• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

AFCN Hate Guide

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's a defensive minded coach that thinks defenses should win ball games. All he wants out of an offense is a game-manager, capable of moving chains, putting up breadcrumbs on the scoreboard, & giving his defense rest.
Yes, I agree. I think this mindset has passed the NLF by with how wide open offenses are. You simply can't rely on ball control formula being sustainable. Tenn has done it pretty well, but even then the year over year is starting to show, they've also lucked out a bit being in the division that they've been in. They, also, have Henry. Not too many RB's like him just sitting around at the college level, or NFL level...

Defense has to be good - don't get me wrong - but at some point, you are going to face a KC, a Buff, Rams last year, Bengals, etc....a team that, at any given point, is going to put up numbers against a good defense because they are also a good offense. When that happens - do you have an offense that can get you back into the game so that your defense can get more stops, or a turnover...then, do you have a QB/offense that can take advantage of those things. If not, it doesn't matter when that defense does get good stops, or a turnover, eventually the damn will break and points are scored. It just ends up being a slow death over 4qtrs, rather than an immediate run-away train.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, I agree. I think this mindset has passed the NLF by with how wide open offenses are. You simply can't rely on ball control formula being sustainable. Tenn has done it pretty well, but even then the year over year is starting to show, they've also lucked out a bit being in the division that they've been in. They, also, have Henry. Not too many RB's like him just sitting around at the college level, or NFL level...

Defense has to be good - don't get me wrong - but at some point, you are going to face a KC, a Buff, Rams last year, Bengals, etc....a team that, at any given point, is going to put up numbers against a good defense because they are also a good offense. When that happens - do you have an offense that can get you back into the game so that your defense can get more stops, or a turnover...then, do you have a QB/offense that can take advantage of those things. If not, it doesn't matter when that defense does get good stops, or a turnover, eventually the damn will break and points are scored. It just ends up being a slow death over 4qtrs, rather than an immediate run-away train.
Very much agree with this. Tomlin is old school. We Steelers fans have been saying it for years, until Tomlin can check his ego at the door and hire someone that can run a new offensive philosophy, then they will continue to struggle on offense. Tomlin even admitted a week or 2 ago that he had his fingerprints on the offensive philosophy & even the playcalling/schemes to a degree. We were fortunate that Ben covered up these warts for as long as he did. With his pedigree Tomlin allowed him to go off-script & call his own plays. Now they have complete control over the offense and it shows.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is the argument against Baltimore's brand of offense with Lamar Jackson. It is unique, it dominates during stretches of the regular season, and it seems like it would be a great option when the weather changes. But in playoff football if they get behind and have to score quickly, they don't have any money invested in receivers and they don't have an offensive system that if flexible enough to match the conditions. I actually think Lamar is getting short changed a little by that organization - I'd like to know what he could do with better receivers.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the argument against Baltimore's brand of offense with Lamar Jackson. It is unique, it dominates during stretches of the regular season, and it seems like it would be a great option when the weather changes. But in playoff football if they get behind and have to score quickly, they don't have any money invested in receivers and they don't have an offensive system that if flexible enough to match the conditions. I actually think Lamar is getting short changed a little by that organization - I'd like to know what he could do with better receivers.
Make that, see what he can do with an NFC with better WR's. I don't want to deal with Jackson if he was to have someone else to throw to besides Andrews.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To take that 1 step further - I'd like to see what he could do with better receives AND not being much of a running threat. Can he make the throws needed, regardless of who is at WR, if the defense no longer has to worry about his legs. That's going to be a big, big key factor over the next 2-3-4+ years...because, running QB's don't run forever...and if he's using that to buoy his passing...what happens when? ...

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That Sucks The Office GIF

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chase being out - not ideal, but not a bad part of the schedule.

Higgins was looking like a potential #1 in 2020 before Chase, and he's going to command a contract here really soon. No time like the present to step up and show other teams what he can do.

Boyd/Higgins still a pretty darn good combo. Add in Hurst and of course - Burrow makes you feel like he can find the open guy, no matter who it is.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bo Jackson'ish? I hope not, but hip injuries are real easy to get over sometimes.
Bo Jackson's injury occurred because it was initially misdiagnosed and he lost blood flow to his hip area effectively killing off the bone and muscle in that area.

I'm going to guess (Having read almost nothing and not staying at a Holiday Inn last night) that he's got a type of hip avulsion fracture which occurs when a piece of bone is pulled off by the tendon/muscle. Chase has said he doesn't have any pain, and these kinds of injuries can often not be felt fully. Hopefully, that is the case - it will heal up, and then clearly he's not had any real pain issues as he played his best 2 games of the year with the injury.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Possibly the most offensive thing he's ever said.

It’s scary listening to him. He completely believes that all his senseless ramblings are coherent. I used to find it somewhat fascinating but now it’s just disturbing.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@FaCe-LeE-uS - Wasn't it nice of the Bengals to run the Matt Canada horizontal offense last night? And, Harris got to watch his spirit-animal, Joe Mixon in primetime. It really is a copycat league.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@FaCe-LeE-uS - Wasn't it nice of the Bengals to run the Matt Canada horizontal offense last night? And, Harris got to watch his spirit-animal, Joe Mixon in primetime. It really is a copycat league.
Sad I missed it... Only 229 total yds of offense? Yikes!