• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

AFCN Hate Guide

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SteelersNation is in very unfamiliar territory they haven't been in in decades this season, mediocrity.
Indeed. And a lot of those 'fans' really show their age these days. Those that haven't been through down years before and have only known Ben Roethlisberger as their QB. Same fans that wanted us to trade for Deshaun Watson or Russ Wilson this past offseason.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Indeed. And a lot of those 'fans' really show their age these days. Those that haven't been through down years before and have only known Ben Roethlisberger as their QB. Same fans that wanted us to trade for Deshaun Watson or Russ Wilson this past offseason.

Great point about the Steelers fans not old enough to remember things before Ben. I just hope those 'fans' stay loyal to the team during this time. If they don't then they aren't real Steelers fans anyway.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great point about the Steelers fans not old enough to remember things before Ben. I just hope those 'fans' stay loyal to the team during this time. If they don't then they aren't real Steelers fans anyway.
I hope they don't stay loyal. Tired of how volatile this fanbase is in the face of adversity. I may be biased, but this has to be 1 of the most hypocritical fanbases in the NFL. They are so pick-&-choosy about their viewpoints, and they fail to see the entire picture.

Like yesterday's game everyone is blaming the defense for failing to catch 4 easy INTs that were dropped... And they fail to recognize that the defense pretty much shut out the Miami offense after the 1st quarter. They held that prolific offense to just 16pts, and yet they are burying them for those dropped INTs? Not to mention do these fans really think this Matt Canada offense would have done anything with those additional opportunities? LMAO, GTFO

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope they don't stay loyal. Tired of how volatile this fanbase is in the face of adversity. I may be biased, but this has to be 1 of the most hypocritical fanbases in the NFL. They are so pick-&-choosy about their viewpoints, and they fail to see the entire picture.

Like yesterday's game everyone is blaming the defense for failing to catch 4 easy INTs that were dropped... And they fail to recognize that the defense pretty much shut out the Miami offense after the 1st quarter. They held that prolific offense to just 16pts, and yet they are burying them for those dropped INTs? Not to mention do these fans really think this Matt Canada offense would have done anything with those additional opportunities? LMAO, GTFO

Every team in every sport has those irrational fans. But I don't care for 'fans' that act like that.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My response would have been - even if they catch all 4 of those INT's - what makes anyone think that the offense is going to do something...LOL

When you are holding NFL teams below 20pts...you should be winning games...and that falls on the offense at that point.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Everyone drops Tua interceptions.... It's odd. Not sure if its because he's left-handed or what, but that dude loves throwing it to the other team - Even when they drop it. And defensive guys are on defense for a reason - Most of them can't catch. LOL. I think Pittsburgh would be a different team with a different coaching staff. Tomlin is a good team-builder, but they absolutely need new innovation on the offensive side of the ball. They're going to stunt Pickett's growth if they don't come up with something new for next season.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember when the Steelers stunk in the 80s.... But even when they stunk, they still found ways to torture the Bengals. I think this was the end for Kenny Anderson.

Pure Steel

Hoopla Cash
$ 402.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember when the Steelers stunk in the 80s.... But even when they stunk, they still found ways to torture the Bengals. I think this was the end for Kenny Anderson.

Brutal play, thought his neck was broken.....There were 4 pick 6's in that game......

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dance Dancing GIF by The Dude Perfect Show

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, they're better than 25% of the league in offensive DVOA.... It's not like they're really terrible.
What good is that when youre essentially dead last in PPG & yds per play?

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, this is one of those areas where the stats don't really tell the full story. DVOA is nice, but teams are playing more and more Cover2/Cloud/Shell coverages and forcing teams to sustain drives. This leads to better DVOA impact in some areas, but once they get down into scoring range, things tighten up and suddenly there's less room to work with, and what has been working from 20 to the 20 doesn't work - and teams (especially ones maybe with younger players) suddenly struggle.

Another red flag, as you mentioned, is the yards per play...despite teams playing back and forcing Pickett to read/react to 6-7-8 guys dropping, they still are unable to pick up yards underneath at a decent clip. That is where the lack of running has really hurt, but also likely because Pickett isn't quite yet processing check-downs fast enough and/or combined with the lack of underneath route options.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was just looking for a silver lining.... and being facetious. They do suck - And Tomlin is being stubborn.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's amazing what a good offensive coordinator can do even when talent is limited or young. Look at the Giants - There really isn't much reason for them to have a competent offense at all given their receiver situation and a QB that hasn't really shown much in his early career. The Jets have won games by simply throwing to the running back. Before the Bengals slowed down the Falcons this week, they were in the top half of DVOA and put up 28 on the 49ers.....And they have been missing Patterson.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, this is one of those areas where the stats don't really tell the full story. DVOA is nice, but teams are playing more and more Cover2/Cloud/Shell coverages and forcing teams to sustain drives. This leads to better DVOA impact in some areas, but once they get down into scoring range, things tighten up and suddenly there's less room to work with, and what has been working from 20 to the 20 doesn't work - and teams (especially ones maybe with younger players) suddenly struggle.

Another red flag, as you mentioned, is the yards per play...despite teams playing back and forcing Pickett to read/react to 6-7-8 guys dropping, they still are unable to pick up yards underneath at a decent clip. That is where the lack of running has really hurt, but also likely because Pickett isn't quite yet processing check-downs fast enough and/or combined with the lack of underneath route options.
Exactly. With regard to the Steelers, the ypp is more of a result of poor play design. Especially the routes they are running since they are primarily curls, hitches, comebacks, digs, out-routes and flats/slants... Everything is within the chains or "10yds & IN". At least as far as the 1st, 2nd & 3rd reads. It's not until the offense goes into desperation mode (typically at the end of half or 4th qtr when they're trailing), that they start to incorporate some corner/posts & fades. Those routes are mainly reserved for the 3rd or 4th progression any other time, which is usually just a method of removing a safety from the underneath stuff. It's really baffling why they don't try to stretch the field or use the middle of the field during the typical/normal offense.

The Steelers offense seems like it "plays for 3rd down", if that makes any sense... Where they are just trying to make 3rd downs manageable. I swear its like Matt Canada is a robot that just wants 3.3333yds per play to be a successful team. And I do think Tomlin plays a big role in that philosophy as well. Look no further than Tomlin's recent presser where he was focusing on what the defense can do to put the offense in better situations. Basically outwardly admitting that he doesn't trust his offense, at the same time putting his philosophy on a banner for all to see. He's a defensive minded coach that thinks defenses should win ball games. All he wants out of an offense is a game-manager, capable of moving chains, putting up breadcrumbs on the scoreboard, & giving his defense rest.
I was just looking for a silver lining.... and being facetious. They do suck - And Tomlin is being stubborn.
Man Reaction GIF by Ford