at ppl, then when you unrustle your jimmies, we'll talk

Wait...

You can't handle an "F word", and my jimmies are rustled? Lol

Grow up dude

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, Dalton in 2015. The year he got hurt and McCarron came in relief.

10-3 Record
25 TD's 7 INT's
66.1% CMP
106.2 QB Rating

So, a year earlier the Bengals sign Dalton to a huge contract. He then posts a season like this. He was 20-8-1 as the Bengals starter since signing the deal, and had just posted all-pro caliber numbers for 13 games before injury. You can't see how they weren't anxious to start over with a young/unproven QB in McCarron? Even if he was an intriguing prospect?

Rowdy

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,828.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Name one 100+ million dollar QB who has ever been beat out for a starting job.

HINT: Cutler got benched for one game, to make a point. Started the following week, and then started for two more seasons. lol. That's the best example you'll find.

Tony Romo

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tony Romo

I hate the Cowboys as much as any red blooded American. BUt Romo wasnt beat out of his job as starting QB of Mexico's team...

His ass just broke down.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tony Romo

There are examples. I was jumping the gun on that, no doubt. Not many, however, regarding a young QB in his prime. Coming off his best season.

Romo's another case where there were some extreme circumstances with back-to-back broken collarbones and then another long-term injury within a short span.

The underlying point here. Is that Cincy sticking with Dalton is not an indictment of McCarron. As he played very well, with absolutely zero experience. When thrust into a difficult situation.

Rowdy

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,828.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He should've been given a chance to win it back after he was healthy

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
pretty inexcusable that there were fans out there the last season or 2 that werent 100% behind Cousins, especially given the QB play the last 25+ years.

K.C. being the long term franchise qb getting what he deserves should have been backed 100%. Not supporting cousins pretty much makes those fans complicit with the incompetence in the Skins FO and almost justifies the decisions made by those morons.

Cmon. Up until now I have been 100% behind Cousins & by no means am I a Snyder or Allen fan. However I can understand how some fans may not have been 100% behind Cousins. He had & still has issues coming through in the clutch & some other issues. Not that big of a deal but again I would not crucify any fans for having a different take. Outside of NE, GB & NO there are fans that probably don't like the QBs of their teams no matter how crazy it might sound.

To suggest that they are complicit with the Skins FO decision on Cousins is laughable. The FO does whatever the fuck they like & don't consult the fans first - you should know that. Again -I was 100% behind keeping Cousins but what is done is done - you have to move on eventually. It almost sounds like some fans here want this team to fail just to prove some point. Not me - I can agree that the FO is not that great & perhaps the trade was not great yet still root for the Redskins and Alex Smith.

My loyalty for the Skins will never die despite Snyder, Allen or whatever. You can call me dumb, a puppet, a jerkoff or whatever - doesn't matter - I wish them nothing but the best - we will see.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cmon. Up until now I have been 100% behind Cousins & by no means am I a Snyder or Allen fan. However I can understand how some fans may not have been 100% behind Cousins. He had & still has issues coming through in the clutch & some other issues. Not that big of a deal but again I would not crucify any fans for having a different take. Outside of NE, GB & NO there are fans that probably don't like the QBs of their teams no matter how crazy it might sound.

To suggest that they are complicit with the Skins FO decision on Cousins is laughable. The FO does whatever the fuck they like & don't consult the fans first - you should know that. Again -I was 100% behind keeping Cousins but what is done is done - you have to move on eventually. It almost sounds like some fans here want this team to fail just to prove some point. Not me - I can agree that the FO is not that great & perhaps the trade was not great yet still root for the Redskins and Alex Smith.

My loyalty for the Skins will never die despite Snyder, Allen or whatever. You can call me dumb, a puppet, a jerkoff or whatever - doesn't matter - I wish them nothing but the best - we will see.

At some point you lose faith in the establishment and just pull for the individuals.

Dan and Bruce are the perfect reason to play fantasy football.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Odd thing to say so assuredly, about a guy who posted high-quality numbers in his only stint as a starter.

I suppose you thought the same about Jimmy G?

Steelers beat me to it but Matt Flynn and Matt Cassel come to mind. Three games is not enough to call a guy a sure fire starter.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steelers beat me to it but Matt Flynn and Matt Cassel come to mind. Three games is not enough to call a guy a sure fire starter.

Yeah, I've touched on this.

Flynn/Cassel are irrelevant.

If I list off busts out of college, does that mean you should never spend a high pick on making a college player your franchise QB? No. No, it does not. Those players have proven even less than a QB who has had success in 3-4 games like Jimmy G/McCarron.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I've touched on this.

Flynn/Cassel are irrelevant.

If I list off busts out of college, does that mean you should never spend a high pick on making a college player your franchise QB? No. No, it does not. Those players have proven even less than a QB who has had success in 3-4 games like Jimmy G/McCarron.

Slight difference between McCarron and that of Jimmy G though. Jimmy G's teams won with him in the game. He took a team that hadn't won but what 1 game all year and helped them close out the season on a 5-game winning streak. McCarron on the other hand took a team that was 10-2 before Dalton went down with injury and lost 3 of the next 5 games including their playoff game. The two wins he did have were against two of the worst teams in the NFL that season.

So if we are going to compare what they did in a few spot starts lets at least look at it and see that one elevated his team while the other absolutely harmed his team and their chances of winning. It was a step down from Dalton of all people. Yes Dalton was having a good year but still we are talking about an average at best QB. So I would say best case scenario when signing a guy like McCarron is a bottom-10 starter in the league.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Slight difference between McCarron and that of Jimmy G though. Jimmy G's teams won with him in the game. He took a team that hadn't won but what 1 game all year and helped them close out the season on a 5-game winning streak. McCarron on the other hand took a team that was 10-2 before Dalton went down with injury and lost 3 of the next 5 games including their playoff game. The two wins he did have were against two of the worst teams in the NFL that season.

So if we are going to compare what they did in a few spot starts lets at least look at it and see that one elevated his team while the other absolutely harmed his team and their chances of winning. It was a step down from Dalton of all people. Yes Dalton was having a good year but still we are talking about an average at best QB. So I would say best case scenario when signing a guy like McCarron is a bottom-10 starter in the league.

Dalton was playing out of his mind that year. 25 TD's 7 INT's 106 QB Rating 66% CMP

Secondly, Jimmy improving upon Brian Hoyer and CJ Beathard is not an accomplishment much worth noting. His record was impressive, he's a good QB. However, you cannot speak about McCarron not having the team perform as well as it did with Dalton. While completely looking the other way from the QB's Jimmy was replacing.

The team performed great with McCarron. McCarron was 2-1 in his 3 regular season starts. His one loss was on the road, in overtime vs the eventual SB champion Denver Broncos.

Let us also not forget that he was on the verge of winning the Bengals first playoff game in decades... something Dalton has never much come close to doing. It took (honestly) a top 3 implosion I have ever seen from a team, for them not to win that game. Had nothing to do with him either... McCarron TD drive to take lead with 2:00 left... Burfict INT with 1:50 left. Hill fumbles running the clock out. D allows Landry Jones to get to midfield, when they commit back-to-back fouls after the whistle.

His numbers speak for themselves. 2-1 record 6 TD's 2 INT's 853 yards 97.1 QB Rating 66% CMP... thrown into the fire late into a playoff push with zero prior NFL experience.

There is no such thing as a "surefire" bet. When we're talking about young QB's. However, to suggest he didn't earn a look from a team. That is very, very silly. To suggest not starting in 2016, is somehow an indictment of McCarron. Is very, very silly.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dalton was playing out of his mind that year. 25 TD's 7 INT's 106 QB Rating 66% CMP

Secondly, Jimmy improving upon Brian Hoyer and CJ Beathard is not an accomplishment much worth noting. His record was impressive, he's a good QB. However, you cannot speak about McCarron not having the team perform as well as it did with Dalton. While completely looking the other way from the QB's Jimmy was replacing.

The team performed great with McCarron. McCarron was 2-1 in his 3 regular season starts. His one loss was on the road, in overtime vs the eventual SB champion Denver Broncos.

Let us also not forget that he was on the verge of winning the Bengals first playoff game in decades... something Dalton has never much come close to doing. It took (honestly) a top 3 implosion I have ever seen from a team, for them not to win that game. Had nothing to do with him either... McCarron TD drive to take lead with 2:00 left... Burfict INT with 1:50 left. Hill fumbles running the clock out. D allows Landry Jones to get to midfield, when they commit back-to-back fouls after the whistle.

His numbers speak for themselves. 2-1 record 6 TD's 2 INT's 853 yards 97.1 QB Rating 66% CMP... thrown into the fire late into a playoff push with zero prior NFL experience.

There is no such thing as a "surefire" bet. When we're talking about young QB's. However, to suggest he didn't earn a look from a team. That is very, very silly. To suggest not starting in 2016, is somehow an indictment of McCarron. Is very, very silly.

I never said he didn't deserve a chance. I just don't think I would compare McCarron and his odds of becoming a good starter to that of Jimmy G. First off his two wins came with him throwing less than 200 yards if we want to get into stats. HE wasn't asked to do a whole lot. He leaned on the defense and had to complete a lot of passes just off play action as they kept working the run game. They were also playing two teams in the bottom-8 of the league in those games.

Now some team will give him a shot. I just wouldn't want it to be my team. I think he will show to be nothing more than a borderline starter if not just more of a career backup. Which hey that can be an important role as so many QB's go down with injury but I'm not signing him to some huge deal. He makes me think of when Brock Osweiler hit the open market. Had a couple of flashes but nothing that should get teams too excited about but because he plays QB he will get overpaid big time.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never said he didn't deserve a chance. I just don't think I would compare McCarron and his odds of becoming a good starter to that of Jimmy G. First off his two wins came with him throwing less than 200 yards if we want to get into stats. HE wasn't asked to do a whole lot. He leaned on the defense and had to complete a lot of passes just off play action as they kept working the run game. They were also playing two teams in the bottom-8 of the league in those games.

Now some team will give him a shot. I just wouldn't want it to be my team. I think he will show to be nothing more than a borderline starter if not just more of a career backup. Which hey that can be an important role as so many QB's go down with injury but I'm not signing him to some huge deal. He makes me think of when Brock Osweiler hit the open market. Had a couple of flashes but nothing that should get teams too excited about but because he plays QB he will get overpaid big time.

Well, overpaid is a relative term to position. He'll probably get a contract like Glennon got last year, which was 1 year guaranteed for 14 mil. With an option after that (which most certainly, the Bears will not be picking up... lol). People all made a fuss about how that was "overpaying"... However, in reality. If I remember correctly, of the 32 starting QB's heading into camp. He was only making more in 2017 than McCown, Tyrod Taylor and Brian Hoyer. It wasn't by much either.

People have somewhat of a skewed view of what "overpaying" for a QB is.

While it is true that McCarron didn't have as much asked of him as Dalton. I'm not sure how you can count that against him. What else would you expect when starting a QB with zero experience in December of a playoff push?

He still demonstrated an ability to make all of the throws, proved to be very efficient and as his numbers would indicate... he went above/beyond of what you would normally ask for from a young/super inexperienced backup QB.

I think McCarron deserves a look as much as any of these (also) unproven QB's who will go in the top half of the 1st round this year. That's all I am saying. I am not claiming to know whether or not how good he will be. Obviously, a lot of that has to do with the coaching staff he winds up with... etc...

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, overpaid is a relative term to position. He'll probably get a contract like Glennon got last year, which was 1 year guaranteed for 14 mil. With an option after that (which most certainly, the Bears will not be picking up... lol). People all made a fuss about how that was "overpaying"... However, in reality. If I remember correctly, of the 32 starting QB's heading into camp. He was only making more in 2017 than McCown, Tyrod Taylor and Brian Hoyer. It wasn't by much either.

People have somewhat of a skewed view of what "overpaying" for a QB is.

While it is true that McCarron didn't have as much asked of him as Dalton. I'm not sure how you can count that against him. What else would you expect when starting a QB with zero experience in December of a playoff push?

He still demonstrated an ability to make all of the throws, proved to be very efficient and as his numbers would indicate... he went above/beyond of what you would normally ask for from a young/super inexperienced backup QB.

I think McCarron deserves a look as much as any of these (also) unproven QB's who will go in the top half of the 1st round this year. That's all I am saying. I am not claiming to know whether or not how good he will be. Obviously, a lot of that has to do with the coaching staff he winds up with... etc...

I guess for me paying that much for a QB even Glennon type money just doesn't seem worth it if you don't view the guy as the future at the position. Such as then drafting Trubisky. I would rather use that money to then surround the rookie with more talent to give them a chance to succeed. Such as just thinking Broncos wise let's say they go draft one of those top QB's. Instead of spending $15-18 million of their cap money on McCarron I would rather spend that getting say Andrew Norwell to add to the OL and protect that QB. Plus still have more to add to other positions. Now if a team views him as the possible answer then by all means go out and spend on him. You are right he will be cheaper than many starters out there so won't be a huge risk for a team.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess for me paying that much for a QB even Glennon type money just doesn't seem worth it if you don't view the guy as the future at the position. Such as then drafting Trubisky. I would rather use that money to then surround the rookie with more talent to give them a chance to succeed. Such as just thinking Broncos wise let's say they go draft one of those top QB's. Instead of spending $15-18 million of their cap money on McCarron I would rather spend that getting say Andrew Norwell to add to the OL and protect that QB. Plus still have more to add to other positions. Now if a team views him as the possible answer then by all means go out and spend on him. You are right he will be cheaper than many starters out there so won't be a huge risk for a team.

I guess for me paying that much for a QB even Glennon type money just doesn't seem worth it if you don't view the guy as the future at the position

Well, whoever signs McCarron WOULD be making a that commitment to him. So, I am confused.

I would rather use that money to then surround the rookie with more talent to give them a chance to succeed.

I guess I don't get it... You need a starting QB. Trubisky (like MaHomes) was supposed to be a project. The Bears (like whoever else would have drafted him) did not want him to start this past season. Would you have had the Bears start Mark Sanchez? Their other QB on the roster. They needed a bridge guy, and that's what a QB costs. I don't see what the other option was. The Glennon signing also put up the smokescreen that they wouldn't be interested in Trubisky come draft time. Which helped them stay covert leading up to the draft.

Obviously, you can point out that they could have signed a better QB. lol. However, from a monetary standpoint. It wouldn't have mattered and Trubisky was their future anyway. The Bears cap space situation is quite cozy, and the Glennon deal didn't really affect that.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess for me paying that much for a QB even Glennon type money just doesn't seem worth it if you don't view the guy as the future at the position

Well, whoever signs McCarron WOULD be making a that commitment to him. So, I am confused.

I would rather use that money to then surround the rookie with more talent to give them a chance to succeed.

I guess I don't get it... You need a starting QB. Trubisky (like MaHomes) was supposed to be a project. The Bears (like whoever else would have drafted him) did not want him to start this past season. Would you have had the Bears start Mark Sanchez? Their other QB on the roster. They needed a bridge guy, and that's what a QB costs. I don't see what the other option was. The Glennon signing also put up the smokescreen that they wouldn't be interested in Trubisky come draft time. Which helped them stay covert leading up to the draft.

Obviously, you can point out that they could have signed a better QB. lol. However, from a monetary standpoint. It wouldn't have mattered and Trubisky was their future anyway. The Bears cap space situation is quite cozy, and the Glennon deal didn't really affect that.

I guess for me I'm thinking of things in terms of the Broncos. They have cap space but some of it depends on whether they can get a couple of players to restructure or not. If you are a team with lots of cap space then by all means go for it as there is a cap floor you have to meet and without having a high priced QB it gets hard sometimes to meet that when you have $100 million in cap space. For a team like the Broncos though like I said I would rather use that money to help protect a young QB then just ride with the young QB to see what they can do.

As for the first part where you said they would be making that commitment that obviously isn't true. The Bears are the great example. Everybody thought they were making the commitment to Glennon. Then they go out and use their top-2 pick on a QB. So just because a team signs McCarron doesn't mean they are committing to him long-term. In fact right now it sounds like the Browns are going to go hard after him then still use that 1st overall pick on a QB. Plan A was to do that with Alex Smith but obviously they lost out on the trade for him. So now going to do it with McCarron if they can.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess for me I'm thinking of things in terms of the Broncos. They have cap space but some of it depends on whether they can get a couple of players to restructure or not. If you are a team with lots of cap space then by all means go for it as there is a cap floor you have to meet and without having a high priced QB it gets hard sometimes to meet that when you have $100 million in cap space. For a team like the Broncos though like I said I would rather use that money to help protect a young QB then just ride with the young QB to see what they can do.

As for the first part where you said they would be making that commitment that obviously isn't true. The Bears are the great example. Everybody thought they were making the commitment to Glennon. Then they go out and use their top-2 pick on a QB. So just because a team signs McCarron doesn't mean they are committing to him long-term. In fact right now it sounds like the Browns are going to go hard after him then still use that 1st overall pick on a QB. Plan A was to do that with Alex Smith but obviously they lost out on the trade for him. So now going to do it with McCarron if they can.

Glennon and McCarron are not comparable. IMO.

Glennon had a chance to be the guy in TB and fell flat. As a UFA he was viewed as a stop-gap guy, with the asterisk of "Eh... I guess there's some upside and we'll see."

McCarron is viewed much more like a Jimmy G. Who is going to be plugged in as the guy and built around wherever he goes.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glennon and McCarron are not comparable. IMO.

Glennon had a chance to be the guy in TB and fell flat. As a UFA he was viewed as a stop-gap guy, with the asterisk of "Eh... I guess there's some upside and we'll see."

McCarron is viewed much more like a Jimmy G. Who is going to be plugged in as the guy and built around wherever he goes.

If McCarron were viewed like that of Jimmy G there would be talk of him about to get top QB money. McCarron my guess will get more in the $15-18 million range.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If McCarron were viewed like that of Jimmy G there would be talk of him about to get top QB money. McCarron my guess will get more in the $15-18 million range.

Huh?

I am talking about how Jimmy G was viewed coming out of NE. Not right now.