• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

AFCN Hate Guide

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My sister-in-law lives in Cincy and my wife came home with a can of it after visiting her. It's still in the pantry.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FsOlS1fWIAIHzFC

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think everyone wins here.... I'm happy for the Browns. I'm happy for Watson. I'm happy for Lamar. And I'm happy for the Ravens.

This is all going well from my perspective.
BREAKING NEWS

The Bengals are giving Joe Burrow a fully-guaranteed 1 billion dollar contract. Jamarr Chase texted Burrow after the record-breaking deal congratulating him and added, “I’ll be there soon my brother :lm:

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Suddenly the Ravens are panning?

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Stay for when he gets to Kevin Stefanski.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Browns & Cincy fans take a bow.

Not so much the fans in here...

OK - funny!

Though, honestly - I don't see a ton of Cincy fans talking a bunch of crap...I mean, some - sure...we've been to the SB, and made back to back AFCCCG - so it's a nice run, and it's always fun to let KC know we still hold a 3-1 edge over them recently ;) but I don't think it's been crossing too many lines...And while this made me chuckle, it brings me to a question that I've had recently with some friends and fans of other teams...

At what point do fans realize that pointing to the past doesn't hold nearly as much water with the current fans of today's sports, or maybe at what point is it time to stop pointing at the "rings" and "wins" when it has clearly been some time. I've recently had this discussion a few times with others, and I'm honestly curious. Let's use Pitt as an example (100% not trying to start shit, just using this as an example).

It's likely going to be 7 years since Pitt last won a playoff game (2017). IF they were to make, and win, a playoff game this coming season, it would be 2024...considering at this point, I don't see this team as being a true playoff threat this year (subject to change, of course) - we are maybe looking at 8+ years since the last playoff win. The last Super bowl was in 2009. I respect the hell out of that organization, but talking about 6 rings starts to ring hollow when you haven't won a playoff game fairly recently, and win 4 of those SB's were 4 decades+ ago.

2 of those rings have come from 2006/2009...so, we are going near 2 decades where a good portion of the fan base has grown up and not seen (or too young to remember) winning a SB. Before that was 1980 (IIRC). So, we are at 40 years. So, if you were born in 1980, you've seen (remember) 2 SB wins, but we are nearing now over a decade since those wins, nearing closer to 2 decades since 2006, and we've also witnessed some very recent drop-off with lack of playoff wins. So, for me personally - I respect those 2 recent SB wins, they are still fairly close, and I am old enough to remember those well....So, I give that some credence. I also give a hell of a lot of credence to the way that Pitt has destroyed Cincinnati for going on 2+ decades until recently. But when a buddy of mine, who is a Pitt fan, starts talking about 6 rings...I tell him he wasn't even alive for 4 of them...and while it "counts" of course, it just holds no sway over me in these kinds of discussions.

Also, to show that I'm not talking about this to be a dick - I have the same conversations with Cincinnati fans about Basketball (College), to which I am a HUGE fan of, probably the biggest fan of all my followings. UC is one of the top 10 programs of all time (via recent list on several sites) and top 10 winningest programs. They've won 2 national titles, have multiple Final 4's, a few Elite 8's, and Sweet 16's. But, UC has been to just 1 sweet 16 in nearly 12 years. Fans talk about these accomplishments when talking about landing recruits and I keep saying the same thing - These kids don't care about that. That was 12 years ago. They were like 5 when UC last made a 2nd weekend appearance in March...and their Parents were teens, or even younger, when UC last made an Elite 8, Final 4 - So, their parents don't even know about some of these things. Fans walk around saying "UC is a top 10 program of all time" and "Why wouldn't a recruit want to come here" - and I reply the same way each time "Because neither they, or their parents, have really experienced those times that put UC in that category. UC has been good, not great....and the Championships were in the 60's...Their grandparents may remember them, but that's it". So, all of the accolades are great, but in today's talking points - it means very little in actually - at least in my, maybe not so humble, opinion...lol

I guess, this long-winded diatribe is more reflective of the "What have you done lately" attitude - but I certainly think there is some merit in talking about past wins, championships, etc...but at some point - those are just nice talking points amongst fans of those teams - and really hold very little weight outside of that organization/Team/Fan base...thoughts??