• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

AFCN Hate Guide

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See for yourself man. He doesn't have to drive at the front of someone's knees like that.

He doesn’t. His landmark isn’t even the knee. He gets his head and shoulder across the front of the runner to take him down and ensure a tackle isn’t missed. That’s not a dirty play. That’s an unlucky outcome.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He doesn’t. His landmark isn’t even the knee. He gets his head and shoulder across the front of the runner to take him down and ensure a tackle isn’t missed. That’s not a dirty play. That’s an unlucky outcome.
I agree with this. Fitzpatrick is a safety making a tackle in the open field against a powerful runner. Is he really supposed to try to hit him high? He'll get his ass taken for a ride into the endzone. I've had my complaints about some of the head hunting that Fitzpatrick has done in the past, but this seemed like a clean play with an unfortunate outcome.

I'm happy that it didn't happen on an artificial surface. We would have a million talking heads saying that Chub's leg got stuck in the carpet and that's why it bent the way it did.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These fellow AFCN fans seriously make me laugh when you bitch about inpet offenses…
Yeah, but only one of those offenses has Burrow, Chase and Higgins...and is still somehow getting less..... ;)

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I won't call it dirty because - if he tackles him up high, he's knocked into next week.

I do, however, wonder if he actually tried to wrap-tackle at the legs, rather than just launching himself like a missile - if the injury still happens.

I've said for years now, going back to when they started calling personal fouls more on hits...they are missing the mark completely. They need to start throwing flags on hits where guys are clearly not trying to wrap-tackle and are just launching themselves. Doesn't matter, IMO, where you hit someone ... if you launch without an attempt to wrap tackle - it's a flag. Safer on the legs for the offense, and safer for the defender.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fear us.

F6bScOfaIAArzo4

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with this. Fitzpatrick is a safety making a tackle in the open field against a powerful runner. Is he really supposed to try to hit him high? He'll get his ass taken for a ride into the endzone. I've had my complaints about some of the head hunting that Fitzpatrick has done in the past, but this seemed like a clean play with an unfortunate outcome.

I'm happy that it didn't happen on an artificial surface. We would have a million talking heads saying that Chub's leg got stuck in the carpet and that's why it bent the way it did.
Arms wrapped around the waist, slide to the legs, collapse ankles together, yank/lift. If you are at a goal line situation, and you are smaller than the back, so what, you go higher and try to push him back, you get run over, you get run over. The knees should be off limits. They don't allow offensive lineman to get crack back blocks on them while engaged. Running backs should be the same. They make their living running and their wages are going down with massive workloads. They should protect the running backs knees, same with WR's.

If you go shooting, they say aim for center mass. Same should be in football, you go for waist and you wrap, slide, yank. If you can't do that, you don't need to be playing football. They made rules to protect players heads and necks, and instead basically put a bounty on knees. WAIST! Use the fn waist!

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a side note, I don't think it was dirty, I just don't think a player should be able to torpedo their 200 body at a guys knees. I think rules should be in place to tackle a certain way and if you can't do it, you are going to get penalized, and then eventually ejected and fined.

Now if a guy is diving at a guys legs from behind to wrap him up, fine. That is tackling. If they are headed in different directions and the full weight of the tacklers body is going to be leveraged against a runners knees, then that should not be allowed. If you can get that much body weight behind a tackle, you should be going for the waist and wrapping up.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
micro seconds and you guys are talking technic?

holy shit...blind leading the blind here
Micro-seconds? How far did Fitzpatrick have to run to get to Chubb? If it was microseconds, Fitzpatrick would have never been in that position to begin with. Fitzpatrick came across the field, and decided, I am not going high on Chubb he will kill me, I will just launch my body at his knees and hope he goes down. I know exactly what his thinking was. His thought process is not wrong, because Chubb is a fn beast. But instead of thinking, I can't allow this TD, I need to go at his knees, I need to dive for his waist and hope he doesn't get in. If he does, he does. Chubb and Henry will own the league, it is what it is. If you can't win a battle two on one with proper tackling technique, then you do not deserve to win the battle.

The process needs to be fixed. It was not an illegal hit, because of the rules, so it wasn't dirty. It is allowed. All I am saying is the rule needs to be modified to protect guys like this.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Micro-seconds? How far did Fitzpatrick have to run to get to Chubb? If it was microseconds, Fitzpatrick would have never been in that position to begin with. Fitzpatrick came across the field, and decided, I am not going high on Chubb he will kill me, I will just launch my body at his knees and hope he goes down. I know exactly what his thinking was. His thought process is not wrong, because Chubb is a fn beast. But instead of thinking, I can't allow this TD, I need to go at his knees, I need to dive for his waist and hope he doesn't get in. If he does, he does. Chubb and Henry will own the league, it is what it is. If you can't win a battle two on one with proper tackling technique, then you do not deserve to win the battle.

The process needs to be fixed. It was not an illegal hit, because of the rules, so it wasn't dirty. It is allowed. All I am saying is the rule needs to be modified to protect guys like this.

opinions vary

BTW...you sure he went for his knees? I think in those micro seconds his thought to go low

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
opinions vary

BTW...you sure he went for his knees? I think in those micro seconds his thought to go low
I can't deny that point of view. I have no idea what Fitzpatrick's thought process was, or intent. As I said, I don't think it was a dirty play, and I think Fitzpatrick was playing within the given rules on a player much bigger and stronger than himself.

I just think the idea of throwing yourself at someones lower legs without using your arms in any way is a recipe for disaster.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think it happens multiple times per game at all levels
It does, and that is part of the issue, IMO.

When you just throw your body at someone like a projectile the target force/mass is much greater than if you were to properly break down and tackle someone. The energy of the defender is spread out more as opposed to when they just launch themselves. This would, IMO, at least reduce the risk of injury to the offensive player, also help prevent injury to the defensive player and less the liklihood of "friendly fire" on defense that we see often. Not to mention, if you did this, you wouldn't really have to worry about the targeting rule, or personal foul hits as, IMO, those would also likely be reduced.

I know many are going to think that this is a knee jerk reaction to Chubb...and it certainly is going to seem that way since it just happened, but I've been on this wagon since they introduced the targeting rule. To me, the rule for targeting and personal fouls for "hard hits" is only trying to treat the symptom. The issue is, as you've said, poor tackling technique is at all levels.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
nothing upsets me more than not wrapping and you see it every game. I'm still pissed at Diggs effort on Kittle in the playoff game.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Listen, when it comes to running an inept offense, Matt Canada is playing Chess while the rest of our teams are playing Checkers. It's really no comparison. But, lets give Zac Taylor some credit..... As @Cincyfan78 points out, he manages to look stupid with Chase, Higgins, Burrow, Boyd, and Mixon.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW - It's an upopular hot take, but Jay Gruden was the offensive coordinator that did the most with the least for the Bengals over the past 20 years. He managed to take a team to the playoffs with a rookie Andy Dalton, AJ Green, and a bunch of spare parts.