• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

AFCN Hate Guide

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cleveland has done well against Cincinnati - There really is no argument against it. Over the past two seasons, the Bengals have lost 12 regular season games. Only 3 of them have been by more than 1 score and 2 of those were against Cleveland.

As for Chase..... He played in 3 of the last 10 games they played. I'm sure it bothers some of these guys that haven't been prominently involved in the futility, just as it did when they were reminded that the Bengals hadn't won a playoff game in 30 years.
I stand corrected.... He did play two series in that season finale in 2021/2022 season. But I think we all agree that that was a glorified exhibition game.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So finally seeing the Bengal/Browns highlights, I wonder if Burrows calf is a lot worse than what is reported?

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So finally seeing the Bengal/Browns highlights, I wonder if Burrows calf is a lot worse than what is reported?
I said before I thought the injury was worse than Cincy was proclaiming it was. It lingers. The OL is still average. The Browns DL is a top 3 unit now. The weather had issues. Not much time, a lot of pressure by Cleveland and the secondary was locking down the WR’s. A combination of everything but Burrow is not healthy. Don’t think it would have mattered much honestly

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said before I thought the injury was worse than Cincy was proclaiming it was. It lingers. The OL is still average. The Browns DL is a top 3 unit now. The weather had issues. Not much time, a lot of pressure by Cleveland and the secondary was locking down the WR’s. A combination of everything but Burrow is not healthy. Don’t think it would have mattered much honestly
Oh trust me wasn’t discounting what the Browns did. :suds: Was just wondering how bad Burrows injury really is.

But that defense in Cleveland is very good and built to compete in this division.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it impacted his mobility, which is an underrated part of his game. But, he's also struggled against the Browns in the past and they have a good D. If Burrow is playing at his best, he can still be effective against a really good d-line (even with protection issues), but he wasn't even close yesterday. I suspect the Browns D will continue to really good this year - And they'll be especially good if they can get a lead and negate the running game. It was a good showing for them.

I'm not going to overreact about the Bengals or Burrow. Yes, his calf is hurt and yes they looked terrible. But, we've seen this from them before. It might look ugly for a few weeks, but if they can tread water and stay relatively healthy, they'll be fine. This is the best roster they've had in the last three years - But the slow starts seem like more of a feature rather than a bug at this point. As for Burrow.... one of his best qualities is his ability to adapt to circumstances. Now that's he's played with the injury, I think he'll figure something out. Might take a few more games, but he'll be okay.

cwerph

Go Bucks!
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it impacted his mobility, which is an underrated part of his game. But, he's also struggled against the Browns in the past and they have a good D. If Burrow is playing at his best, he can still be effective against a really good d-line (even with protection issues), but he wasn't even close yesterday. I suspect the Browns D will continue to really good this year - And they'll be especially good if they can get a lead and negate the running game. It was a good showing for them.

I'm not going to overreact about the Bengals or Burrow. Yes, his calf is hurt and yes they looked terrible. But, we've seen this from them before. It might look ugly for a few weeks, but if they can tread water and stay relatively healthy, they'll be fine. This is the best roster they've had in the last three years - But the slow starts seem like more of a feature rather than a bug at this point. As for Burrow.... one of his best qualities is his ability to adapt to circumstances. Now that's he's played with the injury, I think he'll figure something out. Might take a few more games, but he'll be okay.
These kinds of injuries don't get better without rest.

Timing doesn't get better without repetition.

These things are in conflict.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's fair to say that the Steelers should just chalk up their performance to being beaten by a much superior team that looked like they are already in mid-season form. The Niners are a juggernaut across the board and are definitely SB contenders.
The Bengals seem to struggle vs. the Browns and it was a road game as well. Burrow didn't look close to 100% but no excuses. They just got outplayed and Cleveland's D is legit. Watson still looks bad at times. It's the one thing that could hold them back but they have talent and Chubb is the most consistent RB in the game, imo.
The Ravens won ugly so a dub is a dub but Lamar looked pretty pedestrian and they need to address some issues.
Your division is gonna be a slugfest, fellas. It will definitely be entertaining to watch.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's fair to say that the Steelers should just chalk up their performance to being beaten by a much superior team that looked like they are already in mid-season form. The Niners are a juggernaut across the board and are definitely SB contenders.
The Bengals seem to struggle vs. the Browns and it was a road game as well. Burrow didn't look close to 100% but no excuses. They just got outplayed and Cleveland's D is legit. Watson still looks bad at times. It's the one thing that could hold them back but they have talent and Chubb is the most consistent RB in the game, imo.
The Ravens won ugly so a dub is a dub but Lamar looked pretty pedestrian and they need to address some issues.
Your division is gonna be a slugfest, fellas. It will definitely be entertaining to watch.

If you can’t stop the run in this division you have no hope and nothing what the Steelers did to improve on last year showed up against the Niners. Yeah Niners are a great team but no excuse to look that bad if you so called “improved”.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I stated this over on the board ... I'll reiterate it here:

Taylor does not value the preseason, and it shows. It showed last year when they had 3 new offensive linemen and missed Burrow in camp, and it showed this year when they had 2 new offensive linemen (one moving from LT to RT), and missed Burrow for most of camp. The first 2-3 games will look like the pre-season, and then by week 4 or 5 they will start to hit their stride, and hope that it is good enough.

The offense looked terrible, but not just because of Burrow. The line looked out of sync. The WR's weren't on the same page in reading defenses...they looked like they were out there playing their first pre-season game...which just baffles me, but not really because for almost all of them, it was the 1st game they've played since January.

In addition, Taylor is a poor offensive play caller and schemer. There were 4 attempts over the middle of the field. When you run only out of 5 sets, rarely mix it up, and then the majority of pass plays are sideline throws...you are really setting the offense up to fail. Taylor also needs a preseason where he can call plays for the starters and get into a bit of a rhythm.

In another year, or two, when Higgins is gone, and Lou leaves the defense to be a HC...and they take a step back...people will be shocked at how poor this offense is set up. It works because Burrow, Chase, and Higgins are better on most days than a good chunk of the NFL defenses they will face. They also have a stout defense that allows them ample opportunities. What happens when those things are no longer true? I feel that answer will be coming sooner than later.

Don't get me wrong...I think Taylor is a hell of a HC. I think he should give up his offense to someone who has some actual ability to mix and match the schemes and get the most out of Burrow and Chase. Right now, Taylor gets less out of more than almost any offensive coordinator/caller out there...and yes, I am aware we share a division with Canada. Taylor was also at Univ. Cincinnati as the OC, when he had some really good play makers and also did the same things...his tendencies don't change. Defenses can key in and read plays before the snap. His not quick to adapt to in game situations, and often overplays his hands (just look at the majority of 4th down calls, and failures over his tenure).

Bengals will be fine, because again...Burrow, Chase, Higgins, and a good defense....but it won't be sustainable....and people will be left scratching their heads why.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These kinds of injuries don't get better without rest.

Timing doesn't get better without repetition.

These things are in conflict.
You might be right. But, the dude rested for over 4 weeks. Unless that muscle was ripped off the bone, he should be doing better. I think the bigger issue is rust and Burrow not trusting it yet. He had a similar road back after the ACL - Look at those early games in 2021 and he wasn't running out of the pocket and he played too tentative at times.

If the injury is causing tightness and uncertainty to the extent that he cant' function in his normal capacity, then you shut him down for another 4 weeks and hope that you can win 2 games during that span. I don't get the sense that that is where they are.... I just think Burrow is a guy that needs to get in a rhythm and thus far he hasn't had that opportunity. Time will tell.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not good news for the Browns.

At first it was pretty deflating but he hasn't been the same player for at least the last year and he is always injured. Probably the worst move Berry has made was extending him the last offseason, he needs to retire. Good thing the Browns drafted a freak of nature, Dawand Jones. The guy looked pretty damn good in his first action after his injury. That kid has a ton of potential. More worried about Wills on the left side.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At first it was pretty deflating but he hasn't been the same player for at least the last year and he is always injured. Probably the worst move Berry has made was extending him the last offseason, he needs to retire. Good thing the Browns drafted a freak of nature, Dawand Jones. The guy looked pretty damn good in his first action after his injury. That kid has a ton of potential. More worried about Wills on the left side.

yea...Jones looks like a steal

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was a big fan of Jones leading up to the draft...would have still liked to see them draft a guy to be ready to step in next year when Williams walks.

cwerph

Go Bucks!
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You might be right. But, the dude rested for over 4 weeks. Unless that muscle was ripped off the bone, he should be doing better. I think the bigger issue is rust and Burrow not trusting it yet. He had a similar road back after the ACL - Look at those early games in 2021 and he wasn't running out of the pocket and he played too tentative at times.

If the injury is causing tightness and uncertainty to the extent that he cant' function in his normal capacity, then you shut him down for another 4 weeks and hope that you can win 2 games during that span. I don't get the sense that that is where they are.... I just think Burrow is a guy that needs to get in a rhythm and thus far he hasn't had that opportunity. Time will tell.
It really depends upon the severity of the injury. I injured my calf muscle once. My lower leg swelled to twice the size of the other leg. It took several weeks with no activity for me to even be able to walk normally.

Before you say it, no, I am not an NFL QB nor do I have access to the training staff of an NFL team. I was, at the time, in pretty good shape and worked out 6 days per week.

I like Joe a lot (Buckeye grad) and wish him well when it doesn't hurt the Browns. Yesterday the Browns caught him under perfect conditions but they also seem to have the Bengals' number even when they suck otherwise.