• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A.L. Central Discussion 2016

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Tigers have shown they can only beat the Indians JV squad this year. You should be thanking us, we have kept you in the WC hunt, these last two games.

That really is the difference this season ... you guys should have been playing your "JV" earlier.

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Francona. Has lost control of club house. Indians remember that they are the indians. Can they stop the spiraling???

1. ''Francona. Has lost control of club house''. Didn't you say the exact same thing about Ausmus about a week ago? Doug...losing control of your bowels should be a bigger issue for you.

2. ''Indians remember that they are the indians.'' Yes. The ALC champs who outscored the Tigers in the games the two played by something like 40 runs. Tigers KNOW who they are - the team that Doug backed AND failed.

3. ''Can they stop the spiraling???'' Spiraling is sometimes a good thing. Matt Stafford should try it more often.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that difference in WHIP is bigger than it seems.

???

Verlander with 221 hits/walks in 220.2 innings.

Porcello with 215 hits/walks in 217 innings.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe I'm crazy, but I think Andrew Millers season is just as impressive as Britton's.

Not that I think either should win or anything.

I knew he was having a great year, but I had to look it up. You follow this stuff a lot closer than I do. It sure would be nice to have him back. He has a crazy K to BB ratio and a considerably lower whip. If I had to judge by just 1 pitching stat, whip would be it. Still think they should just get their own award... fireman or rolaids swallower of the year or whatever tf they call it now. CYA for starters & MVP just for everyday players, too.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i dunno......i think you have to nit-pick at that poiint- and Verlander- besides the hangover game- was just awful against the Indians this year when he could have made a real difference.

1 hit, 0 runs through 7 a couple of weeks ago. Tigers lost 1-0 but he had nothing to do with that. He had another good game against them in April, lost 2-1. He had 2 stinkers as well, 1 very early and the other was 3 months ago. He had fantastic stuff the other night, B team or not.

???

Verlander with 221 hits/walks in 220.2 innings.

Porcello with 215 hits/walks in 217 innings.

It's very possible that WL is the only thing Ricky will have over JV and as you mentioned that's run support. JV has had 7 or 8 NDs where he went 7 and gave up 2 or fewer runs... a couple of losses like that as well.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I knew he was having a great year, but I had to look it up. You follow this stuff a lot closer than I do. It sure would be nice to have him back. He has a crazy K to BB ratio and a considerably lower whip. If I had to judge by just 1 pitching stat, whip would be it. Still think they should just get their own award... fireman or rolaids swallower of the year or whatever tf they call it now. CYA for starters & MVP just for everyday players, too.
My "favorite" pitching stat is still Total Innings. Says a lot about a guy when his manager deems him staying on the mound a better option than going with a reliever. And that alters the ERA of a few guys considerably (JV, coughcough.).

I'm with you on WHIP being very telling. I like pitchers who go after batters. And guys that nibble or avoid the zone bother me. (Never really could see Arrietta as a CYA hopeful this year because of it.

And I'm the same with relievers. I don't value them nearly as much as starters. They have their own award. But I do value guys like Miller who can hold down various roles. (John Hiller is crazy underrated imo.)

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My "favorite" pitching stat is still Total Innings. Says a lot about a guy when his manager deems him staying on the mound a better option than going with a reliever. And that alters the ERA of a few guys considerably (JV, coughcough.).

I'm with you on WHIP being very telling. I like pitchers who go after batters. And guys that nibble or avoid the zone bother me. (Never really could see Arrietta as a CYA hopeful this year because of it.

And I'm the same with relievers. I don't value them nearly as much as starters. They have their own award. But I do value guys like Miller who can hold down various roles. (John Hiller is crazy underrated imo.)

I agree innings pitched is huge and that's another thing about JV I didn't mention because only those of us who watch their games can really relate. JV is never going to say "I'm done" and there have been a few times when he was clearly spent but Ausmus let him face a couple batters too many which cost him, not to mention men on base scoring as soon as one of our bullpen aces took over. His ERA would well under 3 with a manager with a brain and a decent pen... maybe I shouldn't put too much of that on Ausmus, though, considering his options.

dougplayer

D Back and ranger fans are GAF....
Hoopla Cash
$ 234.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So here's a thought ... if Justin Verlander throws blanks against the Braves on Sunday and wins the ERA title to go with his strikeout title, is he the front-runner among starters for Cy Young? His WHIP is almost identical to Porcello's (1.001 vs. 0.991), so all Porcello will have on him is wins. Given that Porcello has gotten about 75 more runs of offensive support this season than JV, I would think you throw out the wins.
Iffy says wins don't mean nuttin. Nuttin!!!!!
So I guess JV wins

dougplayer

Hoopla Cash
$ 234.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So here's a thought ... if Justin Verlander throws blanks against the Braves on Sunday and wins the ERA title to go with his strikeout title, is he the front-runner among starters for Cy Young? His WHIP is almost identical to Porcello's (1.001 vs. 0.991), so all Porcello will have on him is wins. Given that Porcello has gotten about 75 more runs of offensive support this season than JV, I would think you throw out the wins.
Iffy says wins don't mean nuttin. Nuttin!!!!!
So I guess JV wins

dougplayer

Hoopla Cash
$ 234.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dam. Have to make this game up monday
To bad. Indians spiraling now good time to play them.
Tigers ahead this series. 2-1. Monday it will be 3-1

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree innings pitched is huge and that's another thing about JV I didn't mention because only those of us who watch their games can really relate. JV is never going to say "I'm done" and there have been a few times when he was clearly spent but Ausmus let him face a couple batters too many which cost him, not to mention men on base scoring as soon as one of our bullpen aces took over. His ERA would well under 3 with a manager with a brain and a decent pen... maybe I shouldn't put too much of that on Ausmus, though, considering his options.
Yep. It's kinda one of those things you have to see to appreciate. If you just look at JVs numbers, it's tge 1st inning that bites him Over his career. But it's that last inning he starts out that gets his numbers up. (When was the last time he's had trusted arms to come in for him? Usually ends up being his game to Win, or lose.)

And I'm not anti Ausmus. I like that he lets his vets do their their thing. (Victor took a cut on 0-3 the other day. And I know nobody gave him the green light. He knows situational hitting as well as anyone else in that dugout. He's trusted to act on his judgement.). Wish he'd go back to what he did his first couple of months on the job. Pushing aggressive base running, but there's only so much you can do with what he has.

But I do think Brads biggest flaw is being overly patient. (Starting pitching, hitting slumps, close games... He doesn't panic, or press.) Leyland was overly loyal. Not the worst thing to have for flaws imo.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dam. Have to make this game up monday
To bad. Indians spiraling now good time to play them.
Tigers ahead this series. 2-1. Monday it will be 3-1

Yeah but where does the season series stand between the Tribe & Tigers?:crazy: I know you won't mention that.

dougplayer

Hoopla Cash
$ 234.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Indians catch a break. After losing 4 of last 5 games. Game postponed today. They can rest.figure out how to stop this slide. I call it the great slie of September 24

dougplayer

Hoopla Cash
$ 234.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where's da bums??? We haven't heard from him in awhile. I know he wasn't to smart. But I tried to teach him the game. Didn't he predict another royals WS??

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You really are a trip.