• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

AFCN Hate Guide

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, i felt like he was criticizing the coaches more, but I agree

Wasn't the best idea to call a QB sneak on 3rd down and a long yard, but hindsight and all

That play that resulted in the 98 yard fumble recovery for a TD was very strange call.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carr's a good option if Lamar wants a long term, fully guaranteed deal

Jimmy Haslam fucked everything up by giving that scumbag Watson a fully guaranteed contract. If he's worth that then Lamar has to be worth more because his resume is better than DW's.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That play that resulted in the 98 yard fumble recovery for a TD was very strange call.
It really wasn't, though - we see guys go over the top all the time in short yardage to try and put the ball over the line. The goal-line is the most opportune time to do this, because as long as the ball breaks the plane - the play is dead and you can't fumble the ball away.

I think the overall call is fine, but the QB likely mis-judged how close he actually was (or wasn't in this case) to the goal-line. In that respect - yeah, it was a bit odd - but in general, going over the top isn't strange.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jimmy Haslam fucked everything up by giving that scumbag Watson a fully guaranteed contract. If he's worth that then Lamar has to be worth more because his resume is better than DW's.
Here's the thing, though - Watson isn't/wasn't worth that.

The Browns HAD to pay that because Watson had already told them "no" - and they screwed the pooch with Mayfield - so they were stuck. They doubled down on Watson, which in effect screwed the entire NFL with regards to pay-structure. Owners need to stand their ground here - not give in to this 1-off deal and simply paint Haslem as an inept owner whose mistake in signing Watson isn't going to hamstring the rest of the NFL into guaranteed deals.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Ravens with off season drama.

cbc kids ok GIF by CBC

:D

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It really wasn't, though - we see guys go over the top all the time in short yardage to try and put the ball over the line. The goal-line is the most opportune time to do this, because as long as the ball breaks the plane - the play is dead and you can't fumble the ball away.

I think the overall call is fine, but the QB likely mis-judged how close he actually was (or wasn't in this case) to the goal-line. In that respect - yeah, it was a bit odd - but in general, going over the top isn't strange.

When they play happened the first thing I thought of was Pete Carroll calling that pass play in the S.B. instead of handing the ball to Lynch.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the thing, though - Watson isn't/wasn't worth that.

The Browns HAD to pay that because Watson had already told them "no" - and they screwed the pooch with Mayfield - so they were stuck. They doubled down on Watson, which in effect screwed the entire NFL with regards to pay-structure. Owners need to stand their ground here - not give in to this 1-off deal and simply paint Haslem as an inept owner whose mistake in signing Watson isn't going to hamstring the rest of the NFL into guaranteed deals.

Very good point about the Browns having limited options.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Eliminating the questions of morality, legal distractions and game rust I feel much more comfortable giving Watson that contract as he's shown he can play at a consistently high level as a conventional pocket passer.
Lamar's been great at times in his career but I wouldn't want to be on the hook for a fully guaranteed deal longer than 2-3 yrs

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When they play happened the first thing I thought of was Pete Carroll calling that pass play in the S.B. instead of handing the ball to Lynch.
Yeah, hindsight is always 20/20, and while Dobbins was running well last night - it was between the 20's - the Bengals DL is pretty stout - and even Henry and Chubb had issues in short yardage against this front - so I can get behind trying to do something different. It just didn't work out. Happens.

Biggest pet peeve I have is coaches falling back on the "coaching playbook" rather than think outside the pocket. I'm OK with taking chances and living a little - but that comes with opening yourself up to a lot of critcism that most coaches are not willing to accept. When they stick to the "script" and things don't work out - they have an immediate fall-back "Not my fault - that's what we do there" rather than think for themselves and try and just go win a game.

Ravens weren't favored, and playing with house money - go get it done - I'm ok with that.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eliminating the questions of morality, legal distractions and game rust I feel much more comfortable giving Watson that contract as he's shown he can play at a consistently high level as a conventional pocket passer.
Lamar's been great at times in his career but I wouldn't want to be on the hook for a fully guaranteed deal longer than 2-3 yrs

I like watching Lamar play, he's exciting.

But I'm not a fan of running QB's like Lamar.

Alotta highlight reel plays. But those scrambling QB's are only one massive hit away from having their career changed forever.

blue_suns

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like watching Lamar play, he's exciting.

But I'm not a fan of running QB's like Lamar.

Alotta highlight reel plays. But those scrambling QB's are only one massive hit away from having their career changed forever.

You can say that about any player
And all of Lamar's injuries occurred in the pocket

Would you not want Allen? He runs wayy more reckless than Lamar ever does.

Ickey Shuffle

Do you have a minute to talk about Joe Burrow?
Supporting Member Level 1
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Bengals gotta find a way to keep Logan Wilson when the time comes. If that means letting Boyd walk for example, might have to bite that bullet.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Bengals gotta find a way to keep Logan Wilson when the time comes. If that means letting Boyd walk for example, might have to bite that bullet.
We will be keeping Wilson, but expect to lose Pratt, Bell, Bates, Apple, Boyd, Mixon, possibly Williams and Higgins. Because priority will be Burrow, Chase, Wilson.

Ickey Shuffle

Do you have a minute to talk about Joe Burrow?
Supporting Member Level 1
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We will be keeping Wilson, but expect to lose Pratt, Bell, Bates, Apple, Boyd, Mixon, possibly Williams and Higgins. Because priority will be Burrow, Chase, Wilson.

Bell and Higgins are the only ones I'll get upset losing. Not a bad trade-off all things considered.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Random thought but if Lamar's asking price is too high for the Ravens and the Bears like a top QB in the draft more than Fields then maybe Fields to the Ravens for a 1st rounder plus? A three team deal if Lamar is franchised? A lot depends on how the Bears rate the QB prospects this year but the GM and Head Coach who made the Fields pick are gone

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Random thought but if Lamar's asking price is too high for the Ravens and the Bears like a top QB in the draft more than Fields then maybe Fields to the Ravens for a 1st rounder plus? A three team deal if Lamar is franchised? A lot depends on how the Bears rate the QB prospects this year but the GM and Head Coach who made the Fields pick are gone

Not a bad idea

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can say that about any player
And all of Lamar's injuries occurred in the pocket

Would you not want Allen? He runs wayy more reckless than Lamar ever does.
Allen gets the job done in the pocket. His running is an asset, but it's not what makes him a great QB.

LJ runs to open up the passing game. He is not a pocket passer. His ability to run the ball is more directly tied to his ability to be an effective QB.

These 2 guys are not the same.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We will miss Pratt a lot more than you think.
Agreed.

Pratt has come on as one of the best graded defenders in the 2nd half of this season. His ability to play in space, make plays, and cover is really freaking good.

I say this as a guy who has not always been a fan of Pratt - but this year, he's turned it up and is a big reason why this defense is as good as it is. 2nd on the team in tackles behind Wilson.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the issue is the actual money - it's getting it guaranteed. He wants a Watson 100% guaranteed deal.

Baltimore is not interested in meeting that demand, and I don't blame them 1 bit.